Xbox & Microsoft News/Discussion

Console Country!
DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Re: Xbox & Microsoft News/Discussion

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:03 pm

I think the concept of Goldeneye being good ended the minute that Halo CE came out four years later, and we realised just how good a console FPS could feel on a dual-analogue controller
Another game coming out later that is better doesn't suddenly mean Goldeneye was always crap, it laid the groundwork for games like Halo to build on.

I think there is a fair bit of revisionist history that goes on around some games, with Goldeneye being a one of them, were people see what they are now and think that means they must have been bad when they released as well. Not every important game in the history of videogames holds up now, especially those made during huge transitions in gaming as Goldeneye was. Those that do are generally the exception.

But as I said at the start I don't think it is that necessary for it to be playable on modern systems, other than for preservation reasons, it's a piece of software for a time and a place that has long since passed and is better left there.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:29 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:03 pm
Another game coming out later that is better doesn't suddenly mean Goldeneye was always crap, it laid the groundwork for games like Halo to build on.
I didn't say that Goldeneye was always crap, I just said that it should have stopped being considered good when something vastly better came along. I'm not really commenting on the game itself, more this (in my opinion) strange desire to see it re-released that's been around for ten years. Like, I get nostalgia, but people are going to be sorely disappointed trying to play it in 2022. Don't ruin your memories.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:50 pm

Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:29 pm
DjchunKfunK wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:03 pm
I didn't say that Goldeneye was always crap, I just said that it should have stopped being considered good when something vastly better came along. I'm not really commenting on the game itself, more this (in my opinion) strange desire to see it re-released that's been around for ten years. Like, I get nostalgia, but people are going to be sorely disappointed trying to play it in 2022. Don't ruin your memories.
We are not talking as if Halo came out the following year, it's another generation later with controllers with analogue sticks. There is no way a game made at the start of the 3D generation on the first controller to have an analogue stick can compete with that, you are comparing apples to oranges. Games don't exist in a vacuum and judging one game from one generation against another game in a different generation is always tricky, especially when there are huge technological leaps in-between.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:05 pm

Once again, I'm not talking about the game itself, just this nostalgic lust for a re-release. Halo was a step-change in the quality of console FPS games. I remember it being something of a running joke among PC enthusiasts that you couldn't play an FPS with a controller, and that a mouse was the only option, and I'm pretty sure it was Halo that changed that attitude. Halo was the point where 3D console shooters became good. Goldeneye, having been released prior to this point, should therefore not be considered good enough to warrant a modern re-release.

Modern gamers are unlikely to find playing Goldeneye 64 a pleasurable experience. If they updated the controls it would lose a lot of its quirkiness that makes it memorable, and you'd be left with an extremely basic shooter.

Alan

Post by Alan » Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:19 pm

I’m sticking with it was crap, important I’ll concede but still crap. ;)
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:53 pm

Agreed. I don't deny the milestone it was for console shooters, but it still wasn't particularly good even at the time. The aiming was far too janky for it to ever actually be fun.

007 Nightfire is by far the superior Bond game and that was in the Xbox, PS2, Gamecube era.

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:11 am

I realise this is such a variable question and a bit silly to ask, but roughly what's the going rate to repair an Xbox controller?

The left button on mine only works sometimes. Which for some games is fine (I almost never use the Xbox), but I bought Hitman 2 over Christmas and, since it's the run button and I'm fairly poor, I need it. Buying a new pad is out of the question - the game was only £15!

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:27 pm

No idea about repairing them really. My pad has stick drift on the right stick and the A button is temperamental, better to just replace it altogether I think. It's only a year old mind you.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:27 pm

Pretty good start to the month for Game Pass.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:39 pm

Only spent £25 on GotG a few weeks ago ffs -_-

It's really good btw, so no excuse not to play it on GP!

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:59 pm

Yeah, Guardians seems like a pretty big Get for Game Pass.

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:01 pm

After Squares crying about its terrible sales it was probably inevitable.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:09 pm

Doesn't Square Enix basically cry about everything underperforming?

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:10 pm

Thats why theyve all been on gamepass, its win win.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:57 pm

Raid wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:09 pm
Doesn't Square Enix basically cry about everything underperforming?
Yes, next up Babylon's Fall which is out this week.