YouTube channels

Exciting adventures IRL.
Snowy
Local

YouTube channels

Post by Snowy » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:51 pm

Figured this might be interesting - what are your favourite YouTube channels? I have found several recently that fall outside of the usual 'bands I like' subs, and that I have subscribed to.

Here are some of mine, first off Motoring, for any forum petrolheads:
Harry's Garage - Harry Metcalfe, ex-editor and founder of Evo and thoroughly nice fella, keeps a garage of cars and bikes, rather nice ones. He often gets loaned cars too, which he often reviews. He has a passionate eye for detail, and gives you loads of information about the car before taking it out driving it. One for enthusiasts, as his own enthusiasm is infectious.

Smith & Sniff - Richard Porter (Top Gear/Grand tour scriptwriter and mind behind the SniffPetrol motoring satire site) and Johnny Smith (Fifth Gear and other stuff) are a couple of mates who get together in their own and loaned cars and chat, sometimes while driving, often while parked up eating lunch. Their conversations are great, it feels like you are the third silent mate in the car, and they often have me laughing like a drain. You don't need an interest in motoring to enjoy them, but they are total petrolheads so it helps.

See also: EVO, The Drive, Joe Achilles

Avoid: Supercars of London, Shmee, Seen through glass, or any other trust fund 'influencer'

Funnies:
First We Feast runs a YouTube channel where they interview folks while eating increasingly potent hot wings. This I cannot recommend highly enough. The interviewer is superb, really engaging and asks good questions, while the interviewees (a lot of whom I have no clue who they are, big in the US I guess) struggle as the food gets hotter and hotter. This one is a good one to just kick back and enjoy when bored.

Big fan of Russell Kane, who often drops 2-3 minute comedy rants

BBQ/Smoking:
BBQ With Franklin - Aaron Franklin, owner of the best BBQ restaurant I have been to (in Austin TX) covers how to cook amazing BBQ food.

BBQ Pit Boys - another BBQ site that has some great ideas for BBQ/smoked food.

Much of the rest of my list are metal bands, plus BangerTV which reviews lots of metal bands releases. I have no gaming subs at all, never having found anyone I enjoy enough to watch much of.

Over to you, share your interests and any subs that have resulted - maybe we can help boost others enjoyment of the stuff out there :)
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Raid
Local

Re: YouTube channels

Post by Raid » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:20 pm

A few from my subscriptions:

Cinema Wins - Not nearly as well known as the rhyming Cinema Sins, but frankly the relentless positivity makes this one more enjoyable for me. There are more intelligent film critique channels, but this one is regular, consistent and has made me want to watch films I'd have otherwise ignored.

Sean Tucker - A photography channel with lengthy, thoughtful musings on the art.

Nick Carver - Similar to the above, but with an extremely laid back American viewpoint. There's not a lot of content yet, but I could listen to this guy for hours. The guy uses really awkward-looking medium format film cameras, so everything is slow and thoughtful.

Eurogamer, Outside XBox and Outside Xtra - Gaming channels that post lots of lists and trailer runthroughs and Let's Plays, so not exactly groundbreaking stuff, but the presenters have real chemistry with one another.

Binging with Babish - A cookery channel with another very laid back American presenter. Tends to make recipes based on pop culture.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:30 pm

Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 π–‹π–Šπ–†π–— π•Ώπ–π–Š π•½π–Šπ–†π–•π–Šπ–—

elgaucho

Post by elgaucho » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:44 pm

You could do a lot worse than Zefrank1!

https://www.youtube.com/user/zefrank1/videos
Proud PW Member since 15/10/2003
A lurktastic 2678 posts!

Strudel

Post by Strudel » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:38 pm

Film and TV:
Now you see it - A good channel looking at aspects of film making; cinematography, editing, directing, script writing, casting, etc.
The nerdwriter - Mostly film and TV related, but quite broad; covering things such as why certain actors are so great, how music influences the experience, what counts as art... his older stuff is generally better I think but still worth a look.
Sideways - Quite specifically looking at film and TV music.
Lessons from the Screenplay - more "what it says on the tin" than the others; this really looks at how actors and directors interpret and adapt the actual screenplay into the finished product.
Every frame a painting - Hasn't been updated in ages unfortunately, but really fantastic videos analysing the choices behind making great film.

Notable other mentions: A Matter of Film, Fandor

Video games:
Errant Signal - A look at the philosophies, failures, and successes of individual games and series.
Noclip - A company that makes some really fascinating documentaries about computer games. Their series on CD Projekt and Bethesda are really great.

Other:
Today I Found out - A general channel talking about all sorts of interesting things. The guy who does these, Simon Whistler, has a few other channels that are just as good.
History Buffs - A look at what films get right and wrong about the time/story they are set in. Sometimes it's the very obvious historic epic like Braveheart which, it goes without saying, gets torn to pieces. Other times it's things like the mafia portrayal in Goodfellas and the Godfather.
Real Engineering - The description is in the name; a good accessible look at everything from tanks and planes to bridges and dams.
Extra Credit - They do a few different types of video including some on gaming, others on history.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:45 am

How do you do that text thingy that links to a website?

Strudel

Post by Strudel » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:23 am

Quote the post and you'll see ;)

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:47 am

Cheers mate

PBS Eons: stuff about dinosaurs, extinct animals and human evolution. Nicely explained.
Monstrum: the story and origin of mythical creatures and such like. Uses cool animation.
Simple History: a quick overview of a historical event or a military unit, trades person or personality.

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:16 am

Very few. If I'm looking for something specific there are channels I'm more likely to watch videos on, but I only sub to a handful.

Mattias Burling
Random photography reviews of new and classic gear mostly. I just like the laid back, positive nature and I like the guys voice. I love to stick on one of his vids if I cant sleep and it generally helps me drift off.

Micro Four Nerds
Ive not owned an MFT camera in 10 years but I like how enthusiastic and upbeat Emily always is so I even watch her reviews of gear theres zero chance of me wanting.

The Happy Pear
Two very attractive irish brothers run through (mostly) simple vegan recipes. Dont all hit subscribe at once! Had a lot of great meals out of this channel!

MechaGamezilla
I just really like Owen. Hes at his best guesting on Gamewank but he's still pretty good on his own thing.

I could take or leave this whole youtube thing most of the time.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:19 pm

Strudel wrote: ↑
Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:38 pm
Extra Credit - They do a few different types of video including some on gaming, others on history.
I really like their history section.

Also, in a similar vein, I'm also fond of Crash Course
Between tedium and fright
Such is the song of the nether world
The hissing of rats
And the jarring chants of angels

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:46 pm

elgaucho wrote: ↑
Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:44 pm
You could do a lot worse than Zefrank1!

https://www.youtube.com/user/zefrank1/videos
I like this - subbed :)

The thread works, woohoo!
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:40 pm

oh em gee. I was chortling out loud at that zefrank. Not sure if all the videos follow a similar thread. proper documentary stuff with added silly humour?
Also subbed
-- To be completed at some point --

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:53 pm

Looking for a decent gaming channel, mainly reviews but also playthroughs, op-ed stuff etc. Hoping for someone without an annoying gimmick or personality.

Any suggestions?

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:28 pm

I am sure you have heard of these - some of my favourites

Red Letter Media
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrTNhL ... dQ5XgmmWjA

Critical Drinker
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSJPFQ ... nmSFYtbstA

Chris Stuckmann
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCqEeD ... GgEN658tkA

Haphazardstuff (superb film documentaries)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo7muF ... FWsLjta51w

Posh Prick Reviews
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dmf6 ... TSskMCgwkw

Finally this man keeps me sane - first thing I watch every weekday morning
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMtFAi ... fig/videos
Last edited by Achtung Englander on Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:29 pm

Sly Boots wrote: ↑
Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:53 pm
Looking for a decent gaming channel, mainly reviews but also playthroughs, op-ed stuff etc. Hoping for someone without an annoying gimmick or personality.

Any suggestions?
Giant Bomb is the only one I can stick. Not so much reviews but I think I prefer the quick look format.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.