Star Wars The Rise Of Skywalker - the last film in the saga

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Drarok

Re: Star Wars The Rise Of Skywalker - the last film in the saga

Post by Drarok » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:26 pm

Raid wrote: ↑
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:39 pm

Yeah, I'm expecting evil Rey to be a vision, similar to what Luke had on Dagobah.

The Imperial Star Destroyers follow a clip of presumably Resistance ships exiting hyperspace, but the Resistance-era T-70 X-Wings seem to be accompanied by Rebellion-era B-Wings and Y-Wings (though it's entirely possible they're minimally redesigned "new" versions), as well as a CR90 Corvette. I have a horrible feeling that the big battle is going to be happening in a dream sequence; it's a pretty strange looking Imperial fleet too.

The Jackal

Post by The Jackal » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:28 pm

Someone on my ex's FB page just said that "[The Last Jedi] was the greatest Star Wars movie ever but the fanboys hated it anyway, so the next one will just be dross to appease them."

Mighty Horse Rocks The Fat Ass.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:52 am

Is it possible there will be a huge 3 way battle at the end?

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:51 am

That's where I think it's going. The Resistance are about to be defeated again when the Empire turns up, and the Empire and the First Order end up destroying each other as evil is wont to do.

Palpatine is rumoured to have a substantial role in things, so my guess that while the armies have a big ruckus we'll have Rey and Kylo battling out for the living side of the Force, while ghost Luke and (maybe?) ghost Palpatine fight things out at their end. Maybe Luke will end up becoming the overall personification of the Force, hence the Rise of Skywalker.

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:28 am

On that last bit Wrathy, my personal feeling is Rey will be the first to balance both Jedi and Sith into a neutral zone, hence 'Rise of Skywalker' - Skywalker being the title of Force Neutrals as it were.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:04 am

I like that - there was a sense in episode 8 of Luke trying to converge the force into neutral territory.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:15 pm

Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 π–‹π–Šπ–†π–— π•Ώπ–π–Š π•½π–Šπ–†π–•π–Šπ–—

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:31 pm

Gave me chills, that did. In a good way.
Between tedium and fright
Such is the song of the nether world
The hissing of rats
And the jarring chants of angels

Strudel

Post by Strudel » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:52 pm

Killed any interest I had remaining for the last film.

Cowboys riding across a Star Destroyer for whatever reason is just peak ridiculous. It just seems to be lots of setup pretty visuals without anything else to go with it.

I'll download a copy when the screeners go out for award season next year and see if it's any good then. Which is a shame, because I do like JJ's films usually and I wish they would make a decent Star Wars film because they have such potential that is incessantly wasted.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:47 pm

Hard to really glean much from the trailer apart from all the big set pieces. Clearly Abrams is keen to reel in the Game of Thrones fans, can't really think of why else he'd write something as stupid as a Dothraki cavalry charge on top of a star ship in space.

I noticed that Kylo has his mask back on in one of the clips. I hope that happens early into the movie, he was a far more convincing baddie before he took the helmet off and started acting like a man child in all his scenes.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:53 pm

Mantis wrote: ↑
Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:47 pm
I noticed that Kylo has his mask back on in one of the clips. I hope that happens early into the movie, he was a far more convincing baddie before he took the helmet off and started acting like a man child in all his scenes.
I thought exactly the same, Darth Horse is not in the slightest bit menacing without his hat on.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:12 am

Strudel wrote: ↑
Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:52 pm
It just seems to be lots of setup pretty visuals without anything else to go with it.
It's a 2 minute trailer... what exactly were you expecting?

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:53 pm

There's nothing in that trailer that puts me off, but I find it more confusing than enticing. It feels like the whole film is going to be happening inside some sort of dream world, and while Star Wars has always been a fantasy series, taking it further from reality could be a mistake. I also hope they're not going to be banking too heavily on fan service and give us a satisfying story; there are so many references to other parts of the franchise in those brief fleet scenes (Rebels is well represented, as is Rogue One), and we know that Wedge Antilles is going to be making an appearance (and I hope he's given better treatment than poor Akbar).

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:23 pm

Raid wrote: ↑
Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:53 pm
It feels like the whole film is going to be happening inside some sort of dream world, and while Star Wars has always been a fantasy series, taking it further from reality could be a mistake.
I don't know... It's the end of a nine-film saga, so if there was ever a time to get metaphysical and explore the nature of the Force and the nature of the reality in which Star Wars takes place, and re-contextualise the overall story as a result of that, it's now. I can't imagine it's going to be as profound as all that, though.

What I'd really like to see is something along the lines that starwarsringtheory.com suggests was Lucas' overall vision for the saga. I've mentioned before how it seems like Luke was pushing for a convergence of the Light and Dark sides into a Neutral Force, which is where Rey and Kylo Ren both head towards but ultimately diverge again (with Rey going good and Ren going evil). But the Ring Theory suggests that's not how Vader brought balance to the Force. He did it not by becoming neutral, or by one side defeating the other, but by rising above the eternal battle of the Force. That's what I see happening here - the Rise of Skywalker may be referring to Luke symbolically rising above the petty feuds that the living commit in the name of the Force, and thereby demonstrating to his embattled students - Rey and Ren - that there is another way. That, to me, would be a fitting and satisfying end.