Currently Playing

Steam, Deals & More.
Alan

Re: Currently Playing

Post by Alan » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:23 pm

I think I stealthed about 90% of it.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:44 pm

I'd definitely stick with it if you can. There are some very frustrating bits and sometimes the combat gets in the way of the story. Once you get better weapons and stuff like proxy mines it gets much better. Stealthing through an area and silently murdering everyone is very satisfying. Plus the story and voice acting has yet to be bettered in my opinion.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:10 pm

I'm having another crack at Witcher 3. Bounced off it a few years back; I think I'd got about halfway through when I drifted away from it. I can't remember the exact reasons why it didn't really click with me first time round. Probably a combination of things; tbh I'm not sure if I've ever particularly liked the character of Geralt as a playable protagonist, which has always been a bit of a stumbling block.

Anyway, I'll see if I get into it a bit more this time round. Certainly looks pretty with everything on Ultra!

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:17 am

Skyrim

I played this on the 360 for over 100 hours but never finished the main quest, distracted by side missions and whatnot. Bought the complete version yesterday for Xbone and dithered about playing it, had a look and was sucked right back in again. It's fugly and really showing its age now but still great fun. I'm tempted to mod it but went a bit mad with Fallout 4 and messed that game up with mods. I'll stick with vanilla for the moment.

The music in this game is sublime...

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:20 am

Yeah it really is, I used to listen to it a lot on Spotify but find I can't stomach listening to it now after the revelations about the composer came out. :(

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:58 am

Getting to know this game a bit better now, some real batman vibes.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:11 am

Sly Boots wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:36 am
Baldur's Gate

I had a yin for another playthrough of this, and was pretty pleased to discover I already had the original, non-Beamdogged version in my GOG library, which since their Enhanced Edition you can no longer in fact buy. But anyway. It's been years since I played it, and decided to play a rogueish character. Needless to say I was thrilled to discover when you get caught stealing they summon the Candlekeep guards, who you can call "baldy virgins" and run away from (if you leave a room or area you cease to exist as far as the AI is concerned :lol:). I took a few beatings but accrued a good amount of wealth. Then I left Candlekeep with Gorion, met up with Imoen and was promptly eaten by a wolf. I hadn't saved :(

I may go back to it, but might be while before I can summon the enthusiasm to go through all that again. Besides, it seemed like a pretty fitting end for the sort of gittish character I was playing :lol:
I did indeed go back into it - in fact I got completely hooked all over again and ended up beasting it over the best part of a week, and defeated Sarevok as of yesterday evening.

Playing the original version rather than the EE was a lesson in humiliation a lot of the time. That shit is hard, and death does literally wait around every corner. And, being totally old-school, there's no quick-save (that I could locate), so I got in the habit of saving before and after every combat encounter, before/after resting and also levelling - as there's nothing worse than waiting for 5 hours of play-time to level up, only for RNG to kick in and give you an extra 1hp. Dying all the time, I needed my hp's!

I think I've only played - certainly completed - it once before, so I had almost zero recollection of it outside of the starter area, so it was nice playing it (almost fresh).

I'm glad I played it to completion, but having done so I think it may be too unforgivingly old-school - not only in terms of difficulty, but for things like quick-saves, map markers, the sort of QOLs that modern games have - to go back to it anytime soon.

But, have already started a new BG2 playthrough (EE this time, as I already had that on Steam), and me, Minsc and Boo are primed to deliver another butt-kicking :D

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:55 pm

Have you played BG2 before? I’d love to be able to experience for the first time again!

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:58 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:55 pm
Have you played BG2 before? I’d love to be able to experience for the first time again!
Oh yeah, at least three playthroughs down the years. It's been quite a while, though, and iirc I never completed the EE after buying it on Steam, I ran aground on some of the new Beamdog content which, perhaps unsurprisingly, isn't a patch on the original stuff.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:03 am

Yeah, I've tried the Beamdog quests but they're really not worth it.

Paul

Post by Paul » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:36 pm

I accidentally tripped and fell back into World of Warcraft after many years away.

Now the character I created back in 2004/5 is at level cap, and I'm really enjoying it.

God damnit.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:15 pm

This is the Police 2

The original This is the Police was a fantastic game with a dull story about corruption attached. The sequel tantalises you in the first few minutes with a tutorial of a new X-COM stlye side to the game which appears to have great promise. That lasts all of 2 or 3 minutes, which is then followed by over 40 godawful minutes of cutscenes with a scant minute or two where you get to compose a letter by choosing different options for contextualising the last game's forgettable events. 40 minutes of waffle and it dumped me at a puzzle where you have to piece together some crime scene, but I quit to regain my sanity.

I want to go back to it because lord help me there better be an actual game in there that's worth playing. Even if the story had the best writers in the world (which it doesn't - it's garbage), I didn't buy a game to watch a film. For all I know, once this puzzle is solved there could be another hour of cutscenes before the game starts proper. I assume they're skippable, which is something I would usually never do on the first run through a game, but the next inevitable cutscene is going to fill me with dread that I'm its prisoner forever and it will never end. Maybe they'll have the mercy to include an interval after the heat death of the universe.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:05 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:15 pm
This is the Police 2

The original This is the Police was a fantastic game with a dull story about corruption attached. The sequel tantalises you in the first few minutes with a tutorial of a new X-COM stlye side to the game which appears to have great promise. That lasts all of 2 or 3 minutes, which is then followed by over 40 godawful minutes of cutscenes with a scant minute or two where you get to compose a letter by choosing different options for contextualising the last game's forgettable events. 40 minutes of waffle and it dumped me at a puzzle where you have to piece together some crime scene, but I quit to regain my sanity.

I want to go back to it because lord help me there better be an actual game in there that's worth playing. Even if the story had the best writers in the world (which it doesn't - it's garbage), I didn't buy a game to watch a film. For all I know, once this puzzle is solved there could be another hour of cutscenes before the game starts proper. I assume they're skippable, which is something I would usually never do on the first run through a game, but the next inevitable cutscene is going to fill me with dread that I'm its prisoner forever and it will never end. Maybe they'll have the mercy to include an interval after the heat death of the universe.
I enjoyed it, but must admit you've bounced pretty hard off what is undeniably the worst part of the game. It does get better, but there are also still a fair few lengthy cutscenes. The tactical levels are pretty decent.

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:05 pm

Star Wars Battlefront 2

Playing through the multiplayer on a quest for the plat and come across something interesting.

There's a map known as Takonda which is based on Maz Kanatas castle seen in Force Awakens. Funny bit is the woodland area from that film was shot in a place known as Puzzlewood, which is about 2 miles away from where I live. This map while obviously set up for multiple people and nowhere near as claustrophobic as the real thing is true in look.

I'm no stranger to having movies and TV filmed near me. As well as star wars, we've had doctor who, britannia, the end of the f*cking World, most of the outdoor stuff from sex education was shot here, and the red house you see in it is a ten minute drive away.

First time I've seen a reference in a game though. Spiffing.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:22 pm

I continue to play DCS World quite a bit. Today I took my Tomcat up to trial-run a mission I'm building for a friend. We launch from the deck of the USS Stennis sailing in the Strait of Hormuz to bomb an Iranian weapons factory in the coastal city of Bandar Abbas. I take my plane up to 30,000 feet, tell my AI weapons officer Jester to ready our bomb load, nervous of the 3 MiG-21s my AWACS is telling me are patrolling Iranian airspace. My radar warning receiver is frequently pinging from Iranian ground radar that will guide SAMs to blow me out of the sky should I stray into their effective range. Suddenly I get a missile lock warning and Jester points out the SAM hurtling up at me from my 11 o'clock. I dive down to the deck dropping chaff to try and break the lock, or drive the missile into the ground. I must have lost three or four missiles by the time I get down to ground level, but I've lost vision on the target structure. I circle low over Bandar Abbas trying to spot it, constantly under fire from the one SAM site that I must be in range of. Finally I see the factory, pull up so that I have enough room to get a computer aiming point for my ordnance. I drop the bombs while maneuvering so as not to give any active missiles an easy target... and explode.

I flew into my own bombs.