Borderlands 3

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
elgaucho

Re: Borderlands 3

Post by elgaucho » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:58 pm

Amara / Siren - basically an elemental weapon based build - the special hits for a truckload against most things, if you can survive the cooldowns.

Didn't really go in with any expectations, but it's worked out so far!
Proud PW Member since 15/10/2003
A lurktastic 2678 posts!

elgaucho

Post by elgaucho » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:05 pm

jeepsus! No one told me that when you finish the campaign and turn mayhem mode on, that survival is by the skin of your teeth and a bucketload of luck! :shock:

Turned the thing on, went to lectra city to finish some old quests, and it's some kind of stealth assassin game (with annoying spawns behind you).

Fun, but tense! :D
A lurktastic 2678 posts!

elgaucho

Post by elgaucho » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:52 am

I'm going to say... I'm in awe of this game. :o

I was expecting, optimistically, to spend 30 hours on it. I'm on over a 100 hours.

I just finished the Handsome Jackpot DLC, and that was MASSIVE. It just kept going on and on and on. It's a superbly balanced (perhaps with the wrong build), but constantly fun. The humour and characters are ridiculous, but in a very tolerable way, and they leave an impression (often hate / disgust, but what the hey!)

I'll probably start the second DLC soon, and tentatively levelling an operative with a streamlined run. :D
A lurktastic 2678 posts!

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:50 am

My co=op buddy is a troubled soul and has pretty much dropped off the radar - we had just properly got started on this and for me games like BL are only fun in co-op, so it is gathering metaphorical dust in my library :(
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:18 am

I'd volunteer to join you, but I've had so many new games recently that I really can't justify another. I'm still interested in buying this, but I suspect it may need to wait until summer.

elgaucho

Post by elgaucho » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:51 am

I'm game for some coop if it takes your fancy.

Did try with one friend though and it kept failing - but joining random matchmaking seems to work, oddly?
A lurktastic 2678 posts!

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:04 am

That's susprising, BL games connection is usually a doddle.

Yeah I would be up for a play-through co-op for sure - I will tell you what level the toon I was playing is up to when I get a chance.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:03 am

After finishing BL3 I pretty much lost all interest in it, really enjoyed it but there's no desire to return to it. I scoured every corner of BL1 & 2 though and got all the dlc and even replayed both games multiple times. Except for the Pre-Sequel, gave up on that a few hours in.
Could just be I'm jaded with the series or that I have about 10 other games on the go as well.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun May 03, 2020 5:25 pm

I caved and bought the game; £25 seems reasonably fair. I've got a group of friends who wanted to play so I'm happy to oblige.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon May 04, 2020 9:17 pm

I haven't started playing with friends yet, but this is bloody good fun even as a solo experience. I've just gotten my melee Siren to level 17, having just arrived at the third planet, and while I'd agree that so far the main villains are weak compared to Handsome Jack (he was one of the strongest villains in gaming so it's hardly a surprise), everything else is brilliant. I don't know whether I'm just lucky or whether the game deals out legendary items more easily, but I've found five so far. My favourite so far is a grenade that creates a vortex that draws nearby enemies in while constantly hitting them with shock damage. At this point I run in, use my Phaseslam to heavily damage and then finish off with a Radiation grenade launcher (technically a shotgun) that does 250% damage for a few seconds after I use my ability.

It's better so far than Pre-sequel was, it's probably on-par with 2.

elgaucho

Post by elgaucho » Tue May 05, 2020 6:15 pm

hey! I'm really glad you think so! I cannot BELIEVE i'm still being drawn back to it after a hundred hours!

I started with a siren too, although i definitely felt fairly squishy in endgame. I ended up levelling an Operative too using the DLC to spice it up. The DLC content is pretty good too - i enjoyed the locations and the the story, as much as you can enjoy any zany story in this. It's just a pickup shit and blow stuff up kind of game!

There have been LOADS of short term events that drop kaboodles of legendaries running on and off. This month it's "lootsplosion" i think. Each week one of the planets has a much higher chance for legendary weapons.

This guy explains it in a way that makes sense

when you get a bit further in you'll get a mission reward for a grenade called whispering ice - it's bloody brilliant - suggest you hang onto it, even when it gets way outlevelled!

I'd offer to join you but something in the hotfix patch last weekend has made my game client really unstable so i crash... VERY often. it's annoying to say the least.
A lurktastic 2678 posts!

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue May 05, 2020 8:18 pm

elgaucho wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 6:15 pm
hey! I'm really glad you think so! I cannot BELIEVE i'm still being drawn back to it after a hundred hours!
I ended up with over 180 hours in Borderlands 2, so I don't find that so surprising.

I *love* the fact that the game auto-adjusts enemy levels and weapon damage so that players of wildly different levels can play together and still have an equal experience. I had to muck around with character generators to get matching experiences for BL2.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Sat May 23, 2020 7:01 pm

I'm loving Borderlands 3 then.

For my first playthrough I'm just playing as Zane, without too much thought put into the skill trees. My second playthrough will probably be as a different character, and I'll then do the additional game modes to level up. I'm doing all the sidequests and just exploring everywhere first time round.

They've really upped the graphics detail compared to BL2 (I never played the presequel) although it's surprisingly been 8 years now since that was released. Which is crazy, I could swear that came out around 2016 or something.

Oh, and I'm soloing of course. :)

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sun May 24, 2020 8:44 am

On second play through don't pick the girl in the mech suit, very generic character. Might replay it myself if the dlc drops in price a bit.

I tried the challenge missions in solo and got fucking destroyed by the ordinary grunts so be warned.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:36 pm

Also, how huge is this game? I've gone 50 hours with it but still working my way through the final planet. With tons of challenges left to complete elsewhere. Much longer campaign than the previous two I'm finding. Lots more large driveable maps too.

I think the gunplay is definitely much better also; the characters perhaps aren't quite as memorable, but Borderlands has always primarily been about combat encounters for me so it's probably the best BL game overall. Time will tell.