The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Exciting adventures IRL.
Hatredsheart

Re: The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Post by Hatredsheart » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:41 pm

Stormbringer wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:34 am
The Victoria Derbyshire show. Everything about it.

The only reason I even know about its existence is because it plays in the background all morning in the office.
It can't be as horrific as Kay Burley. I'm sure there's a punishment in Hell where you have to watch her show endlessly on a loop. :twisted:
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:54 am

Never seen her, to be honest. I don't watch any live TV except what plays in the office.

What annoys me the most about VD is that it's on the supposed BBC 24 hour news channel. It's really only 20 hours of news with 4 hours of smug, patronising Victoria Derbyshire talking to minorities about their struggles. The whole idea of a single person getting an entire morning of news branded with their name, which is not really news but identity politics issues, is repulsive to me.

Yesterday she was talking to common people about Brexit. Opinions on both sides were eye-rollingly naïve.
Between tedium and fright
Such is the song of the nether world
The hissing of rats
And the jarring chants of angels

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:22 am

Stormbringer wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:54 am
What annoys me the most about VD
Doug in Room 101 shocker! :o

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:42 am

I think 24 hour news channels are fundamentally crap anyway. It makes me sad when I see people slumped in armchairs just watching the news anchor repeat the exact same script every 20 minutes. There's absolutely no need for them.

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:00 pm

How often do you see people slumped in armchairs? :-k
The hissing of rats

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:27 pm

My office window is opposite a care home, so I see that every day. No idea if they’re watching Victoria Derbyshire, though.

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:07 pm

That reminds me.

Care homes. I suppose they offer a worthwhile service, but cannot imagine how unbearably awful it must be to be actually trapped in one. Every time I walk past one and look through the window, I shudder with horror that it might be me some day.

Also, while we're talking about looking through windows and seeing people slumped in arm chairs, one thing that baffles me more than anything else (though I still think it's something I "hate") is how so many people leave their curtains wide open, with the lights on in their living rooms, well after dark. Do people not have a sense of privacy?

I myself shut my curtains tight as soon as the sun disappears behind the trees, as I don't ever want anyone to be able to peer into my home from outside, but apparently most people just don't care -- they'll quite happily allow the entire world to see the inside of their living room and even share their TV show of choice with whoever might be walking past. Why?! :x
The hissing of rats

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:05 pm

I think a lot of the care home experience depends on why you're there. My grandma was in a care home for about 5 years with Alzheimers because she'd become incapable of looking after herself safely, and for the first few months she was heavily resistant to it (she valued her independence) and it was genuinely upsetting. But then the Alzheimers meant she forgot why exactly she was there, and she became content with it, and eventually it got to the point where she'd be annoyed when my parents tried to take her away from the care home for a day out. I think many residents end up content in a care home simply because they're not alone, others, like my grandma was, because they don't really know what's going on. It's never easy and it's obviously not a situation I'd wish to end up in, but I don't fear that fate in the same way I used to.

As for curtains, I'm terrible. Often I forget to open them, other times I just can't be bothered. There's nothing outside my house I particularly want to look at. The police probably think I'm a drug den. :lol:

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:18 pm

It's going to be interesting when our generation gets to care home age, because we're so used to technology that perhaps the experience won't be so awful.

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:25 pm

By then we may all have our brains neurally hooked up into a vast computer network, communicating with each other in binary code while robot slaves take care of our frail biological shells.
The hissing of rats

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:32 pm

I work in a care home. They are, despite the best efforts of a few, even more depressing and soul crushing on the inside I can assure you.

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:56 pm

I thought so!

On an even more sombre tone, something that fills me with rage is people causing other people deliberate harm -- especially torture. It's probably one of the most depressing and horrible realities of the world, if not the most. I don't want anyone to suffer in any way for any reason, but deliberately hurting somebody is the worst.
The hissing of rats

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:50 am

Stormbringer wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:07 pm
…but apparently most people just don't care -- they'll quite happily allow the entire world to see the inside of their living room and even share their TV show of choice with whoever might be walking past. Why?! :x
Like you said – we don't care! Mainly I'm just lazy though. If I'm sat in the living room and the sun sets, I'm not getting off my arse just to close the curtains.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:22 am

I do love walking the dogs down a particular street as the houses are slightly down hill and most of the road do not shut their curtains. It's nice to see what people are up to :)

They all seem to hate me taking photos though. Weirdos :)
-- To be completed at some point --

Lee

Post by Lee » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:45 am

:lol:
Mr Annoyed and Proud of it.