Switch & Nintendo News/Discussion

Console Country!
Raid
Local

Re: Switch & Nintendo News/Discussion

Post by Raid » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:32 pm

The SNES games prompted me to finally grab the free year of the online service from Twitch Prime. They could so easily have drip fed a load of crock like they largely did with the NES games, but they've launched with a good portion of the best 16-bit games ever made. Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Super Metroid, A Link to the Past, F-Zero, Mario Kart, Starfox... all gold. We're only really missing some solid JRPGs, though that may be met by Breath of Fire, which I've never played (it was never released on the SNES in Europe, only the GBA later). I mostly just want Final Fantasies 5 and 6, though I suspect we won't get them as part of the virtual console but rather their own releases.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:39 am

So I had an issue whereby I couldn't download the SNES software from the on-console e-shop; there was a message on the page stating it couldn't be used when on a free trial. I got around it by downloading it to the console via the web shop. I'm not sure whether this is intentional behaviour or not. And because actually finding a download page on the web shop is a pain in the arse, here is the link:

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Ninten ... 32515.html#

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:04 pm

Strudel

Post by Strudel » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:26 pm

What.

The.

Fuck.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:41 pm

Why it's the new Nintendo Chastity Belt™ of course.

Abs_McBain

Post by Abs_McBain » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:56 pm

That better be a unlockable weapon for whatever future DLC is coming out for Hitman 2.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:53 pm

Oaf ya fucker! They've actually called it Ring Fit Adventure. :lol:

Whaaaaat da fuuuuuuuuuu....

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:28 pm

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:02 pm

I want this, I really do, but I'm not prepared to pay £50 for a remake of what was a relatively short game by modern standards. They've done a really nice job with updating the game - the presentation is gorgeous, but there's just not enough new from the sounds of it to warrant paying full price.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:58 am

Yeah that's partly why I cancelled my pre-order, £40 just seemed a bit too much for a remake. The dungeon creator might add some extra replayability but as it stands I think I'll pass for now.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:24 pm

£199.99 for a Switch Lite with a copy of Link's Awakening for free on Curry's pre-order right now for those who haven't bought the console yet.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:25 pm

I bought Link's Awakening like a chump. I never played the original so I've no frame of reference, but it's a lot of fun.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:18 pm

I don't think you're a chump for buying Link's Awakening; I didn't make it obvious in my previous post but my comments are largely down to the fact that I played the original and much as I love what they've done with it, I don't want to spend £50 for a game I've already completed before. It's a bloody excellent game, on par with Link's Awakening if you don't mind the slight oddness that runs through the game.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:53 am

So someone I work with very kindly let me borrow their copy of Link's Awakening. The game is superb, as it always was, and I reckon it ought to appeal just as much to new players as it does for those with nostalgia for the original. The dungeons are intricate and well designed, a reminder of probably the biggest omission from Breath of the Wild (at the time I considered the Divine Beasts suitable replacements, but I've now reconsidered that opinion). That being said, going back to a limited bomb loadout feels a bit tedious compared to BotW's infinite supply, with parts of the third dungeon made a little repetitive needing to grab a large enough supply to get you through the mini boss, which gives you no way of replenishing your stock (and if you run out you basically need to run away and start from scratch next time).

The biggest surprise though is a bit of a puzzling one; the game is poorly optimised with framerate issues throughout both in docked and handheld mode. It's not awful by any means and it seems to mostly happen as the game loads more terrain, but while it's a very pretty game, it's still quite simple looking and it doesn't feel like it should be taxing the Switch like this. I'd noticed the issue on videos I'd watched, but it's worse in person (perhaps video compression masks it somewhat).

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:30 pm

And that's Link's Awakening finished. It's brilliant. I don't really have much to add to my comments above. I'd be a bit hesitant to recommend it at £50 though, given how short a game it is. The Switch has an irritating lack of clarity when it comes to giving you your total time played, but I doubt it took me more than about 12 hours to play through, and that's with the majority of the optional stuff finished.