Star Wars The Rise Of Skywalker - the last film in the saga

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Achtung Englander

Star Wars The Rise Of Skywalker - the last film in the saga

Post by Achtung Englander » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:15 am

What I am beginning to appreciate is that the saga is a complete mess and beyond salvageable in any meaningful way - so the only option is to watch it all burn. The fact that Star Wars fans have stopped caring and begin to enjoy Disney try to unfuck itself is actually a thing to admire.

Time travel :lol:

Oh please do this and make Star Wars utterly irrelevant. This is a perfect lesson on how money corrupts originality.

A shiny object infront of a cat - this is such a perfect description of shills and fanboys (and girls) who think nothing of criticism or intelligence so long as its shiny and more of it.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Wrathbone
Local

Re: Star Wars The Rise Of Skywalker - the last film in the saga

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:20 pm

You know, there are people who do have a smidgen of critical insight and appreciate the new films, and saying that Star Wars is now unsalvageable is an attitude I can't take seriously. I can accept people not liking Last Jedi (I do like it for the most part), but condemning a film that's not even out for another five months is pretty silly.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:46 pm

Yeah, I thoroughly disagree with the premise that the Star Wars franchise is in trouble. The Last Jedi was not a perfect film, I'll grant you that, but it was still the top grossing film of 2017 raking in some 1.3 billion dollars. Don't let a vocal minority of people who probably refer to themselves as "true fans" trick you into thinking that it's not still ridiculously successful.

And I just don't buy a lot of the criticism Last Jedi earned. I loved the direction they took with Luke (they could so easily have taken the very straight old mentor role that Obi Wan played in New Hope), I loved the idea and execution of his finale, and I still maintain that Kylo Ren is an excellent antagonist. Snoke's death, the entire Cantobite arc and the continued underuse of Captain Phasma were the only real problems I had with it.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:01 pm

I’m waiting to see if/how Rise of Skywalker recontextualises Snoke’s death. My gut feeling is that there’s more to it yet. Otherwise I completely agree on all points.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:29 am

The problem I have with how they deal with Snoke is that it's painfully clear that there isn't a properly planned out narrative arc between the new movies due to them being made by different people. I can judge and enjoy them as standalone movies but I don't feel like there is a real narrative that binds them together in the same way that Empire so brilliantly leads into Jedi.

It doesn't help that The Last Jedi is a complete car crash of a movie either.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:55 pm

Mantis wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:29 am
I don't feel like there is a real narrative that binds them together in the same way that Empire so brilliantly leads into Jedi.
I do get what you mean, there was a definite disconnect in feel between the two films that was almost certainly caused by the change in direction from the top. However you're comparing episodes two and three of the original trilogy to episodes one and two of the new one. Don't forget there was a major change in feel between New Hope and Empire too.

The Jackal

Post by The Jackal » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:56 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:15 am

What I am beginning to appreciate is that the saga is a complete mess and beyond salvageable in any meaningful way - so the only option is to watch it all burn. The fact that Star Wars fans have stopped caring and begin to enjoy Disney try to unfuck itself is actually a thing to admire.

Time travel :lol:

Oh please do this and make Star Wars utterly irrelevant. This is a perfect lesson on how money corrupts originality.

A shiny object infront of a cat - this is such a perfect description of shills and fanboys (and girls) who think nothing of criticism or intelligence so long as its shiny and more of it.
Hilarious and depressing at the same time, that video.
Mighty Horse Rocks The Fat Ass.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:32 am

Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:03 am

To save me 8 minutes, is there anything in that video other than standard Star Wars Disney bashing? As in, is there any actual new or meaningful insight above and beyond the tiresome rhetoric?

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:11 am

It's just 8 minutes of hating on everything about the new trilogy, I'd save your time.

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:59 pm

Well, I enjoyed Episodes 7 & 8 and I'm looking forward to 9.
Between tedium and fright
Such is the song of the nether world
The hissing of rats
And the jarring chants of angels

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:45 pm

New footage in the second half of the video.

Strudel

Post by Strudel » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:58 pm

Thoroughly unimpressive. What a spectacularly dull second trailer.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:00 pm

I’m confused by the folding double lightsaber at the end. What’s the benefit of having it folded?

Not convinced that’s the Rey we know, either.

Also, since it’s not immediately obvious, those aren’t First Order destroyers - they’re old school Empire-era star destroyers. Could our old pal Palpy have resurfaced and been secretly gathering forces for the past 30 years?

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:05 pm

From the little I've read online, it seems that this plot may be drawing a lot of influence from certain Expanded Universe material where the Empire hid in the far unexplored corners of the galaxy while trying to clone a new Emperor.

The Rey clip is probably a dream or vision that she experiences as an omen of what she might become, I can't see Disney being bold enough to really allow her to turn to evil. I also think the folding saber looks hilariously naff.