Favourite Films

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Re: Favourite Films

Post by Stormbringer » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:23 am

Snowy wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:19 am
(I may earn the eternal enmity of Doug for this but I really didn't like Gladiator).
I really couldn't care less if you like it or not. ¬_¬
Between tedium and fright
Such is the song of the nether world
The hissing of rats
And the jarring chants of angels

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:23 am

Also a couple from me.

Withnail & I is one that I just have to watch at least once per year. Utter genius from start to end, plus I have a colleague at work who is just as much of a fan as I am, and we delight in firing quotes when the other least expects it, trying to make them laugh on calls or in meetings, guffaw a mouthful of food into the monitor, that kind of thing.

The only film I have watched more is probably Life of Brian, which is quite simply the funniest film ever made.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:28 am

Maturin wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:22 am
Snowy wrote:
So Master & Commander watched on the back of this thread, and mightily enjoyed it was too. Are the books worth looking into as well?
They're my favourite military fiction novels. I definitely recommend picking up the first book in the series at the very least, to see how you get on with it. It's a self contained story.

It covers Aubrey's first command in the Mediterranean. It's detailed naval warfare though, i had to do a tiny bit of research to get up to speed with some of the terms used, but its' hugely rewarding because O'Brian is an incredible writer.
I will definitely look them up then - I love that period of history anyhow, and having worked through all the Sharpe books by Bernard Cornwell (together with my overall interest in the period) I know a reasonable amount. The nautical terms I am sure I will pick up on as I go :)

That's great too, a whole new author's work to go through, can't wait!
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:37 am

Snowy wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:23 am
Also a couple from me.

Withnail & I is one that I just have to watch at least once per year. Utter genius from start to end, plus I have a colleague at work who is just as much of a fan as I am, and we delight in firing quotes when the other least expects it, trying to make them laugh on calls or in meetings, guffaw a mouthful of food into the monitor, that kind of thing.

The only film I have watched more is probably Life of Brian, which is quite simply the funniest film ever made.
I still regularly quote Withnail (and Life of Brian come to that).

It came into my life again only the other night. The actor who played Danny was in something we were watching (pretty sure it was Life on Mars, which we've been rewatching), which prompted the whole Camberwell Carrot scene to be played out again when I recognised who it was :lol:

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:57 am

My favourite film of all time is A Few Good Men, mostly because I'm a sucker for Aaron Sorkin's writing and this is his finest work.

As for what I think the best film of all time is (as in the most well-made film across the board), that's a much more difficult choice. Gladiator is certainly up there for me. Casablanca remains a masterpiece. For now, though, I think the film that has had the biggest impact on me in terms of what cinema can achieve is Jurassic Park. Every inch of that film is made to the highest quality, and it pushed the boundaries of the medium.

Jez

Post by Jez » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:57 pm

Yep i enjoyed it also. Definitely a series I'll be reading soon. I heard all sorts of good things about it. Have to finish up on the witcher books first though.
19-10-2003
12072 :-({|=

Gibby

Post by Gibby » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:03 pm

Snowy wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:28 am
Maturin wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:22 am
Snowy wrote:
So Master & Commander watched on the back of this thread, and mightily enjoyed it was too. Are the books worth looking into as well?
They're my favourite military fiction novels. I definitely recommend picking up the first book in the series at the very least, to see how you get on with it. It's a self contained story.

It covers Aubrey's first command in the Mediterranean. It's detailed naval warfare though, i had to do a tiny bit of research to get up to speed with some of the terms used, but its' hugely rewarding because O'Brian is an incredible writer.
I will definitely look them up then - I love that period of history anyhow, and having worked through all the Sharpe books by Bernard Cornwell (together with my overall interest in the period) I know a reasonable amount. The nautical terms I am sure I will pick up on as I go :)

That's great too, a whole new author's work to go through, can't wait!
The first book is pretty heavy on the jargon and also a bit long winded (hurhur) at times with how much detail O'Brian goes into about the workings of the ship, what various ropes do and all that. While I read and enjoyed the first book (but have yet to carry on the series due to distractions) I have heard that the first is, despite being important, among the slowest of them all.
Last edited by Gibby on Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gibby

Post by Gibby » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:05 pm

Why on earth did I quote myself? :lol:
Last edited by Gibby on Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:31 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:57 am
My favourite film of all time is A Few Good Men, mostly because I'm a sucker for Aaron Sorkin's writing and this is his finest work.
Fantastic actor too.
Spoiler

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:12 pm

:lol:

ManBearSquid

Post by ManBearSquid » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:22 pm

In no particular order:

Alien
The Thing
The Last Of The Mohicans
Jurassic Park
Leon
Labyrinth

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:57 pm

ManBearSquid wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:22 pm
The Last Of The Mohicans
Good shout! That's brilliant.
Between tedium and fright
Such is the song of the nether world
The hissing of rats
And the jarring chants of angels

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:59 pm

ManBearSquid wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:22 pm
In no particular order:

Alien
The Thing
The Last Of The Mohicans
Jurassic Park
Leon
Labyrinth
I got my girls to watch Labyrinth for the first time a couple of months ago as I thought they were about the right age (5 and 7). To my delight they really enjoyed it, finding it just as thrilling and in parts somewhat terrifying as I did when watching it at their age.

I'm considering The Dark Crystal too at some point, although given that the appearance of the Skexis is a bit unnerving I might leave it another year or two.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:03 pm

The Dark Crystal absolutely terrified me as a child. It's another one of my favourites though. For some reason, whenever I watch it the whole thing takes on almost a dreamlike quality rather than feeling like I'm watching a movie. Perhaps it's just an overwhelming feeling of nostalgia.

Labyrinth is also a top pick. I know the words for most of the songs. ¬_¬

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:07 pm

Mantis wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:03 pm
The Dark Crystal absolutely terrified me as a child. It's another one of my favourites though. For some reason, whenever I watch it the whole thing takes on almost a dreamlike quality rather than feeling like I'm watching a movie. Perhaps it's just an overwhelming feeling of nostalgia.

Labyrinth is also a top pick. I know the words for most of the songs. ¬_¬
Did you know Danny "The Cat" John-Jules plays one of the Fireys? I get a bit of a kick out of that for some reason.