Mantis
Landlord

Re: I Just Watched (Films)

Post by Mantis » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:30 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:10 pm
Joker

9/10
Just got back from seeing it myself and have to agree.

Holy crap, what a movie. My initial reaction when the credits rolled were at how dark and grim it was. Phoenix gives an absolutely sublime performance.

I've seen various reviews online from critics saying it incites violence and whatnot, but frankly if someone is on the verge of committing terrible acts then any one thing can tip them over the edge, this movie won't necessarily be that thing. Apart from what I would consider to be a nitpick of the fact that I think it portrays the wealthy in slightly too much of a cliché, trope way where they are all unlikable (which A. May honestly isn't that far from reality with the characters portrayed and B. I think is clearly done on an exaggerated basis to make Arthur's character more sympathetic, because it is a movie afterall), overall I don't think this movie in any way celebrates the violence.

Whilst they may be essentially one and the same, this movie isn't so much a celebration of the birth of the super villain, the Joker, as it is a tragedy of the downfall of Arthur Fleck. It's a harrowing tale of an absolutely broken man.

I may have to go see it again.

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:51 am

I'm feeling a lot more "together" this week, but I've sorta missed my time window for a cinema visit; I'll try to see it some afternoon next week.
Last edited by Stormbringer on Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Between tedium and fright
Such is the song of the nether world
The hissing of rats
And the jarring chants of angels

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:39 am

The idea that this film incites violence because it does not employ CGI bullcrap but all the other DC or Marvel films with their exploitative CGI shite is you know....for kids...tells me the media and woke people are seriously fucked up in how they think
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:01 am

Achtung Englander wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:39 am
the media and woke people are seriously fucked up in how they think
Most people are, to be fair.
Between tedium and fright
Such is the song of the nether world
The hissing of rats
And the jarring chants of angels

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:32 pm

I don't think it's the lack of CGI that people are criticising and saying incites violence. It's the problem that some incel types might take the example of a mentally troubled man who is at rock bottom and starts brutally killing those who cross him as a vindication for that sort of behaviour.

Quite a few reviewers are unable to detach their own political agenda from their view on the movie though. I disagree with those critics. This movie is just a piece of artistic expression and there will always be those who find ways of twisting art to suit their own agenda. That doesn't mean we shouldn't have movies like this which are very dark in nature.

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:09 pm

Joker

Pretty good! Another DC film thats better than the Marvel ones ;)

Pheonix is fantastic as always and its Bobbys best role in decades.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:07 pm

Mantis wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:32 pm
I don't think it's the lack of CGI that people are criticising and saying incites violence. It's the problem that some incel types might take the example of a mentally troubled man who is at rock bottom and starts brutally killing those who cross him as a vindication for that sort of behaviour.
I agree but what short memories we have. Rambo and Falling Down anyone ? People are so sensitive now.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:43 pm

Yeah but look at the fuckwits that have slimed out of the woodwork in the past few years. Incel's, what the actual fuck..

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:57 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:07 pm
Mantis wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:32 pm
I agree but what short memories we have. Rambo and Falling Down anyone ? People are so sensitive now.
I don't think people are much different to how they've always been. Great movies have come out in the 70s, 80s and 90s which have attracted plenty of controversy over how they depict violence but ultimately have ended up being regarded as classics.

I disagree entirely with the directors comment that you can't make comedies anymore because of "woke culture" though. What you can't really make anymore is overtly misogynistic or racist movies for cheap laughs and he seems to have taken an issue with that.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:27 pm

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:46 am

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ente ... 49961.html

Absolute nonsense article. But quite nicely highlights the level that many are stopping to trying to bash this movie. The comments section talks a lot more sense.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:47 am

Watched El Camino last night on Netflix.

It was pretty decent. While I would have been perfectly happy with the end of Jesse's arc as it was at the end of BB, it was nice to see what happened to him after his escape and some more details of what happened to him during his captivity. Plus it was good seeing most of the cast together for one last hurrah (there are flashbacks, so you get to see the ones who died during the show).

All in all, if you liked BB you'll like this.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:22 am

I really enjoyed it apart from
Spoiler
chunky Todd, which was a bit jarring.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:31 am

Hatredsheart wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:22 am
I really enjoyed it apart from
Spoiler
chunky Todd, which was a bit jarring.
Yeah, the actor has changed a fair bit in the however many years it's been since BB ended. I wondered at first if filming him from below through the grating was a deliberate ploy to mask that somewhat, but then a few minutes later you see him properly so obviously not.

It was just as hard though suspending disbelief when a clearly much older Aaron Paul has a flashback to one of his early conversations with another character. At least he had a hat to hide the receding hairline :lol:

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:14 am

I really enjoyed it too. Not sure it was necessary but I always like seeing Vince Gilligan's work, and it was good tying up all the loose ends that season 5 of BB didn't quite touch.
Spoiler
Cranston had such a small part but it was perfect, such a good summation of Walt's character with the simple line "At least you didn't have to wait your whole life to do something special".