DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Re: Xbox & Microsoft News/Discussion

Post by DjchunKfunK » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:20 am

Alan wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:54 pm
DjchunKfunK wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:23 pm
None of the interfaces have been good, you stick that PS3 interface in a modern console and it wouldn't cope with all the extra stuff we have now.
Like what? What else do we have other than video capture which would be siloed in an app. The XMB is at its heart a cleaner non ADHD version of the PS4 one which is a cluttered mess of a UI.
Digital content has increased, the number of apps people use on consoles, PSN has more to it.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:15 am

The PS3 interface would have worked fine with an increased amount of apps. You could have custom subfolders for all your games and all the apps on the main bar or within additional folders.

It's not really a great deal different from the PS4 interface to be honest.

Alan

Post by Alan » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:10 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:20 am
Alan wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:54 pm
DjchunKfunK wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:23 pm
None of the interfaces have been good, you stick that PS3 interface in a modern console and it wouldn't cope with all the extra stuff we have now.
Like what? What else do we have other than video capture which would be siloed in an app. The XMB is at its heart a cleaner non ADHD version of the PS4 one which is a cluttered mess of a UI.
Digital content has increased, the number of apps people use on consoles, PSN has more to it.
You mean the “friends activity” page? As for digital content 90% of my purchases were digital on PS3, I don’t see how it’s any different now. If you mean netflix etc. they actually put your media apps in a separate bar instead of tossing everything in with the games like PS4 does.

I don’t see one think XMB couldn’t do equally or better than PS4. Damn pretty too. For an interface.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:30 am

Just discovered that there’s an Alexa skill for controlling your Xbox in all the ways you could with Kinect. Pretty neat. I was just about to buy a media remote but this negates the need for that :)

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:06 pm

My Friend Pedro added to GamePass :P
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Alan

Post by Alan » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:43 am

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:32 am

Whoa! Is that real?! What the... :?

It looks like a dehumidifier.

Abs_McBain

Post by Abs_McBain » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:58 pm

I saw the image where it's just the front face and for a good few moments I was trying to make out the front and bottom side of the console, wondering where the heck was the change in the shade of colour.
But no, it's just a mini air purifier.

Anyway, it has a stupid name.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:46 pm

I actually don't hate the design of the console (although I hope the green light underneath the top grill in the render isn't actually there), although the name is terrible. Remember when the Wii U didn't seem to catch on and people thought it might be confusion over it being a Wii accessory? What's the betting this receives similar criticism?

I like that they're sticking with a slot loading disc drive, though I'd have preferred that they put the slot on the upper surface (though I suspect their arrangement is better for cooling).

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:36 pm

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:17 pm

I think it looks fine and when put up against stuff like the PS4 Por and Xbox One X I don't think it even looks oversized.

I don't think the Wii U comparison is that accurate because the major issue with that reveal was that they showed the tablet so it confused people into thinking it was an add-on. Here Microsoft are saying this is our next console and people know what that means.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:47 pm

Are people making fun of it because they think it's big? Assuming that render with a controller in front is accurate (and the controller is a minor change over the XBox One's with roughly the same dimensions), I'd say it's actually quite compact for a first system in a new generation. I think people are more mocking the shape and layout, which resembles less a high-tech games console and more a general electrical appliance.

If I go by the XBox One's controller, I'd estimate it's maybe 35cm tall, and 16x16 for the width and depth. It's going to take up a little more volume than the XBox One X, but that's not a particularly big console (30x24x6cm).

Given that we seem to be moving away from set top box style appliances (which the XBox and Playstation consoles have always resembled) around the TV towards more streaming platforms and small dongle-type plugins, I like that they're trying something a little different.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:54 pm

its the internet Raid

If you give people a £1m each, some people will complain "why isn't £2m" - just ignore them, its quicker
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:55 pm

Most the talk Ive seen is about the size. Design wise I think they are going for something that looks a bit like the smart speakers people have. The idea being it sits on the side not tucked away in an entertainment centre so you always see it and are reminded to use it.

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:12 pm

On the carpet?

If you have to be reminded to use a console it’s a pretty shit console.