The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Exciting adventures IRL.
Raid
Local

Re: The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Post by Raid » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm

The saga continues. I had a fever last night. I didn't realise it until after I'd had the second dose of codeine. I woke up at 2am a little bit delirious, noticed a new rash that hadn't been there 24 hours earlier and thought I was having an allergic reaction to the codeine. If you look up medicine allergies, the NHS basically says "GO TO A&E. DO NOT PASS GO. DO NOT COLLECT £200", but in my delirium I decided this was a stupid overreaction plus it was raining outside and I don't drive so obviously staying in bed all snug and warm (you know that pleasant stage of a fever where you know you're too warm but you don't sweat and it's difficult to fight the urge to just pile on more blankets because being warm is wonderful? Yeah, that) was a much better decision. I also took my temperature with a meat thermometer, because that's the only temperature sensor I had that I could comfortably fit in my mouth. And yup, fever. I made sure to take photos of this to prove to my boss that I wasn't making this up because by this point it was all feeling a bit ridiculous. No I'm not posting the photos.

This morning I again phoned my doctor's surgery at exactly 8am (I had the UTC clock up and everything, because the lines obviously open automatically on the hour) having worked out the trick of skipping the three minute preamble about covid and associated NHS stuff and got to the front of the queue immediately. I got told to go to the NHS "Red Site" at Lancaster uni, which thanks to my days playing XCom 2 made me assume I was going for gene splicing or to be liquified and fed to other experiments, and the extremely pleasant nurse pretty much took one look at the rash and said in as deadpan tone as is possible for someone with that much charisma;

"You've got shingles."

Shingles. The god damn adult chickenpox. Not covid, not an allergic reaction to something floating around my blood stream, not a debilitating and repeatable spinal condition. Shingles.

And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:33 pm

Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.
This needs to be taken out of context in the future. :lol:

But yikes, sorry man, shingles sucks, and I can only imagine that sciatica with shingles is a pure nightmare. Are they related, as in the shingles possibly triggering the sciatica, or some other common cause?

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:35 pm

I don't have sciatica, or at least she was fairly sure of it. The rash appeared covering the areas under which I'd been experiencing the pain. The nurse thought shingles explained all of the symptoms.
Eventually, it may reactivate and travel along nerve pathways to your skin — producing shingles. But, not everyone who's had chickenpox will develop shingles.
Reading that I suppose it could have travelled along the sciatic nerve, which gave the impression of it being sciatica. I've never had any real back pain before, it's entirely possible I was just misinterpreting the signals.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:43 pm

Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:35 pm
I don't have sciatica, or at least she was fairly sure of it. The rash appeared covering the areas under which I'd been experiencing the pain. The nurse thought shingles explained all of the symptoms.
Ah, well that's a small mercy. I suppose you'll at least get some time off work for a week or two?

Pew-Pew

Post by Pew-Pew » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:45 am

I had shingles 3 or 4 years ago. I think I was quite lucky though, I didn't get much of the sharp pains that you often get from it, mainly just the rash.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:13 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:33 pm
Raid wrote:
Agree with this :lol:

Seriously bud, hope you are feeling better soon!
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:05 pm

When the Amazon tracking shows your driver all round about your house. 8 drops to go. 6. 4. Hes just doing loops round you getting ever closer. 2. 1. Then you litterally watch him piss right off up to McDonalds a mile up the road for his lunch! I mean how dare he? Does he not know who I am?
Last edited by Alan on Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:43 am

Comment threads on articles. Toxic swamps without exception.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:15 am

No they aren't, fuck you and your immediate ancestors.

Something that I've noticed during the pandemic; unclear packaging on shop shelves. I have to remove my glasses when I go shopping so I can put my mask on (I haven't been able to stop them steaming up), and although my vision is pretty good without them, I can't make out fine detail. Trying to work out which painkillers were suitable for my ongoing illness was damned near impossible, because companies like Nurofen have near identical packaging for their entire range, and the boxes are so small that they can't include large fonts.

I suppose this is less a Room 101 thing and more a genuine concern for people without good eyesight.

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:05 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:33 pm
Raid wrote:

But yikes, sorry man, shingles sucks, and I can only imagine that sciatica with shingles is a pure nightmare. Are they related, as in the shingles possibly triggering the sciatica, or some other common cause?
Empathy for you there, Raid. I had shingles on my right hand way back, like ten years ago, barely into my 40s. I remembered having a weird tingling sensation and patches of numb skin starting from my right shoulder and moving down my arm over about three weeks, but I didn't attach it to a pending shingles attack. That was the virus moving down my nerve fibers. The rash itself was exquisitely painful, one of the worst pains I've felt in my life - and I'm pretty tough when it comes to pain. My dermatologist is a magician and helped me tremendously, the rash subsided (while I was on vacation in Hawaii!) in about four days, dried up and stopped being so tender.
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:25 pm

Thankfully the rash is subsiding, but the pain underneath isn't. It feels like I've been opened up and someone's stuck a hand blender into all of the muscles in the left side of my torso and my left thigh. The painkillers aren't really doing much anymore either, so I've largely stopped taking them.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:54 pm

Raid wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:15 am
No they aren't, fuck you and your immediate ancestors.

Something that I've noticed during the pandemic; unclear packaging on shop shelves. I have to remove my glasses when I go shopping so I can put my mask on (I haven't been able to stop them steaming up), and although my vision is pretty good without them, I can't make out fine detail. Trying to work out which painkillers were suitable for my ongoing illness was damned near impossible, because companies like Nurofen have near identical packaging for their entire range, and the boxes are so small that they can't include large fonts.

I suppose this is less a Room 101 thing and more a genuine concern for people without good eyesight.
Use your phone camera to photograph the packaging then zoom to make it legible - welcome to the broken eyes club :lol:
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:06 pm

How people in supermarkets seem to transform into self centered, brain dead assholes. I'll just park my trolley here across the aisle and fuck off for 5 minutes. What's inside this box..better open it up then toss the contents back on the shelf. There's my fellow fuckwit friend, let's completely block off this area to have a chat. Now that I've payed for my goods I'd better pack them at a speed glaciers laugh at and fuck the massive queue I'm causing.

People are bastards :x

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:05 pm

Doubly so in the pandemic. Personally I go there to get the job done and go. Sometimes I'm in a good mood and peruse the food a bit more for ideas but always try to be aware of whose around me.

Twats.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:42 pm

Microsoft Teams.

It's unstable and it has some bewildering design features, e.g. when you're in a call and someone posts something in the chat sidebar, if you've got the window maximised then you can't reply because the notification appears right over the textbox. ](*,)

But worst of all, setting your status to do not disturb (vital when I need to concentrate on something and every man and his dog is after me) still allows messages to come through. I seem to remember Skype actively blocks people or tells them you're busy. Teams does nothing at all to help you. Horrible piece of software.