Return to Monkey Island

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Raid
Local

Return to Monkey Island

Post by Raid » Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:10 am

Out September 19th. Can't say I'm that enthused by the announcement trailer (really, you're going to riff on a DLC joke from about 15 years ago?), so I'll probably wait for reviews just to make sure the humour is actually still there, but I'm quite keen on picking this up.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: Return to Monkey Island

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:01 am

I have no doubt I'll play it at some point, but it's the sort of thing I doubt I'll buy at the launch price, unless it's quite reasonable.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:07 am

It's just under £20 on Steam. Obviously reasonable does depend on the game's length, another reason to wait for the reviews. It does seem to have been announced and released unusually quickly, which hopefully is more to do with the Devs not liking the years-long release schedules most games follow these days, rather than it being a short rush job.

It happens to release during my fortnight's holiday so it's perfect timing for me. I really want this to be good.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:15 am

That's not too bad actually :-k

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:22 pm

It's extremely rare that I buy games on release these days, but I played a little of the original Secret of Monkey Island a few weeks ago and a couple of the pieces of music (mostly the Scumm Bar theme) have been going around in my head since and I guess this is maybe a way of excising them? Anyway, it's brimming with charm and wit, and the presentation is impeccable if you can appreciate the art style, which doesn't exactly go out of its way in the opening few minutes to endear you to it (it's entirely intentional and appropriate given the context). As soon as you load the game up, the main menu directs you to a little scrapbook containing memories from all of the previous games in the series, allowing you to catch up, which is such a charming way of catching up if, like me, you haven't played much of the series. The game is constantly giving you little reminders from previous games (well, I'm assuming they're reminders anyway), and I reckon long-time fans will probably get a kick out of them. Melee Island is *exactly* as you'll remember it too, obviously updated with the new art style, but everything is in the right place.

I've not come across a great deal of complicated puzzling so far, although I have used the excellent hints system once just to point me in the right direction. You have to keep asking for hints on a particular topic, and they get increasingly less subtle as you continue, which lets you easily get a gentle nudge towards the answer without giving you the whole solution, which is perfect for what I want.

At least in the first couple of hours, this feels pretty much exactly what people will want from a new Monkey Island game.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:14 pm

Yeah, it's great. It's nice to see that it's sitting at 'overwhelmingly positive' as well on Steam after the forums leading up to release were being bombarded by people complaining about the art style. Looks like it was just a (very) vocal minority.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:10 pm

I've been watching your playthrough, and I've quite liked how the dialogue options change depending on what you've already seen and done. I didn't go to see LeChuck's ship until after I'd toured the entire island, and you had a few extra dialogue options compared to me. It also made things a little more open for you, as you don't see the two people returning from a meeting until you've been to the dock, so they were shut when I visited.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:36 pm

Interesting, that's a nice touch!

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:44 pm

Very much enjoying it so far, and the art style does actually suit it nicely. My one regret is stupidly going straight for the correct solution to:
Spoiler
the apology frog. I'd like to think there is choice trolling potential with that. :lol:

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:34 pm

The line between wanting to feel clever for getting the right approach first time and doing what you think will be funniest is a fine one to tread.

I did note watching Sly's play through that we usually choose the same dialogue options.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:13 pm

Raid wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:34 pm
The line between wanting to feel clever for getting the right approach first time and doing what you think will be funniest is a fine one to tread.

I did note watching Sly's play through that we usually choose the same dialogue options.
I usually try to pick the jokiest option available :lol:

I didn't think about the part WB suggested though :(