Achtung Englander

Re: Xbox & Microsoft News/Discussion

Post by Achtung Englander » Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:06 pm

GamePass keeps on delivering
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:15 pm

Didnt Gorogoa and Outer Wilds just leave Gamepass a few months ago?
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:44 pm

Outer Worlds did, I don't recall Outer Wilds having been on there before. Not sure about Gorogoa.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:45 pm

Outer Wilds left back in the summer, not sure about Gorogoa.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:11 pm

Uhhhh Spelunky 2, was hoping that would be added soon. Looking forward to Mass Effect as well.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:33 pm

I don't really get the interest in Goldeneye as a modern re-release. It's been presented as exciting news since the 360 era. It was good for the time because you didn't really have shooters on consoles prior, and it made for a good split-screen multiplayer game... but it's *not* a good game by modern standards.

Alan

Post by Alan » Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:02 am

It was always crap it’s just Stockholm syndrome of growing to love the thing you’re stuck with.

Also uplay whatever is coming to Xbox if you want to pay the cost of gamepass again for just Ubi titles.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:04 am

Alan wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:02 am
It was always crap it’s just Stockholm syndrome of growing to love the thing you’re stuck with.

Also uplay whatever is coming to Xbox if you want to pay the cost of gamepass again for just Ubi titles.
eVol with the terrible opinions today. ;) It is certainly a game that hasn't aged well due to the contros.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:42 am

Somebody remade the entire game using the Far Cry 5 level editor recently, apparently it's pretty good. I've never played the original Goldeneye and imagine it's aged like an old sock. But I'll give it a go out of curiosity then probably uninstall once the frustration of trying to control it kicks in.

Alan

Post by Alan » Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:21 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:04 am
Alan wrote:

eVol with the terrible opinions today. ;) It is certainly a game that hasn't aged well due to the contros.
;)

Heres the thing, what were I/we playing in 1997? Dark Forces 2, Shadow Warrior, Duke 3D, Quake 1 (and sadly 2 ¬_¬), Blood.... then Goldeneye shows up and plays like shit, looks like shit but has a robust multiplayer and many a bad game has been fun with multiplayer (like Mario Party). I always remember when my mate first brought it over and it was all quite underwhelming, especially since we had been link cabling Doom before that on PS1. It wasn't even the best 1997 N64 FPS, Doom 64 kicked it arse and still plays quite well today. Keeping on the old classics, the original Perfect Dark also sucked and Time Splitters wasn't much better. I did like PDZ but that was probably because I fell into the 360 multiplayer hole and suffered the same mass delusion that the Goldeneye fans had. :)

So yeah, Goldeneye is the Mario Party of FPS games.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:28 pm

Alan wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:21 pm
DjchunKfunK wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:04 am
Alan wrote:

;)

Heres the thing, what were I/we playing in 1997? Dark Forces 2, Shadow Warrior, Duke 3D, Quake 1 (and sadly 2 ¬_¬), Blood.... then Goldeneye shows up and plays like shit, looks like shit but has a robust multiplayer and many a bad game has been fun with multiplayer (like Mario Party). I always remember when my mate first brought it over and it was all quite underwhelming, especially since we had been link cabling Doom before that on PS1. It wasn't even the best 1997 N64 FPS, Doom 64 kicked it arse and still plays quite well today. Keeping on the old classics, the original Perfect Dark also sucked and Time Splitters wasn't much better. I did like PDZ but that was probably because I fell into the 360 multiplayer hole and suffered the same mass delusion that the Goldeneye fans had. :)

So yeah, Goldeneye is the Mario Party of FPS games.
Disagree that it was bad at the time but I think comparing it to something like Doom 64 which doesn't have free look is wrong and it's not about how it compared to PC FPS games as that was where the genre was most developed. It was revered for what it brought to consoles in much the same way as Halo:CE was four years latter, neither game was at the true pinnacle of the FPS genre but both moved it further along on consoles.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:33 pm

I'd have to agree with Evol. I never liked Goldeneye even in its heyday. When we dug out an N64 and tried playing it again a couple of years ago it was so dire that the group unanimously abandoned it after 15 minutes.

Bringing free look to console shooters doesn't make it a good game. Halo CE was different because it advanced the genre in many ways whilst also being a damn finely made game.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:08 pm

Yeah, I'm largely of the same opinion as Mantis and Alan. I think the concept of Goldeneye being good ended the minute that Halo CE came out four years later, and we realised just how good a console FPS could feel on a dual-analogue controller (there had been dual analogue shooters on the PS1, but I think Halo was the first one that nailed the controls). For what it's worth I really enjoyed Goldeneye deathmatches, but that was more to do with deathmatches being a fun concept in general and it was one I had relatively easy access to (I didn't have an N64, but a friend did and I'd go over to his quite regularly), whilst online or networked PC games were still some years away for me.

Goldeneye was a novelty. Good for the extreme limitations of the hardware that consoles had to deal with in those days, but I really think we ought to leave it as a historical artefact.