Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Rusty

Re: Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Post by Rusty » Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:31 am

Raid wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:04 pm
Moon Knight
I think there's been a lot said about Oscar Issac's British accent, and while it leans quite heavily into the slang, I don't think it's nearly as offensive as I was preparing for.
I hang my head in shame but I honestly though Oscar was British. I admit his accent was a little odd but it fitted his character perfectly. When he did an American accent I was impressed enough to mention to my son that not many British people can do good American accents :)

I actually had to IMDB him to check him out. Turns out I couldn't have been further from the truth.

I loved the whole series as a step away from the absolute drivel that Marvel films have become (well, always have been but I'm less tolerant nowadays)
-- To be completed at some point --

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:51 am

WandaVision was fairly good too. I'm super burned out on Marvel stuff at the moment and am slowly growing just generally tired of their none stop production pipeline of samey material. But I wanted to watch Dr Strange 2 and I heard that it made more sense if you watched the tv show first.

Definitely one of the stronger things I've seen lately just because it was a bit different for a change.

Dr Strange 2 was not so good. Just more dodgy exposition delivered at rapid pace to make more time for CGI snoozefest fights where all the actors are actually doing are waving their hands at each other and pulling funny faces.

I'm also not keen on the need to watch their tv shows in order to stay in the loop with the continuity of the overall world story.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:20 pm

Raid wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:04 pm
Moon Knight

This surprised me a little.
This surprised me a lot. I was completely oblivious to the existence of the show before then, but more than that I sat here saying "Moon Knight? Moon Knight? Why can I visualise that character?". Then it came back to me, I used to own a Moon Knight comic or comics absolute yonks ago, probably when I was 10 years old I am guessing. Loved it, read it till the ink came off. Not thought or heard of that character for 40+ years. Gotta watch it now, right? Set sail for the seven seas...
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:32 pm

You're not a fan of MCU stuff as a general rule, are you Ian? It's probably worth trying if you know the character, but I doubt it'll change your opinion.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:44 am

Not massively. It isn't the subject matter, more the approach. I grew up devouring Batman, X-Men, Daredevil, Spiderman, 2000AD etc and know I have it in me to enjoy the genre, but I have struggled with the actual series on celluloid. One problem is that I never read The Avengers, and Captain America left me cold (ooh you have a shield, go you, now where did I put those real superhero comics again?). I also just didn't think the main story arc was any good, I always hated godlike aliens as bad guys.

TV series-wise I liked the original Daredevil show, and Jessica Jones and Luke Cage weren't bad, but the rest were sodding awful, Iron Fist in particular.

I will try it and see, it is worth a look just for that flash of memory and nostalgia that yesterday's post engendered.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:06 pm

Animalmother wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:45 pm
Started season 3 of The Orville. It feels like most of the silliness has been dropped and it's taking itself a wee bit too serious now. It's still a good show but I want more of Bortus growing a mustache and discovering smoking.
Just watched ep.8, 'twas ok but
Spoiler
Dear God - Dolly Parton! Just why? With all the "work" she's had done she looked more cgi than most of the aliens :lol:
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:55 pm

The musical stuff actually really gets on my tits. I know McFarlane is into that but I'm not.
Spoiler
They bring alien space Nazis to a production of Annie!

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:59 pm

Been watching Gomorrah - currently got up to the penultimate episode of Season 3.

It's good if you like violence and no pattern whatsoever to character arcs; not worth getting attached to any characters at all. I'm concerned it's going to get a bit samey, but I think the first season in particular was excellent. I'm not a buff by any stretch of the imagination, but I thought the way they wrapped minor charcter's stories around an episode of the main story was very good, following the minor character's perspective almost. Worth watching.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:32 pm

I stuck through to the end. After they had covered the content of the book, the actor who plays Ciro takes on directing and they move to S3 it definitely went downhill, although I must say I still really enjoyed it (there were some very silly moments, but still).
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:02 pm

Snowy wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:32 pm
I stuck through to the end. After they had covered the content of the book, the actor who plays Ciro takes on directing and they move to S3 it definitely went downhill, although I must say I still really enjoyed it (there were some very silly moments, but still).
Have you read the book(s?)?

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:09 am

I own it but have not read it yet - it is in the pile and the next on my list.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:41 am

Snowy wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:09 am
I own it but have not read it yet - it is in the pile and the next on my list.
Just watched the final episode of Season 3.
Spoiler
I’m not really sure whether to keep watching. I’ve enjoyed the first 3, but Ciro was the show after Pietro’s death. As enjoyable as I’ve found it, there’s basically only three characters that have ever had depth.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:08 pm

loved Gomorrah. Every season was slightly worse than the one preceeding it but even series 5 was excellent. Like all shows it became deritive. It should have ended at 4.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:09 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:08 pm
loved Gomorrah. Every season was slightly worse than the one preceeding it but even series 5 was excellent. Like all shows it became deritive. It should have ended at 4.
First two are excellent, no doubt. Dropped a bit in the third but still good. Watched the first few of four earlier and enjoyed them but there’s part of me that doesn’t really care about it or anybody anymore.

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:15 pm

Lets see....

Discovery S4
It was better than 3. I think 2 was probably a smidge better but its hanging around that level of shite. It starts with a black hole destroying a planet and Michael does a speech about how this is the most destructive threat they have ever faced. I guess a blackhole destroying a planet is more destructive that an AI ending all life in the universe, losing a drawn out war with the Klingons and... whatever happened in season 3, I've literally forgot what the plot of that was. This season is kind of like someone watched Arrival (the new one, not the bendy back knees one) and thought that was something they could adapt into Trek. It has a few ok moments, it has a lot of shit. It also didnt have Michelle Yeoh chewing up the scenery sadly.

Stranger Things 4
Amazing production values, decent story, good characters. It has all the components to something I would love but I only just quite liked it. I cant put my finger on why I dont love it. I feel they really overuse the "all hope is lost" - oh wait.... "by the power of friendship we shall prevail!" which they do effectively but they've done it 10 times in this season alone so it kind of gets old. I'm moderately looking forward to 5 and I will certainly watch it but I'm not craving it. I think I like it about as much as I like Walking Dead *ducks and covers*

Boys S3
Kind of the same as Stranger Things. I absolutely love all the components. I love over the top gore, Homelander is excellent, its funny, its fairly well thought out and I do really like it but there's just something intangible that holds it back from me really loving it. I do like it better than Stranger Things and Walking Dead though btw ¬_¬

Russian Doll S2
I enjoyed S1 but never felt it needed a sequel. Still think that way. This time shes doing a Last Night In Soho and jumping back in time rather than a Groundhog Day and while its still entertaining watching Natasha Lyonne wander around being a curmudgeon the rest isnt very well thought out and lands quite flat.

James May: Our Man In Italy
A lot of interesting stuff but it would have been quite a lot better if it wasn't James May. I like him in moderation but by heck he grates when its all about him.

Think we're going to give Severance a go next. :-k
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.