I Just Watched (Films)

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Wrathbone
Local

Re: I Just Watched (Films)

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:40 pm

Angel Has Fallen

Obviously I wasn't expecting a masterpiece, but this has the sort of plot I'd expect to be generated by an AI. The majority of the film is people looking to the side, exhaling in frustration and uttering "Shit..." or "Fuck...", followed by an explosion or two. It's a pug-ugly film as well, with a horrible grey-blue filter applied throughout to give it the feel of an overcast day in Hull. Gerard Butler looks particularly rough, as though he prepared for the role by banging his face into a drystone wall a few times a day. As for Nick Nolte, I'm not sure whether he was meant to be part of the film or whether he simply emerged from a cave in the forest where they were filming, and so they decided to include him in shots as background wildlife.

At the very least, it makes London Has Fallen look nuanced.

I award it three weary Gerard Butlers out of 10 dejected Morgan Freemans.

Tichinde

Post by Tichinde » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:40 am

Found some time over the weekend for a couple of films.

John Wick 3
Good fun, but it's starting to get a little thin now. Not as good as the first or second films and I expect the 4th will be thinner again.

Hellboy 2019
I like the way it tells its own story of the original movie premise.
The cast is just not as likeable (except for Ian McShane) so if the original cast had done it I'd probably have enjoyed it more than enough.
#Notmyhellboy
"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Alan

Post by Alan » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:49 am

Jojo Rabbit
Loved it! Young boy in Nazi Germany just before the end of the war has Hitler as an imaginary friend. Its packed with laughs but it also knows that it should honour the serious aspects of that whole WW2 thing. Sam Rockwell great as always, Scarlett Johansson great too but the kids just steal the show. The main kid is really great in the part and his chubby friend just gets all the best lines and his delivery is perfect, one near the end had me laughing all the way home. Taika Waititi (plays Hitler himself) really is a great wee film maker. Film of 2020 so far ¬_¬ I didnt even hate Rebel Wilson in it. She was the worst thing in it by far (stop casting her!!) but I never felt the bile I usually do while shes on screen.

Cats
Not the film of the year so far. Infact probably the worst movie I have ever seen in the cinema. Nothing works, not even the sound seems like it was mixed properly. The only thing I can say thats positive is that Jennifer Hudson has an absolutely fantastic voice. Every other thing was dogshit. An incredible achievement when you have such a great cast (minus Rebel Wilson - yeah, probably the worst thing in the worst movie). First half of the movie is all about everyone wanting to fuck the new cat on the block and the second half is Idris teleporting cats to a boat because he wants to be picked as the special cat that gets to go on the euthanasia baloon. No its not as good as that sounds!

PS I really like musicals.

Little Women
I thought this was great. Its nice to have a story that has happy and sad turns without anyone really being a bad guy. Pretty much everyone is just a good person trying to do what good folk do for the most part, the bad guy is life. Maybe the twin timeline could have been done a bit better but its nothing major. Saoirse Ronan is great as always and I always love seeing Laura Dern in things but Meryl Streep is just perfect. Really good film.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:59 pm

hammer that loyalty card Alan !
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Alan

Post by Alan » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:47 am

We had planned to go every day this week because we didnt through the school holidays since its always mobbed. We only managed 3 though :( Maybe this week :lol:

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:58 am

Alan wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:49 am
Jojo Rabbit
Rebel Wilson
I have never heard of her before, but dislike her purely on her choice of made up acty name.
Alan wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:49 am
Cats
Every other thing was dogshit.
Not cat shit?
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:44 pm

Fantastically shot, beautiful in places and some get scenes which make up an utterly shit film. It’s clear the focus was on what would look cool over what would work well as a whole.

Snowy wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:58 am

Not cat shit?
Nope, cats shit in one place, dogs shit everywhere and this shit was certainly all over the place.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:25 pm

Looking forward to seeing 1917.

I hear Uncut Gems is also amazing

Re-watched on Netflix

The Bounty (1984)
. Still amazing after all these years. Phenomenal production values and its great to see so many familiar faces looking so young. A brilliant film. Saw it for the 1st time in HD and it looks gorgeous.
9/10

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:48 pm

The Lighthouse
A fascinating movie. Not quite a horror but very psychological. A do like the whole mind fuckery of it. The editing, acting and music are great
7/10

The Red Turtle
A charming animation. A fable on the meaning of life. T'is lovely.
8/10

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:55 am

Been watching a few films recently:

Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Fairly amusing rom-com but not overly sappy. Jason Segel tries to get over a bad breakup by going on an exotic holiday, only to find he's at the same resort as his ex and her new boyfriend. Perhaps even more than the comedy, the cast makes it work, Segel as believable as a generally nice if goofy guy in pain, Kristin Bell is awesome in everything she's in, Mila Kunis is great as the new love interest and even Russell Brand, who I largely detest, works as he's playing a largely detestable character.

The Running Man

Still awesome, get ta fuck sub-7.0 IMDB rating :x

The Highwaymen

Bit of a slow burn this one, but we enjoyed it. The story of the Texas Rangers who finally caught Bonnie & Clyde. I think the film has copped criticism in some quarters for its unflattering portrayal of the outlaws, who seem to have entered US folklore in much the same way as Ned Kelly in Australia, and certainly there are scenes where they get spotted in town and they get mobbed by people in a way reminiscent of The Beatles. But the film doesn't focus on them, really, and you only see their faces right at the end. Instead it follows the two real-life lawmen (Woody Harrelson and Kevin Costner) who investigate their crime scenes and eventually track them down. There's very little action so I'd say watch it only if you're in the mood for something slower, but it's still a good watch. The scene where a broken-down Harrelson is telling the story of how he met Costner to a room of starry-eyed young state police is particularly well done.

The Disaster Artist

This was great fun. I've never even seen The Room but obviously I know of it and have seen some Youtube reviewers having fun at its expense. But the story of how it came about is a fascinating one, while James Franco puts in an incredible performance as the enigmatic Tommy Wiseau, managing to portray not only his other-worldly weirdness but also make him strangely sympathetic. Definitely worth a watch if you're vaguely aware of The Room.

The Thing

The recent remake. It's not a disaster, but it is, basically, trash. It was somewhat interesting for the story of what happened leading to them finding the 'dog' at the start of the John Carpenter film, but that's about it. They managed the difficult task of making me feel sorry for the alien, who they repeatedly attack when it appears that all it wants to do is get back to its spaceship and escape.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:15 am

Sly Boots wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:55 am
The Running Man

10/10 if only for the line "Here is Sub-Zero. Now... PLAIN ZERO."

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:20 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:15 am
Sly Boots wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:55 am
The Running Man

10/10 if only for the line "Here is Sub-Zero. Now... PLAIN ZERO."
Along with Commando, Running Man is basically peak Arnie quotes.

It's all gold.

"He was a real pain in the neck" - after strangling someone with barbed wire

"He had to split" - after inserting a chainsaw into someone's groin and cutting them in half

"What a hothead" - after someone explodes in a fireball

"Well, that hit the spot" after Killian is fired out of the launch tube without a safety net, flying into an advertising hoarding, which then mysteriously explodes (I guess they were stockpiling petrol behind it, for, I dunno, reasons)

"We should have gone to Hawaii." "I had the shirt for it, but you fucked it up."

:lol:

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:33 am

Post-mortem one-liners are what raises 80s action above modern action films. :lol:

On a related note, I'll hopefully be watching the new Rambo tonight. Rambo was never big on one-liners, but fingers crossed it retains the spirit of bloodthirsty Reaganite capitilism enforced with a variety of infinite-ammo weapons and ludicrous, oiled muscles.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:06 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:33 am
Post-mortem one-liners are what raises 80s action above modern action films. :lol:

On a related note, I'll hopefully be watching the new Rambo tonight. Rambo was never big on one-liners, but fingers crossed it retains the spirit of bloodthirsty Reaganite capitilism enforced with a variety of infinite-ammo weapons and ludicrous, oiled muscles.
What he does with his fingers in this film will make you question what is too much. Fuck :shock:

Alan

Post by Alan » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:35 pm

Killian is also the only person to ever really counter an Arnie one liner.
“I’ll be back!”
“Only in a rerun!”
*zoom*

The Gentlemen
“Mommy, when gwo ups can I bees Quentin Tarantino?”
“Shut up Guy, we don’t even think you’re good enough to have a proper name.”
Hugh Grant is fab, the rest is just exactly what you expect it to be.

Star Wars - RotS
You can’t fault their visual design nor their sound design but seriously what is this fanfic bullshit?