The return of the D&D campaign: This time it's potatoes

Exciting adventures IRL.
Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: The return of the D&D campaign: This time it's potatoes

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:57 pm

That's a shame. I'll hang around on the forum this evening anyway, in case Mantis gets home at a decent hour and feels up for some D&D :)

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:06 pm

Aye, I'll hang around on Discord too; I'll be at my desk this evening regardless.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:27 pm

Should be good for it. I'm just rustling a quick meal up.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:28 pm

Ah, ok, should be fine for it too!

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:48 pm

Cool, will be there and ready to go. :)

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:08 pm

Kind of wish I'd specced as a hexblade warlock now that Sage's strength modifier is going to be +9 when that belt is attuned. He can reliably one punch most common folk and basic enemies to death with a single blow of his fist. :lol:

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:18 pm

After last night's shenanigans I'm not certain whether this is more or less responsible than weaponising an alcohlic half-mad halfling barbarian... :-k

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:39 pm

Back in Neverwinter in the dead of night, the Unmentionables found the city under martial law and bolstered by the forces from Waterdeep who had been arriving over the past few days. With the city largely evacuated in preparation for the battle ahead, the party decided to do what any heroic, noble defenders would not: some good old fashioned looting. Their target was Cases and Curiosities, the shop of invaluable magic relics belonging to Tombstone, the private detective who had entrusted to them the calamitous runestone responsible for these troubled times. What better way to repay his misplaced faith in the Unmentionables than to ransack his livelihood while he was out of town attempting to shed light on the conspirators threatening the land?

After checking that no innocent bystanders could inconvenience their pilfering, the party positioned themselves outside the shop. Slythe deftly bypassed the door alarm and unlocked it without alerting anyone. Peering inside, he spied what appeared to be a secondary trap or alarm on the ceiling of the entrance, which he cunningly circumvented by misty stepping directly to the shop's shelves. He then began swiping everything of value into the bag of holding, while ducking and diving the swarm of poison darts triggered by his light-fingered thievery. As he attempted to misty step back outside, though, he discovered he could not do so - foiled perhaps by an anti-spellcasting security field or similar. Out of good options, Slythe resorted to bad ones. He hurried upstairs and attempted to charge through the windows at the front of the building, only to cause a racket and hurt his elbow. Sage, seeing the commotion from the street, took it upon himself to abandon subtlety and obliterate the windows with blasts of eldritch power, shattering them with a deafening uproar which alerted some troops at the end of the street. As Slythe dived out of the gaping hole in the building, Charr ensured that no trace of their illicit escapade would lead back to them by torching the building in a fan of flames. As the fire spread through the terraces, rendering many evacuees homeless upon their return, the Unmentionables fled into the night with a sense of self-congratulatory satisfaction at their profitable haul.

The following morning, the party awoke from sound sleep in the Hall of Justice to find Hamfist had gone, along with the belt of storm giant strength. Even worse, he had apparently stolen 200 gold pieces from Slythe. Keen to lecture the tiny alcoholic sociopath on the evils of theft, the party gathered their stolen goods and set about hunting him down. They tracked him to the Dolphin, where they found him drunker than ever, slumped against the trashed ruins of the bar with an empty keg at his side. After some admonishment, Hamfist explained that he had gone to his wife and daughter to give them gold to buy passage out of the city to safety, but after taking the gold they declared that they hated him and never wanted to see him again. Thus Hamfist embarked upon the bender to end all benders. Sage made the executive decision to strip Hamfist of the belt in exchange for Gloves of Zero Hangover, which were less effective at sobering the wretched barbarian than the eight gallons of water which Sage then emptied over his face from the alchemy jug. With their employee retrieved and duly waterboarded, the Unmentionables returned to the Hall of Justice to convene with the Council.

Lord Neverember greeted the party as they entered the Council chamber and updated everyone on the situation. As well as the 10,000 dwarves secured from Gauntlgrym and 6000 troops from Waterdeep, General Sabine had 4000 of her Mintarn Mercenaries at her disposal along with 500 paladins and clerics from the Order of Tyr. Neverember had also drafted peasant army 10,000 strong, though various Council members protested their use in battle. The alternative was to hide in the relative safety of the catacombs under the city, though the spymaster Xalvador Montagu expressed concern that the catacombs were ancient, vast and barely explored, and he could not guarantee they were safe. After some debate, it was decided that the peasant army would be of best use supporting troops in the city, rather than on the front lines. As there was at least a day before the attack on Helm's Hold was expected, the Unmentionables agreed to scout out the catacombs to ensure they were safe in the event that the peasants needed to retreat there.

Xalvador led the party to a large mausoleum in the city's graveyard, where they descended into the cold darkness of endless winding tunnels, an unsettling home to spiders, bones and secrets meant never to be found...

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:50 pm

:lol:

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:57 pm

Excellent. :lol:

I should probably point out that the gloves I gave Hamfist weren't entirely useless. They were my gloves of swimming and climbing which we looted a while back and which I have made use of precisely once since attuning to them.

Whilst I think it may have been in character for Sage to exchange the super magical belt for a literally useless pair of gloves, I think it's also fair to say that he wouldn't be a complete swindler, even if the exchange was vastly in his favour.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:47 am

Quick question. If I were to take the spell Dream next time we level up and I get access to a new level of spells, would I be able to use it to completely shape the targets dream and have them converse with people and images that I dictate?

The description says
"If the target is asleep, the messenger appears in the target's dreams and can converse with the target as long as it remains asleep, through the duration of the spell. The messenger can also shape the environment of the dream, creating landscapes, objects, and other images."

So it's clear that I could talk to the target whilst appearing as myself but not as clear whether I could essentially recreate an entire scenario where the target talks to other people that I am controlling.

I'm definitely not planning anything nefarious.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:17 am

It says you can make yourself appear monstrous and terrifying in the dream, which suggests you can change your appearance and voice. I’d say that you can shape the content of the dream however you want, but the target would still be subject to the same persuasion, intimidation, etc, checks that they would be in the real world. If for instance you appeared in Lord Neverember’s dreams as his mother and told him to give command of Neverwinter over to the Unmentionables, that would at the very least require a deception check (and probably wouldn’t be easy unless you know what his mother looks and sounds like).

Everyone still provisionally okay for tonight?

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:01 am

Yes, should be.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:49 am

Yes.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:45 pm

I think I'm going to have to postpone us until next week unfortunately guys. Sorry!