Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege [PC, PS4, XBone]

Steam, Deals & More.
Alan

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege [PC, PS4, XBone]

Post by Alan » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:49 pm

Free weekend starts tomorrow at 2pm on all platforms and runs for 4 days. Lord Tachanka demands you play!

Well that was as good an excuse as any for starting a new topic on pretty much the only game I play much of lately. \:D/
Last edited by Alan on Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Raid
Local

Re: Rainbow 6 Siege. - Free weekend.

Post by Raid » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:52 pm

This is something that's largely passed me by; I remember it getting pretty poor reviews when it was first released, but I see it mentioned so often that I can only assume it's pretty good now?

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:54 pm

It's pretty much taken over as the only shooter I play nowadays too. Took me quite a long time to get into and I'm still pretty poor at navigating a lot of the maps, but my general skill with the weapon mechanics and outwitting people by shooting through walls and such has definitely improved. I absolutely love playing as Glaz on attack, on a good day I can pick up three or four kills in a round with him.

I've been trying to save up to buy some of the more interesting defence characters but you don't get currency at an especially quick rate and I only play on the odd weekend with friends.

It really is an excellent game though, especially now it has dedicated servers. Ubisoft are very good at bringing their games back from the dead after a dodgy launch.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:25 pm

Practise makes perfect. :P

My eldest plays a lot of this with his mates. It's their go to game even in this day of Battle Royale and all that, so that must count for something I suppose.

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:30 pm

It’s the game I always described as what I wanted and they finally made it. Small scale with focus on teamwork.

I’ve bought all the season passes on PS4 but on PC I went with just the starter pack and yeah, it’s a bit slow to earn the new characters. For anyone buying in I’d definitely recommend getting the pack one up from starter.

Also doesn’t help that what little skill I had with mouse aim has went out the window from me not having a desk setup the past 2 years and I might be too old to get it back now ;_;

I’m bad at it but I love it to bits. Lesion is my main man.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:08 pm

Free weekend means toxic shitlords everywhere who don't care if they get banned.
It also means there's loads of noobs, possibly in ranked!

Yin and yang!

This is also pretty much the only game I play with any regularity. A group of folks I know aim to play together every Tuesday night, should anyone find themselves free around then…
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

elgaucho

Post by elgaucho » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:56 pm

i recommend the game - it's pretty good fun, although i haven't touched it in about a year! :oops:

Been meaning to reinstall for a while - maybe i do this weekend and i can pass myself off as one of the freeloaders in the crowd.

That said... it means using Uplay doesn't it? -_-
Proud PW Member since 15/10/2003
A lurktastic 2678 posts!

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:27 pm

uPlay isn't actually all that bad nowadays.

elgaucho

Post by elgaucho » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:06 pm

I remember why i got a brand new hate for Uplay.

I don't have control over the language settings for the store. I can set everything to English, and it STILL shows it all in French, much to my distaste.

At least it didn't pick German...
Proud PW Member since 15/10/2003
A lurktastic 2678 posts!

BoggyB

Post by BoggyB » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:35 pm

I've picked the standard edition up since it's 60% off. If anyone wants to show me how to be not shit at it that'd be super handy. 👍

Alan

Post by Alan » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:36 pm

Pick Sledge and start hammering the floor above the objective away and blasting folk below. ;)

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:00 pm

He can do that? Isn't it restricted just to the little hatches that you can blow up? Or can he literally bash away any part of the floor?

I pretty much exclusively play Glaz on attack. -_-

Alan

Post by Alan » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:11 pm

Any wooden floor which a lot of them are. You cant drop through because of the support beams but you sure can shoot through. You can do the same with impact grenades as defenders. On the Consulate map the room at the front that can be a capture point is a great place to set it up. You can impact grenade a hole above the main door, go upstairs and catch people as they come in or you can impact grenade the floor and go into the basement and shoot up. The beams do get in the way sometimes so it’s not always an easy shot. The thing that makes Sledge so good is he can hammer so many holes that it makes it hard to know which one you’re going to shoot through.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:36 pm

I'll be trying that later then. I always thought it was odd that all Sledge could do was bash down barricades when it's so easy to do it with everyone else already.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:48 pm

And breakable walls, a lot of them! He’s also the quietest and quickest at breaching compared to others. AND you can get a Scottish flag on your gas mask giving even more desirability!

You should try Blitz on attack if you haven’t recently. The ability to run with shield up has made him incredibly fun. As long as there’s nobody that can shoot your side/back just run full pelt at people! You sometimes don’t need to flash, they turn and try to run away and you shoot/knife them in the back. If they don’t you flash and watch them shoot randomly as you get an easy kill. The flash effect is real close range now though so keep that in mind. When he works he feels so OP but there’s equal times it falls apart.... for me at least.