The return of the D&D campaign: This time it's potatoes

Exciting adventures IRL.
Wrathbone
Local

Re: The return of the D&D campaign: This time it's potatoes

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:53 am

I’m not going to be able to do tonight unfortunately, so we’ll have to postpone till next week.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:16 am

That's a shame, but no problem :)

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:22 pm

Provisionally should be free any day this week except tonight. I think this will need to be the last week before we have a break for Christmas because I've got all sorts of stuff going on from next week!

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:23 pm

I'd prefer wednesday or thursday this week, but can do tomorrow at a push.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:26 pm

If we can avoid Apprentice night that would be cool, so Thursday?

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:44 pm

I've got something on with work this week which I don't currently have a time for, though it is likely to eat up two evenings. I think Thursday will likely be my only chance to get a session in.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:00 pm

Let’s aim for Thursday then.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:02 pm

Really sorry guys, I’m still working, probably not going to be ready at any reasonable time. :(

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:11 pm

I'd forgotten to be honest. Shattered today for some reason so wouldn't be too unhappy postponing, but will that mean the next one will be in the New Year (think you said you had a lot of stuff on over the festive period, WB?)

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:26 pm

Yeah, the next few weeks will be tricky with Christmas plans and I’ll be away for a couple of weeks, so normal service will be resumed the first week of January.

What happened to things winding down for Christmas?! :lol:

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:34 pm

I wouldn't have made tonight anyway as I've had to stop away for work. Next two Thursdays we have Christmas parties too so that fills my schedule until new year!

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:22 pm

I'm running my Christmas one shot next weekend and the amount of planning I've had to put in just for a single session has been pretty crazy (though it will likely be a 12 hour game). Gives me an extra level of appreciation for those who DM a full campaign, particularly when you have players who don't take your hints on where they should go so you have to ad-lib everything as they go and burn down the local private eye's store. :lol:

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:59 pm

Good luck! :)

The more you DM, the less time you need to plan stuff, partly because you gain confidence with improvising stuff and so you become comfortable with allowing everything to go off-piste, and also because you learn more effective preparation. I've got reams of prep notes that I never referred to, but it doesn't matter because the act of writing things down is often enough to get in the right state of mind. Prep is all about getting to the point where you're comfortable you can run a decent session.

On the other hand, a lot of the time I spend hours designing maps or fleshing out NPCs just because I enjoy it.

If you end up DMing more often, I thoroughly recommend Sly Flourish's Return of the Lazy DM:

https://slyflourish.com/returnofthelazydm/

His method aims to get prep down to 15 mins for a session (with some caveats). I'm not quite there, but I find a lot of his ideas useful. I've also read his first book, which is good but not a patch on this one.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:18 pm

I'm quite enjoying just doing all the groundwork for areas that in all likelihood won't ever be seen unless the group really takes a tangent from the actual objectives. The worldbuilding is proving handy anyway as it's part of a wider reimagined DnD setting with it's own history that I'm going to use as a basis for any campaigns I may decide to run in the future.

I've bitten off more than I can chew and started composing music for it too but haven't given myself anywhere near enough time so may have to scrap that idea.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:43 pm

Well I ran my one shot last night and it went down very well. Took about 7 hours and we finished at 02:30 in the morning but I'd already cut a fair few encounters out because the party spent a long time doing totally off the cuff things.

Two things I've taken from it. Ad libbing responses for NPCs you barely had given a second thought to is tough, particularly when some in the party are deliberately pushing you down unknown question paths. And second, micromanaging combat for the enemies isn't as fun as I expected it to be because I was conscious of party wiping the players with some of the more stacked enemies I'd home-brewed. The players weren't being particularly tactical either so if I'd gone all in on them with planned strategies they'd have been minced very quickly.

Good fun overall though. I'd like to run a full campaign at some point where trying to build everything into a single session isn't an added pressure, but we just don't have the time as a group to get together routinely enough.