Currently Playing

Steam, Deals & More.
Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Re: Currently Playing

Post by Medicine Man » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:58 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:17 pm
Yeah, probably will at that. Bought a few things recently, individually fairly cheap but has added up a bit... not least £15 on Automachef only for it go free on Twitch Prime days later :x
Were you not able to refund that sucker then?

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:59 pm

Medicine Man wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:58 pm
Sly Boots wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:17 pm
Yeah, probably will at that. Bought a few things recently, individually fairly cheap but has added up a bit... not least £15 on Automachef only for it go free on Twitch Prime days later :x
Were you not able to refund that sucker then?
I'd already played about a dozen hours, so don't think so no :(

elgaucho

Post by elgaucho » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:47 pm

Florey and i have been playing a good deal out of this month's Humble Bundle - the Slay the Spire roguelike card game.

It's a good thing when a game passively draws you into its play style and plenty relaxing. very recommended! 8-)
Proud PW Member since 15/10/2003
A lurktastic 2678 posts!

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:04 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:55 pm
Both DLC are excellent.

FFS, this is becoming inevitable. ](*,) I do kind of want to replay with Geralt being a jerk to everyone wherever possible.
@ Wrathbone
Spoiler
I couldn't help myself any longer :lol:

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:36 am

Yarrrr, yarrr... I too have caved. :oops:

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:37 am

I think I am rapidly approaching a replay of TW3. Will have to do it on New Game Plus though, I haven't the patience to go hunting down those armour pieces again.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:38 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:36 am
Yarrrr, yarrr... I too have caved. :oops:
Somehow... somehow I knew :lol:

(edit: I did help the old lady with her pan problem, despite it looking in the screenshot like I was about to tell her to stick it... from his expression Geralt was clearly tempted as well).

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:29 am

I always start second playthroughs with the intention of being a dick, but I can never seem to go the distance and always fall back into the kiss-ass goody-goody that I always play.

Except in Alpha Protocol of course where being a dick is never optional, it's the only way to go. :)

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:56 pm

Part of the problem is that in many games, being a dick means quests often end abruptly or everyone becomes hostile. Games which allow you to be a wonderfully unpleasant arsehole without resorting to mass slaughter are far and few between. It's one of the things I love about Mass Effect - you can still be the hero, but occasionally you can play a version of Shepard that has no qualms with dropkicking a hapless goon off a building because he didn't answer questions satisfactorily.

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:12 am

Just played through Another World: 20th Anniversary Edition for the second time (though I can't remember when I last played it -- it guess it was 2011?)

Really good, classic game.

Also been playing through the Monkey Island series. #3 starts out really good, but the ending is horribly rushed, and #4 is unbelievably bad.
Between tedium and fright
Such is the song of the nether world
The hissing of rats
And the jarring chants of angels

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:14 pm

I still get goosebumps when I hear the theme tune to Monkey Island. Love it. Can still the dark blues and yellow on the title screen (Amiga)
-- To be completed at some point --

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:18 pm

Recently played through all the Monkey Island games with my daughters (they mostly watching but often offering suggestions as to what we should do) and had a whale of a time. Curse is under-rated, I think... it's probably the third best of the four original games, but the first two are masterpieces so it's a high bar and it's not far off that quality. The fourth game is poor by comparison - it has its moments but the act of actually controlling Guybrush made me want to murder something after awhile.

We're slowly working our way through the Telltale episodic Tales of Monkey Island games, which are diverting enough but hard to really recommend unless you're already a fan of the series, recently started the last episode of that.

It should be mentioned how absolutely spot-on the casting of Guybrush's voice actor (Dominic Armato?) is, nails the role. Just read that he was a fan of the first two games before getting cast for Curse (and keeping the role ever since), which is kinda cool.

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:15 pm

Yes, I have been playing them with my kids too. They have really been enjoying the series, but I am finding #4 really hard to deal with, in terms of its horrific degradation of quality in nearly every way. The graphics, controls, plot, puzzles, and voice-acting are shockingly bad. I don't know what the development team were thinking, but it truly heralded the sunset of LucasArts "golden years" .
Between tedium and fright
Such is the song of the nether world
The hissing of rats
And the jarring chants of angels

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:35 am

I've a soft spot for 4, but its final act is an abomination. If I'm honest with myself, ignoring the part of my brain that insists the start of 1 or the middle of 2 are near-perfect, my favourite chapter from all the Monkey Island games is the start of Curse, up to and including the seafaring bit. The puzzles and the humour in it are phenomenal.

I rest my case with this:

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:37 am

I still occasionally sing the 'There's a Monkey in my Pocket' song :)

I agree that Curse is a bit of an under-rated gem - it's one of the few that even replaying and knowing the solutions I still tend to exhaust all the options in puzzles and dialogues just to hear all the responses - like trying to join the barber shop quartet or faking your own death at the Goodsoup villa (the sight of them becoming progressively more weary as Guybrush keels over 'dead' yet again gets me every time :lol:).

The art-style has also aged surprisingly well, certainly 1000% better than the 3D in Escape.