Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Raid
Local

Re: Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Post by Raid » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:15 pm

I think he can be both. He comes across as frustrated, maybe even angry, and why shouldn't he be? It's really quite astonishing how much damage we've done in under a century, with the human population more than doubling, and the atmospheric carbon quantity having give up by about 50% if I remember the quoted figures.

We didn't understand the effects of industrialisation at the start, the evidence just wasn't there, but we understand it now and we've got the technology and infrastructure to make fixes a reality. But the frustration comes from how we *still* seem to be putting money into technologies that just aren't sustainable and actively damaging our environment. It's absurd, and presumably based on short term gains to please shareholders rather than long term investment that could be expensive. Oil companies aren't going to just pivot away to renewables when there's still a lot of money to be made in fossil fuels, and that's why I think Attenborough's enthusiasm is misplaced. The technology is there but the people with the money aren't willing to invest in it because it doesn't look good in their quarterly reports.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:44 pm

Sadly I wholeheartedly agree. Short-term "I'm all right Jack" fuckwittery will likely fuck things up for the whole planet, if we aren't already past that point.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:39 am

So we finished Them, it was great! Then we thought we’d stay on the horrible racism train and started The Underground Railroad on prime and it’s not great. Premise is that the Underground Railroad is actually literal and it follows two slaves as they go from place to place on this weird train. We gave up after 3 or 4. The acting is great, production values are top notch but the pacing, editing and cohesion is just all over the place. A character is being piled on by four guys and in the next cut he’s fine and the attackers are forgotten about for example. It’sa shame because they have a good cast and money behind it. It has styyyyylllleeee.

Now were watching Schmigadoon on apple TV which we’re loving. Keegan Michael Key and his lady get trapped in a town that is a living 1950s musical. It’s great!
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:17 am

Alan wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:39 am
Now were watching Schmigadoon on apple TV which we’re loving. Keegan Michael Key and his lady get trapped in a town that is a living 1950s musical. It’s great!
Saw that featured on Gogglebox where it was competely polarising. Sorry to say I was in the "Fuck no" camp, I never understood the appeal of musicals!
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:25 am

Same.

I imagine my wife'll love it though.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:40 pm

They’re just joyful and fun things. A good musical is wonderful but when they’re bad they’re really really bad.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:02 pm

Love, Death & Robots season 2

Not as good as season 1 with a couple of stories coming up somewhat short of a solid ending like The Tall Grass (which had my favourite type of animation) and The Drowned Giant.

My favourites were Automated Customer Service which
Spoiler
has the same plot used in Life Hutch which is dumb
and Pop Squad which only reinforced my belief that spin off Bladerunner show is wholly possible.

Overall 6/10
Last edited by Achtung Englander on Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:04 pm

Medici season 2

Complete bollocks but amazing fun while at it. I really enjoyed the last 2 episodes which re-enacted the famous Pazzi Conspiratory of 1478. Brilliant fluff.

7/10
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:42 pm

Post Mortem: No One Dies in Skarnes
A new Norwegian show on Netflix about a girl found very dead in a field but wakes up at the start of her autopsy (that made my butthole pucker somewhat...)and seems perfectly fine again. Weird shit starts happening. It's a very dry humour with a sinister undertone that the Norwegians seem excel at. Only on 2nd episode but its pretty good so far.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:37 pm

Animalmother wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:42 pm
Post Mortem: No One Dies in Skarnes
A new Norwegian show on Netflix about a girl found very dead in a field but wakes up at the start of her autopsy (that made my butthole pucker somewhat...)and seems perfectly fine again. Weird shit starts happening. It's a very dry humour with a sinister undertone that the Norwegians seem excel at. Only on 2nd episode but its pretty good so far.
Just finished this myself, good watch.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:44 am

Kevin Can F*** Himself (Prime)

I'm enjoying this, even if my wife says it's a little strange for her tastes. The idea is it follows the life of the typical beleaguered wife from those archetypal, laughter track, 90s US sitcoms. It starts off as typically one of those, where the husband is an insensitive schlub whose every utterance is a gag of some kind, and then when the wife goes into the kitchen on her own the laughter track vanishes, the colour gets more muted and you see the angst and dissatisfaction of her life behind the scenes.

So, it's effectively two shows in one, and I think it's genius, and the actress (who I believe was good in Schitt's Creek, although I've not seen that) is amazing in the way she constantly flips from sitcom to drama depending on the scene.

It's worth a watch. If you can swallow the central conceit of the show then I think it's very good.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:23 pm

I haven't seen this and wondering if anyone has and if it was worth the effort? For all Mankind. Sounds pretty interesting, set in an alternative 1960's where the Soviets have put the first man on the Moon and the space race gets a bit spicy. Anyone had a look?

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:57 am

Season 3 of Final Space just appeared on Netflix yesterday :P

Alan

Post by Alan » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:32 pm

Nine Perfect Strangers (prime)

We’re really liking this. 9 people with various traumas in their past are invited to Nicole Kidman’s health retreat and things get a bit kooky. Good cast, all pretty great in their roles, it’s funny at times and very well made. So far I’d recommend it.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:28 pm

Squid Game
South Korean show on Netflix about a down on his luck dip shit that gets roped into a survival game. Bit slow to start but loving it so far.