Achtung Englander

GTA VI

Post by Achtung Englander » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:16 pm

Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Re: GTA VI

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:41 pm

Hard pass from me. Until Rockstar modernise their game design and do something about the terrible humour I'm not going to bother with any of their GTA games.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:44 pm

I don't think I have much issue with the gameplay of GTA V (although the abundance of tutorials that scream "look at all this extra stuff we shoehorned in that you don't want but we'll teach you to do before you can progress anyway" can get in the bin), but I absolutely agree with Dj on the humour. It thinks itself a scathing satire of the modern world, but it's so ridiculously heavy handed that it feels as though it was written by a world-weary five year old. The Facebook proxy is named Life Invader for goodness sakes, there's no subtlety at all.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:47 pm

The gameplay is fine at best and coming from such an acclaimed developer that doesn't really cut it in my eyes.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:04 pm

It's extremely juvenile, but honestly I don't mind a bit of that sometimes. I really enjoyed GTAV and would buy another one I'm sure.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:16 pm

I am playing Just Cause 3 and found that to be more fun !
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:34 pm

It's a difficult line to balance between being accessible and appearing zany alongside brutal satire. For the most part I don't think it's too bad.

The gameplay is my biggest issue with pretty much all Rockstar games. They've gotten better in recent years but their dull mission design is still a factor even now. It certainly didn't help GTA V that they didn't support the single player at all once GTA Online launched.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:21 pm

I actually picked up GTAV on the cheap early last year and played through a chunk of it.

Have no problem whatsoever with the content/humour, but I just couldn't gel completely with the gameplay. There's something very stop/start, fragmented with the mission structure. I couldn't help but feel there should potentially be an incredible open-world game in there but I struggled to find it.

Amazingly detailed game world they created though.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:01 pm

I think that they maybe try to cram too much content into the games. I really enjoyed GTAV but I'm sure I barely scratched the surface on all the possible activities. Do feel like I get value for money with GTA anyway.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:21 pm

I've played an absolutely shameful amount of GTAV golf :oops:

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:23 pm

I absolutely love the GTA series, have played through GTAV about four times, and did likewise with 4.

Rockstar make the best open worlds for just having fun in, as my loss of my life to RDR2 Online testifies...
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

The Jackal

Post by The Jackal » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:24 am

Snowy wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:23 pm
I absolutely love the GTA series, have played through GTAV about four times, and did likewise with 4.

Rockstar make the best open worlds for just having fun in, as my loss of my life to RDR2 Online testifies...
Nothing to add to your post. I just worry that no one else will agree with you. Has the Jack Thompson Re-enactment Group rolled into this thread? Jesus.
Mighty Horse Rocks The Fat Ass.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:49 am

The Jackal wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:24 am
Snowy wrote:

Nothing to add to your post. I just worry that no one else will agree with you. Has the Jack Thompson Re-enactment Group rolled into this thread? Jesus.
I'm not really sure what you mean. Aside from the others who have already said they like GTA, all but one of those who have said they aren't that fussed have said it's the gameplay and/or mission structure that's the issue and not the tone or humour.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:57 am

If/when I do get another GPU that can handle it, I'll probably have another crack at it in the future. Might click with me more the second time round.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:27 am

The Jackal wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:24 am
Snowy wrote:

I am not really bothered if people don't agree :)

GTA3 was a huge game for me, I had enjoyed a lot of titles which went vaguely in that direction before but not to the same degree. Driver for example, I loved the game but was always frustrated that you effectively played a car as your character never got out of it. Suddenly here was a game where the whole city was your playground, you could drive anything, steal cars from others, anyone and anything was fair game. It was the first game to give me that and all up close and personal. I had liked the concept of the previous GTA games but the perspective meant that staying alive or keeping a vehicle intact was always measured in seconds which pushed me away from each title. GTA3 gave me freedom and I was hooked.

I have loved them since then. I enjoyed Vice City mainly because of the Scarface vibe. San Andreas gave you a huge space to play in and an interesting story. GTA4 was the step change for me though, when they gave the vehicles heft, as well as the huge change to the visuals. I really enjoyed Nico's story too, plus those of the biker and club owner in the add-ons.

GTAV was great fun. I am not sure if the character-switching really worked, and I would like to have been able to change my default car, but those are my only real complaints. I have played loads of golf and tennis, gone hunting on the slopes of Mount Chilead, been eaten by a huge Great White shark, ridden a rollercoaster and all between playing oodles of missions and just tear-arsing around having fun.

Sure, the humour is a bit heavy-handed at times but throughout the series has often made me laugh out loud (usually stuff on the radio rather than in-game proper).

A new instalment in the series only comes once every few years and is something I will savour accordingly, as I know I will have a blast with it.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:44 pm
The Facebook proxy is named Life Invader for goodness sakes, there's no subtlety at all.
Remember that GTAV came out in 2013 - given what social media has become, I think they were pretty prescient with that one ;)
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=