Gaming/office chairs

Error 304, turn it on and off again.
Rossell

Gaming/office chairs

Post by Rossell » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:01 am

Anyone had any experience with these? I'm looking for something comfy, and catering for a 6"5 bloke with long legs. Most reviews of the best selling chairs they seem to be falling apart after six months.

Lee

Re: Gaming/office chairs

Post by Lee » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:09 pm

Gaming chairs are cheaply made as you've read and a extortionate price to boot since you can get them for under £150 without the name attached.

Only thing I can suggest is to make sure it's a metal frame for both back and seat with inbuilt lumber support and some sort of mesh that allows breathing. If worried about the height you can easily swap in replacement gas cylinders that are taller to let your legs/feet sit comfortable. Very cheap items and best to attach them to the new chair as there a bugger to get off otherwise.
Mr Annoyed and Proud of it.

Alan

Post by Alan » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:20 pm

As a cheapskate I heartily recommend just searching ebay (search within X miles), facebook marketplace, gumtree etc.. You can get some good stuff for fractions of the price. Currently sitting on a really comfy office chair I got for a tenner that retailed for over 200. The only thing it needed was a little oil since it was in the chaps garage for a few months. Big things like desks and chairs that folk dont want to post and just want rid of go stupid cheap. You might find nothing but a saved search can dig up some nice bargains after a little while ;)
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

elgaucho

Post by elgaucho » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:14 am

I'm going to say the last two chairs I've bought, each of which lasted me 10 years, were both from Staples, costing around 150-200, to the best of my memory. They have a decent selection, and I'm slightly disappointed i'm not in the UK as i would probably replace my current one in the next year or so if i had that choice!
Proud PW Member since 15/10/2003
A lurktastic 2678 posts!

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:07 pm

OK, not a cheap option but I can't recommend highly enough - Secret Lab gaming chairs.

I bought one last year and it is by far the best constructed, most comforable and supportive chair I have ever owned. I suffer with a damaged back, so need a chair that provides support, and I have been so pleased working from my home office for the last few months that I had this chair. I have the Omega, but there are models for larger folks too.

If it is within your budget, you won't regret it.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:39 pm

Thanks for the suggestions all. I'm going to take a proper look at secretlab, I'd seen that before but thought it looked too good to be true (and expensive as you say).

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:28 pm

I asked my housemate who has a Secretlabs Titan, and her response was "it's amazing and I never want to sit in anything else again". I have tried it but it's not setup to be comfortable for me so all I can really comment on is how solid and well built it is. I'm considering getting one myself in the future.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:18 am

I got a Titan a couple of months ago for my dodgy back and it’s been fantastic. I’ve never experienced better build quality in furniture. Perhaps it’s coincidence, but I’ve just spent a week at my parents’ (sans-Titan) and I’ve done my back in.

That being said, I can see why it’s not for everyone. The seat is very firm with little cushioning, which some people will not like. I find it comfortable after a full day working at the desk because of how supportive it is. The adjustable lumbar support is a godsend.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:33 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:18 am
That being said, I can see why it’s not for everyone. The seat is very firm with little cushioning, which some people will not like. I find it comfortable after a full day working at the desk because of how supportive it is. The adjustable lumbar support is a godsend.
Initially the foam is hard and can be a little uncomfortable - the first 3-6 months maybe. It moulds to you over time though, very slowly, and becomes the most comfortable place you could sit. You will get there soon enough :)

Importantly it does not go the other way that most chairs do, where the foam turns into a flat unsuppportive mess.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:41 am

It is starting to mould to me a bit already, which is good. Honestly, even if it stayed firm forever it would still be the most comfortable chair I've ever owned.

Also worth mentioning how easy it was to put together - the design really is second to none! The last chair I had needed a team of octopuses to hold everything in place while trying to force screws that wouldn't go in properly.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:47 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:41 am
It is starting to mould to me a bit already, which is good. Honestly, even if it stayed firm forever it would still be the most comfortable chair I've ever owned.

Also worth mentioning how easy it was to put together - the design really is second to none! The last chair I had needed a team of octopuses to hold everything in place while trying to force screws that wouldn't go in properly.
It always stays firm, but softens where your body naturally occupies.

I agree too, I knew I had bought quality at the first moment of unboxing and building it just confirmed that initial impression. If this chair broke tomorrow, I would not consider any other make to replace it, which is about as good a recommendation as I can give.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:10 pm

I bought a Nitro Concepts C100 a few months ago and have no complaints so far. It was about £150, doesn't do anything particularly fancy or have adjustable lumbar support but it's cushioned enough to be rather comfortable.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:15 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:18 am
I got a Titan a couple of months ago for my dodgy back and it’s been fantastic. I’ve never experienced better build quality in furniture. Perhaps it’s coincidence, but I’ve just spent a week at my parents’ (sans-Titan) and I’ve done my back in.

can you send me a link please as I am interested. Thanks
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:27 am

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:55 am

wow £400 :shock:

I might save me pennies for that one !

Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4