Currently Playing

Steam, Deals & More.
Rusty

Re: Currently Playing

Post by Rusty » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:52 pm

Finally picked up Red Dead Redemption 2. I'm not at home yet so will start the download remotely and get started on it Monday probably. Any tips for a newbie?
-- To be completed at some point --

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:56 pm

Rusty wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:52 pm
Finally picked up Red Dead Redemption 2. I'm not at home yet so will start the download remotely and get started on it Monday probably. Any tips for a newbie?
Yes, once you have finished Chapter 1, head back into the mountains. Along the Western shore of Lake Isabella you can find the white Arabian horse, one of the best in the game. Save just before you get there (if you lose the horse it will not reappear for a couple of days) and then tame it. It is tricky but well worth the effort.

Then find and kill the legendary buck. Once you open up the fence which happens fairly early on (look for Hosea mission markers) you can craft the trinket with it which improves the quality of pelts you can harvest.

Also, this page needs bookmarking.

The other recommendation is this - do what the hell you feel like. The joy of RDR2 is getting lost in it's wonderful world and just having adventures, whether it be hunting, random world events, exploring, treasure hunting etc.

Oh, and with the PC, I use an Xbox controller for general wanderings and KB&M for gunfights. Reason being the snap-to-aim the controller gives you allows much easier target acquisition and kills/lasso on moving animals. If you stick to the KB&M controls you will need to use a lot of deadeye to slow things down enough to cap them. KB&M for fishing is sooooo much better than controller too btw.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:41 am

Noice.
Perfect advice. I shall be a cowboy shortly.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:50 am

I am jealous, it is such a great game I would like to wipe it from my mind and do it all again.

Well, I am doing it all again, just on PC rather than PS4 this time :)

Oh, another thing to avoid is story spoilers. It is one of very few games that has actually made me think and changed the way I have played due to the story, don't spoil that - be very careful as it has been out ages and the internet is full of them.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:22 am

Forza Horizon 4.

Now that I've got Windows10, I decided to get this on the cheap. Although I've never really been into driving games in a big way, I fancied giving this one a go.

Bit overwhelming to start with, lots to do. Getting the hang of the controller - the steering is pretty sensitive but I'll get used to it. Must remember not to brake while turning!

Very pretty too.

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:03 pm

Currently addicted to a little game on my phone called HOPLITE -- which is a brilliant top-down, turn-based tactical combat game where you have to guide a Greek hoplite armed with spear, shield and sword through a series of hexagonal caverns in lava-soaked Tartarus, battling demons of various kinds (bombers, archers, soldiers and wizards) in order to seize the mythical Golden Fleece and return to the surface world.

Between tedium and fright
Such is the song of the nether world
The hissing of rats
And the jarring chants of angels

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:33 pm

Woo Hoplite. What a great little game. :)

I played it when it first came out a few years ago. Forgot all about it until your post.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:57 am

Maturin wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:22 am
Forza Horizon 4.

Now that I've got Windows10, I decided to get this on the cheap. Although I've never really been into driving games in a big way, I fancied giving this one a go.

Bit overwhelming to start with, lots to do. Getting the hang of the controller - the steering is pretty sensitive but I'll get used to it. Must remember not to brake while turning!

Very pretty too.
I also bought this when I upgraded - it is a brilliant little game, almost recapturing the heady days of Test Drive Unlimited 1 & 2. What is your username, will add you to friends and maybe hook up for a cruise.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:03 am

My username's LangersUK, same as my old Steam name.

At the moment I'm just getting to grips with how to use the damn Xbox controller for handling the cars, plus I'm still in the initial 4-season prologue. I seem to instinctively be very heavy handed using my thumb with the steering stick and I'm turning too hard in corners a lot of the time. I might have a look at the sensitivity settings.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:29 pm

I loved playing it with my wheel and gears. But don't tend to race much, more just potter about enjoying the views. Love Edinburgh :)

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:49 pm

I never really got my wheel and pedals working acceptably on it and stuck with the controller - you soon develop a deft touch, don't worry :)
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:12 pm

Is that the open world one? Played it for a little while but it quickly felt empty and a bit aimless. I seem to prefer driving games that limit where you can go other than forward. It was very pretty though.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:37 am

There are a number of Forza games - this one is open world set in a scaled down version of the lakes and Edinburgh.

I have never run out of things to do though, the seasons change once every few days, and each season has it's own challenges that it gives you to complete, plus you can create your own races, so if you want some driving fun you can always find something to enjoy.

I also liked that bits are optional too. I love the road and off-road racing, the monster jumps, speed-trap trials etc but am (and have always been) left cold by drifting, I just never saw the appeal and that translates into games. Forza 4 just lets me ignore them completely and doesn't penalise my progress in any way.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:38 am

And Rusty, how you getting along with RDR2? Stories sir, stories!
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:56 pm

Ah, I played the one set in South of France with the geezer twat constantly talking to you.

Replaying Titanfall 2 single player. This is a great game, the chunky weapon sounds and gouts of viscera flying out of enemies make gunplay wonderful. Mech combat is also great with the ability to jump in and out. Love it.