PC Speakers

Error 304, turn it on and off again.
Mantis
Landlord

Re: PC Speakers

Post by Mantis » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:19 pm

I haven't picked a replacement yet so I'll have to give them a check over. Hadn't looked into these ones before, cheers.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:39 pm

No problem, Digital Foundry did a round-up of the best speakers at various price points recently and the t100s were the winners of the mid-range.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digi ... 030#budget

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:26 pm

So I caved in the end and bought the T40s as there isn't really anything comparable in the midrange market for price versus sound balance. They're pretty hefty compared to the 20s, they also sound excellent.

One of the reviews I read mentioned an even more drastic power saving method where the speaker literally powered down whenever it detected more than 5 seconds of silence, he seemed to be an edge case or just have a faulty set though as nobody else had that complaint and mine are free from it too. I haven't noticed the 10 minute standby mode yet and likely won't come across it much as I tend to always have something playing in the background whenever I'm at the PC.

Happy chappy overall. Hopefully these ones last another 12 years.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:04 pm

My beloved, and venerable T20s died. I tried cheaping out a bit and picked up a pair of £30 speakers, but after only a half hour or so's use I can't really get on with them, so I think I'm going to have to get a new set of T20s, with the horrible power-saving feature. Why, Creative? :(

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:17 pm

You get used to it. It's only really email alerts that bug me the most, being at my other desk working and not knowing an email has arrived, but you can hear a very slight pop of the static as the speakers come on if the room's quiet enough.

Abs_McBain

Post by Abs_McBain » Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:03 pm

Series 1 T20 speakers? Hope you didn't bin them, the drivers are Cambridge Audio. Well worth considering repairwork from a professional if possible.

I still got my T20 S1, although switching them on causes a bit of a pop noise due to dirt in the power dial. Don't you give up on me speakers!

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:09 pm

Ah bugger, I took mine to PC World for recycling. #-o

On the plus side, the T40s are very good too. The power saving feature isn't really that annoying. It rarely kicks in for me because I tend to almost always have some sort of background audio playing, like having Spotify on quietly. When it does activate it you only miss about a second or so of audio from whatever you start playing whilst the speaker boots back up.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:57 pm

Abs_McBain wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:03 pm
Series 1 T20 speakers? Hope you didn't bin them, the drivers are Cambridge Audio. Well worth considering repairwork from a professional if possible.

I still got my T20 S1, although switching them on causes a bit of a pop noise due to dirt in the power dial. Don't you give up on me speakers!
Interesting, they're still on my desk awaiting disposal, so might look into a repair. I cancelled my T20 S2 order as I decided to try to live with my cheaper speakers for a while (they're growing on me a bit, although the bass is still lacking).

Abs_McBain

Post by Abs_McBain » Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:10 pm

I try to keep a hold of electronic devices for as long as possible, just to avoid grabbing a new interation which has some kind of compromise to the original that starts bugging at me when I use it.
Finding experienced technicians to service stuff can be tricky, sometimes you just gotta open it yourself and get in there!

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:16 pm

Mine must be the best part of 20 years old and still going, Creative 7.1 setup I got with the first gaming PC I bought.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=