Re: The return of the D&D campaign: This time it's potatoes

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:27 pm

This is just crying out to be abused, mercilessly :lol:

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:28 pm

Just checking to see whether I can learn polymorph too. -_-

The beast list that you can pick from is relatively limited so it's not massively easy to abuse.

That was a really fun session. Happy that I actually got to use the actor feat that I took so many levels ago for something constructive rather than just tricking people into wanton violence.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:36 pm

Yeah, I was pleased to be able to fire off my fancy new 2nd level spell, although by 'restrain' I did assume it meant he couldn't fight for the duration... where in fact all I did was ensure he remained locked in place beating the shit out of Char :lol:

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:20 am

Yeah, I thought it was the other one that was locked in place, otherwise I would have Misty Stepped to the back of the room. Casting that uses one of my available spells so I don't like to overuse it; I expected the pirate attacking me would have just moved the three or four steps that I could have teleported.

And I absolutely took polymorph because I thought it gave the most options for shenanigans.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:29 am

I was mistaken about the restrained condition (I was confusing it with grappled). A restrained creature cannot move, but they also have disadvantage on attack rolls and attacks against them have advantage. They also have disadvantage on dexterity saving throws. A grappled creature cannot move, but can attack normally. So apologies for that - will remember for next time!

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:37 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:29 am
I was mistaken about the restrained condition (I was confusing it with grappled). A restrained creature cannot move, but they also have disadvantage on attack rolls and attacks against them have advantage. They also have disadvantage on dexterity saving throws. A grappled creature cannot move, but can attack normally. So apologies for that - will remember for next time!
Ah, good to know, that makes it a bit more useful than I thought after last night.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:38 am

The Unmentionables set down to rest at the inn in Port Llast, but before long they were awoken with a start from Slythe's intruder alarm as filthy pirates kicked down the door to their room. Ever valiant, Sage sprung into action by leaping out the window, leaving his friends to battle the ARRRR-ing and YARRRR-ing buccaneers. Not without a plan, however, he disguised himself as someone resembling a captain, ran round the building and through the front door, coming face to face with another large group of salty dogs. Without hesitation, he barked orders at them to go help with some other trouble across town, and being bloodlusty dolts they charged out the door without question. Upstairs, Slythe, Charr and the still-inebriated Hamfist hacked, shot and flamed away at the pirates, with Charr turning one pirate into a frog and Slythe making cunning use of a bedsheet to render himself invisible to the naked eye. Hamfist revelled in his element, burying his axe into whatever parts of his quarry he could reach. Meanwhile, Sage dimension-doored himself back upstairs into a different room, terrifying the occupants as his fiendish form materialised before them.

After some close-cut scrapping, the Unmentionables subdued (that is to say, slaughtered) the pirates, capturing their leader, Second High Captain Barri Baram - the suspicious halfling pirate who had been eyeballing them in the bar earlier that evening. As they interrogated him, it seemed the rumours of the Luskan captains harassing trade along the Sword Coast were accurate, and that the actions of the Unmentionables had not gone unnoticed. All the captains had been given their description along with orders to kill on sight. After reaching an accord to let him free in exchange for information, Barri also confessed he'd been sent to represent the pirates at a meeting at a nearby ruined tower two hours past dawn, where new orders would be assigned. The pirates, the drow and Zhentarim mercenaries would all be there in collaboration. Satisfied with the vital intel, Sage swiftly reneged on the agreement with Barri and slit his throat. Not content with having butchered the captain and his crew, Sage also suggested that burning the inn to the ground would suitably cover their tracks and provide a significant distraction as they fled the village. Slythe was less enthused by this plan, and even Charr and his love of all things on fire (and of setting things on fire) thought this would be crossing some unspecified line, and so it was agreed that they would hide the bodies, rest up and set out at dawn. Clearly beside themselves in terror, the barkeep and other residents of the inn caused no interruptions to the blissful slumber of the adventurers in their blood-soaked room.

At dawn, the Unmentionables headed north-east into the treeline of the Neverwinter wood. Before long they found the ruined tower and planned their approach: Sage would disguise himself as Barri Baram, while Charr would accompany him disguised as Generic Pirate. Slythe would sneak around the far side of the tower and scale the rubble into a collapsed opening in the wall to scout around. Hamfist would remain silent and attempt to camouflage the horses with assorted foliage. The plan set, Slythe sneaked inside and overheard a call to start the meeting. Sage and Charr sauntered up to the two drow guards at the entrance and verified their authenticity with a heartfelt "Arrrrr, matey!" or two. Inside, several drow, a bugbear and a hobgoblin berated Fake Barri for being late. The drow clearly in charge, a sneering priestess, announced that the time had come - the demon army was being mustered, and all Zhentarim, Luskan and drow forces should meet at Helm's Hold just outside Neverwinter in three days. There they would assault the poorly-defended keep and use it as a foothold for invading Neverwinter on the fourth day. When asked about Brior, she told of how he was once a drow, but volunteered to be sacrificed and resurrected into the body of a gnome so that Neverwinter could be infiltrated. She praised his deeds and venerated him as having achieved the greatest honour a wretched male could hope for.

As the meeting disbanded, the party regrouped and decided to contact Khelben Blackstaff in Waterdeep (via Sage's newly-acquired direct line to him) to warn him of the coming invasion and to ask him to send word to Neverwinter. Blackstaff agreed with a sigh of resignation. With little time to spare, the Unmentionables rushed north through the woods to the gates of Gauntlgrym, where they would be both the bearers and receivers of grave tidings...

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:19 am

Top stuff once again :)

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:48 pm

I can do Wednesday this week ideally, but Tuesday or Thursday should be possible if not.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:58 pm

Any of those should be fine for me.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:02 pm

Wednesday is good for me.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:23 pm

Any should be good for me.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:36 pm

Excellent, let's aim for Wednesday then. :)