Console Country!
Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Dark Souls Trilogy [PS4, XBone] - October 19th

Post by Medicine Man » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:46 am

Alan

Re: Dark Souls Trilogy [PS4, XBone] - October 19th

Post by Alan » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:13 am

So they made everyone buy DS1 remaster first. Crafty!
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:06 pm

It's just a compilation of all of the current releases though, so if you already own them all then there's no reason to drop the cash again.

I'm glad Dark Souls Remastered is a separate thing, it's my favourite in the series and I already have Scholar of the First Sin and DS3 with the DLC on PC.

One hell of a trilogy though, one of the best franchises ever made.

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:32 pm

I wish they’d do Demon Souls, at least on PS4. It’s the only one I didn’t get bored of before finishing.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

ManBearSquid

Post by ManBearSquid » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:13 pm

I really enjoyed the first game even though it was a love/hate relationship to begin with. I played it on and off for about 4 years haha. The mistake I kept making was getting stuck on a boss and then not playing it for 6-8 months or so.

Tried the second game and hated it. It just felt all wrong to me and was really ugly and lacking in style compared to the first.

I've played the 3rd game up to the point just after you defeat the dancer and then I decided I needed a break. I think I burnt myself out a bit on the first DLC (the painting) as even though I enjoyed the style of it, the optional boss is trash and the main one started to grate on me even though it is a pretty cool fight. I'll go back to it some day.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:53 pm

The sequel had the misfortune of being developed alongside Bloodborne, so Miyazaki didn't actually contribute anything to its design because he was busy working on the new IP. As an action RPG it is very functional and fun, but as a successor to Dark Souls it falls short by quite a way. A huge part of the allure of the first game is the elaborate world building and the way areas seamlessly fold around each other, the second was clearly a sequence of self contained levels that were plonked together with no real rhyme or reason. They made some pretty significant changes to the combat mechanics too which never felt quite as good to me.

ManBearSquid

Post by ManBearSquid » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:30 pm

It just really wasn't for me given the differences that you pointed out. The first really is a total gem and I was loving the third before I needed a break. I'll definitely go back to it once I'm more keen again.

Bloodborne is on my list.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:47 pm

Dark Souls II isn't as good as the other two Dark Souls games, but I think it gets treated very unfairly. Anything good it does is glossed over because Miyazaki didn't have a hand in the game, I think if he had produced Dark Souls 2 it would be seen in a totally different light.

It has the biggest variety of builds available of the three games and some really good moments and boss fights. Despite looking ropey in places I still think it has one of the best looking areas of all the games in Majula. Even with it's faults its still a very good game.