Favourite Films

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Favourite Films

Post by Stormbringer » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:07 am

Mine absolutely has to be Gladiator (2000). This was the first "historical epic" I saw in the cinema and it was a life-changing moment. It set a new standard for me in terms of "what sort of things I enjoy" and I think it was probably a landmark in the history of film-making itself. I went with my Dad in what I guess must have been the Easter Holidays of 2000, and I think it was one of those very rare moments when I felt like I actually connected with him through our enjoyment of the film.

Most memorable line: "The frost. Sometimes it makes the blade stick."
Between tedium and fright
Such is the song of the nether world
The hissing of rats
And the jarring chants of angels

Maturin

Re: Favourite Films

Post by Maturin » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:16 am

I do rather like Gladiator. I particularly like the whole atmosphere the film has, especially with many of Commodus' scenes, they really bring home his oddness. Although he's reprehensible in some ways, it's pretty obvious he's all alone in the world, apart from his sister who is desperate to escape his clutches. Joaquin Phoenix is the real star of the film for me.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:29 am

Blade Runner Directors Cut.
Because it's Blade Runner ffs. And with no voice over.
I remember sitting in the cinema when the theatrical cut was released, with my jaw on the floor, but this is so much better.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 π–‹π–Šπ–†π–— π•Ώπ–π–Š π•½π–Šπ–†π–•π–Šπ–—

Pew-Pew

Post by Pew-Pew » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:31 am

Apocalypse Now or Die Hard are the ones that first come to mind.

Two quite different choices. Obviously AN is more of a classic film, with maybe a bit more thinking involved/more to take in, but I think that Die Hard is essentially the perfect action film.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:34 am

Yeah if we're talking favourite films we just love to sit down and rewatch, for me it's Aliens.

If I were to stick my purist hat on and choose 10 films which I think are the best ever made, Aliens wouldn't be in there. But it's probably my favourite to watch.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:16 pm

I agree, it'd have to be two separate lists really, because it just wouldn't feel right putting Last Action Hero or Predator in with something like Casablanca.

My list of all-time greats is fairly extensive so it'd be hard to pick a favourite, but one of the first things I think of if someone asks me the question, other than Blade Runner, Godfather and Scarface is A Matter of Life and Death from 1946. I absolutely adore that movie.

Yes, Mr. Farlan, nothing is stronger than The Law in the Universe, but on Earth nothing is stronger than Love.

Strudel

Post by Strudel » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:25 pm

I'm not sure I could pick one favourite, but two films I could watch over and over again are The Prestige and Cloud Atlas.

RE: Gladiator, I got to see it live at the Royal Albert Hall a couple of months ago and it is still a fantastic film. I probably hadn't seen it in over a decade but to hear the swell of the orchestra as The Battle hits its stride, or The Glory of Rome ... fantastic moments in an incredibly well made film.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:59 pm

Mantis wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:16 pm
I agree, it'd have to be two separate lists really, because it just wouldn't feel right putting Last Action Hero or Predator in with something like Casablanca.

My list of all-time greats is fairly extensive so it'd be hard to pick a favourite, but one of the first things I think of if someone asks me the question, other than Blade Runner, Godfather and Scarface is A Matter of Life and Death from 1946. I absolutely adore that movie.

Yes, Mr. Farlan, nothing is stronger than The Law in the Universe, but on Earth nothing is stronger than Love.
Absolute classic. I watch the dvd at least 3 or 4 times a year, never gets old, which is ironic considering it's over 70.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 π–‹π–Šπ–†π–— π•Ώπ–π–Š π•½π–Šπ–†π–•π–Šπ–—

Gibby

Post by Gibby » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:27 pm

I think Master and Commander ranks highly for me. A pretty niche genre, anything naval, but it is a brilliantly engaging film. You could tell Crowe loved playing Lucky Jack as well.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:30 pm

Wow, I'd totally forgotten about that movie! I remember rewatching it years ago on my brother in law's surround sound system, it was quite an experience. The way the cannon fire, creaking sounds of the ship and movement of the ocean was mixed for 5.1 was really an astounding job.

I may have to watch it again soon.

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:33 pm

That was a great one indeed, though I have to say, I found it hard to stomach what I perceived to be film's justification of a slightly less-than-manly man committing suicide because he wasn't manly enough. Also, the surgery scene was a bit intense.
Between tedium and fright
Such is the song of the nether world
The hissing of rats
And the jarring chants of angels

Gibby

Post by Gibby » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:43 pm

I don't think the film was suggesting he was right to do that. I think it was another example of how horrible life at sea could be, especially if your fellow crew members despise you.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:45 pm

It's fleshed out much more in the book. Superstition was rife in those days, especially at sea.

But yes, it's a great film.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:40 pm

Mantis wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:16 pm

Mantis marry me.

I adore that film. That and 2001 A Space Odyssey

"Peter, don't forget your book".

The top 10 is a shifting list but the films that always make the grade are mostly pre 80s

A Matter Of Life & Death
Three Days Of The Condor
The French Connection
What's Up Doc
Orlando
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:15 pm

This is a favourite, not the favourite, but Star Trek III: The Search for Spock. I couldn't tell you how many times I've watched it; hell, we had a Betamax copy when I was a kid, which gives you an idea of how many years I've been coming back to it. There's an unofficial rule with Star Trek films; the even numbered ones are good, and the odd numbered ones aren't, and if you ask me this is the one that breaks that rule the most. I'm well aware that this hits every nostalgic bone in my body, and it's not really a good film by most people's standards, but I love pretty much everything about it. The script has that cheesy, slightly poetic feel to it that Star Trek had prior to about 1990, and every actor puts in a performance that suits it perfectly. I do maintain that James Horner's soundtrack is phenomenally good, continuing with the adventurous naval theming from the previous film, albeit slightly reined in from Khan's military bombast to suit the more personal story.

And it is personal. It's a story of camaraderie, of bravery, and of doing what you believe is right no matter the cost. I love it.