I Just Watched (Films)

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Animalmother
Local

Re: I Just Watched (Films)

Post by Animalmother » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:34 am

I enjoyed it as well, pretty much a long episode of BB.
Spoiler
Nice to see Robert Forster get a final bit of screen time, I think he died the day before this came out

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:14 pm

In The Tall Grass
It’s not bad, goes a bit needlessly off the rails a bit trying to pad out a short story but it’s not bad. Hadn’t read the short before hand but have done now and I much prefer the more focused plot of the short.

Gemini Man
Way better than I expected. The CG is good when it’s good and ducking baaaaaad when it’s not. I really liked that they let Danny believably kick ass and not have her need to be rescued by Smithat all. There’sa lot of dumb and a few logical long jumps but after expecting trash it surprised me.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Tichinde

Post by Tichinde » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:49 pm

Venom
The first half is great.
The second half flips the tone and dials the barmy up to 11.

It's never going to win awards, but it's damn good fun.
"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:01 pm

El Camino

I really like the fact that Vince Gilligan takes BB so seriously and does not pander too much to fan idolatry. Characters who have nothing to do with Jesse do not appear and old characters get a voice in flashbacks that actually mean something. It is a shame it took near on 6 years for it to appear as the actors really have moved on and as said here, it is a tad jarring. I rewatched the last episode of BB before starting the film and no matter how much you can pretend this is a day or two after Jesse escapes all the actors look 5 years older, especially Jesse Plemons who not only has put on a lot of weight, his face looks heavier to, making the flashbacks nonsensical. Never mind.

I enjoyed it a lot

7/10
Last edited by Achtung Englander on Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:29 am, edited 12 times in total.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:51 pm

A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon

What a disappointment. You can tell this was not made by Nick Park as it had no British humour that made previous Aardman studio work so unique and special. Dare I say you can feel it had the house of mouse all of it as there numerous references to Disney. Bland and completely missed opportunity

5/10

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:36 pm

El Camino

Very much enjoyed it, even if deep down I know that it wasn’t necessary to ‘complete’ BB.
Spoiler
I didn’t really get the Stockholm Syndrome scene where Jesse could have shot Todd but chose not to. Todd is a monster, and it was well established in the series that Jesse thought he should have died after shooting the kid. So what changed? If Jesse was broken to Theon/Reek levels, I don’t think we saw enough justification for him not shooting the fuck out of Todd.

That aside, I loved it. Skinny Pete, what a guy! :cry:

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:26 pm

Just saw Joker. That was pretty great alright. Nothing much to add that hasn't already been said, fuck me it was an uncomfortable watch in places. Phoenix is painfully convincing.
Spoiler
Thomas Wayne was a total cockhole, a different approach from how he's portrayed usually
Now every dickhead will be dressed as the new Joker for Halloween, completely missing the point.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:02 pm

Terminator: Dark Fate

Not so much bad as bewildering. Better than the last one on the basis that Linda Hamilton does her best with what she’s given, otherwise roughly on a par. The Schwarzenegger stuff... it’s going to cause some strong reactions. :lol: I don’t know whether to laugh or cry on his behalf, because obviously he cannot.

WTF/10

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:48 pm

is it a worthy sequel to T2 ?

Does it make sense following T2 ?

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:00 pm

It’s nowhere near as good as T2 (or T1), but that’s a high bar. I think if you squint and ignore certain things and forgive other things, it’s kind of worthy. Maybe. Probably not, I expect after further reflection. I need to process the more ridiculous parts.

It sets up the context for its existence straight away, no punches pulled. Essentially this is a direct sequel to T2 and everything else since either didn’t happen or was in a different branch of time. It does make sense in fairness - I didn’t spend more than a few moments figuring out how/when/why it takes place. The film just gets on with it after a hand wave, and I was fine with that.

Some more musings - not really spoilers, but just in case anyone wants to go in blind:
Spoiler
What the films since T3 seem to have missed is that nobody honestly watches these for anything other than Arnie, and to that end I was disappointed that he was only really in it for the final third. As I previously said, Linda Hamilton is great, and the other cast do a decent job, but I didn’t really care about them.

The new terminator model is pretty good - easily the most interesting and logical development since the T1000. The guy playing it is no Robert Patrick, though.

There were some one-liner callbacks, and they were painful. There’s a reference to the “No fate but what we make for ourselves” line which has weird implications for the timeline. I doubt it was intended to imply anything, though, so it was more of a careless sound byte for the sake of it.

I really want to talk about Arnie, but I’ll hold off for now except to say if we don’t get a spin-off comedy prequel then James Cameron has a lot to answer for!

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:27 am

isn't the new Ghostbusters film a direct sequel to no. 2, bypassing the female one ?

So now we are getting reboots of reboots that failed to launch or reboots of reboots that missed the mark and did not get the point of why the originals work.

I suspect in a several years time we will get reboots of the reboot of the reboot, ie, XMen movies

Do you think Disney will reboot Star Wars with a new saga ?

At least the producers of Back To The Future category stated this franchise will not get rebooted as long they live....but I would not hold my breath over that

Strudel

Post by Strudel » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:48 am

Star Wars are planning another trilogy; it's been written and directed by the muppets who fucked up the last two seasons of Game of Thrones.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:00 am

Strudel wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:48 am
Star Wars are planning another trilogy; it's been written and directed by the muppets who fucked up the last two seasons of Game of Thrones.
After I'd read the bolded part but before finishing the sentence I thought this sounded like a fun idea :lol:

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:10 am

Between tedium and fright
Such is the song of the nether world
The hissing of rats
And the jarring chants of angels

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:28 am