The Room 102 thread - for things you love or just having a bloody good praise!

Exciting adventures IRL.
Wrathbone
Local

Re: The Room 102 thread - for things you love or just having a bloody good praise!

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:52 am

arqueturus wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:00 am
Wrathbone wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:59 pm
arqueturus wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:08 am
I vote with Stormbringer on this one - I prefer warm to cold. Letting your house get down to 4.5c is bonkers.
Leaving the heating on for three days with nobody there would be bonkers.
Last time I left the heating off for a week the house got down to 18 degrees - that was in the the tail end of September.
September tends to be a tad warmer than December. I was away then for a few days too and the house temperature didn’t drop much below 18. It was really cold here this weekend though!

Also maybe your house has better insulation than mine?

arqueturus

Re: The Room 102 thread - for things you love or just having a bloody good praise!

Post by arqueturus » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:37 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:52 am
arqueturus wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:00 am
Wrathbone wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:59 pm

Leaving the heating on for three days with nobody there would be bonkers.
Last time I left the heating off for a week the house got down to 18 degrees - that was in the the tail end of September.
September tends to be a tad warmer than December. I was away then for a few days too and the house temperature didn’t drop much below 18. It was really cold here this weekend though!

Also maybe your house has better insulation than mine?
I reckon so.

My heating is never technically 'off' it just cascades through different temperatures based on time. It's set to come on if it goes below 14 degrees overnight but that's as low as it gets.

The Jackal

Post by The Jackal » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:16 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:38 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:08 am
Got storage heaters in my flat. Initially I didn't know how to work them, but then it turned out all the controls are meaningless and mine only work as a kind of very-long-run-up radiator that makes my rooms smell of burnt hair. I'd rather sack them off and stick a jumper on, although then it turned out my windows had zero insulating ability and, with one letting cold air roll right over my bed in the night during the last cold spell, I'd wake up in the night either with crippling stomach cramps from the cold or from overheating due to coccooning myself too much in my duvet. Currently I have my bed dragged as far away from the wall/window as I can have it without having to climb over it to traverse the room.

I really miss a closed window meaning a secure inner room temp.
Back in that Bath flat, which similarly had single-glazed, draughty old window panes, we bought a plastic sheeting that you warm the edges of with a hairdryer to the frame, helped a bit in keeping the draughts out.
The windowframe, forming a kind of seal? Sounds safe...

...but seriously, the window is set into a sloping ceiling/wall segment - I'd need this sheet to be about 5ftx6ft and stuck to the ceiling :(
Mighty Horse Rocks The Fat Ass.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:38 pm

The Jackal wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:16 pm
Sly Boots wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:38 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:08 am
Got storage heaters in my flat. Initially I didn't know how to work them, but then it turned out all the controls are meaningless and mine only work as a kind of very-long-run-up radiator that makes my rooms smell of burnt hair. I'd rather sack them off and stick a jumper on, although then it turned out my windows had zero insulating ability and, with one letting cold air roll right over my bed in the night during the last cold spell, I'd wake up in the night either with crippling stomach cramps from the cold or from overheating due to coccooning myself too much in my duvet. Currently I have my bed dragged as far away from the wall/window as I can have it without having to climb over it to traverse the room.

I really miss a closed window meaning a secure inner room temp.
Back in that Bath flat, which similarly had single-glazed, draughty old window panes, we bought a plastic sheeting that you warm the edges of with a hairdryer to the frame, helped a bit in keeping the draughts out.
The windowframe, forming a kind of seal? Sounds safe...

...but seriously, the window is set into a sloping ceiling/wall segment - I'd need this sheet to be about 5ftx6ft and stuck to the ceiling :(
Neither of those should be a problem, it's designed to be a kind of do-it-yourself double-glazing, and it worked for the big bay windows in the place we were renting. It's not particularly attractive and would mean not being able to open the window, but might make a bit of difference for the winter.

The Jackal

Post by The Jackal » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:51 pm

I'll consider it, thanks.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:29 pm

Gas is back on!

The paint will be running off the walls in 10 minutes time. Happy days!

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:50 pm

\:D/
Between tedium and fright
Such is the song of the nether world
The hissing of rats
And the jarring chants of angels

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:52 pm

Medicine Man wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:29 pm
Gas is back on!

The paint will be running off the walls in 10 minutes time. Happy days!
Nice! :)

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:01 pm

Riffing on Doug's comments in the 101 thread...

A good shit. Or an overdue piss, but a good shit wins easily.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:06 pm

I never have one of those. Needing the toilet is always a shameful reminder of the inherent unpleasantness of the biological world!
The hissing of rats

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:16 pm

When everyone in the office goes away and I'm left on my own. I can finally talk to myself out loud without drawing unwanted attention. ¬_¬
The hissing of rats

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:56 pm

And have a shit in peace. ;)

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:59 pm

That too!
The hissing of rats

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:50 am

Cherry Brandy!
The hissing of rats

The Jackal

Post by The Jackal » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:36 am

Stormbringer wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:50 am
Cherry Brandy!
Best ice lolly evar.