Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Tommy

Re: Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Post by Tommy » Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:44 am

Nothing revolutionary in the post:

Only Fools and Horses

Some pretty questionable language used at times, but otherwise I've really enjoyed watching them through after about ten years.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:20 am

Only Fools and Horses is that one show that I'll always stop to watch if channel hopping. Still somehow manage to find the odd episode I've never seen before.

Moon Knight , heard it was good but wasn't really bothered looking at it. Turns out it's very enjoyable and Oscar Issacs is pretty great jumping from one persona to the other. The action is nothing to talk about so far but the comedic side is very good.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:10 pm

Better Call Saul 1-6

I rewatched season 5 before heading into 6 (as a refresher). I stopped at episode 9 when we the series focuses on Jimmy in hiding and resolving that storyline because I headed back into season 1 of Breaking Bad. When I finish BB I head conclude Jimmy's story.

My god - this entire universe is perhaps the only TV show that I have seen when the prequel was kept completely consistent with the main show. For example in the very first episode of Breaking Bad we get to see Crazy 8, after we know what becomes of him in Better Call Saul, and it makes entire sense.
Spoiler
He becomes a DEA informer

Just watching that first episode of BB made me appreciate that Vince Gilligan is a masterful producer way above the standard Hollywood fare. This is his universe and he knows and understands it perfectly. I do not know whether 6 seasons of BCS was planned but the timing is imaculate. There was some padding but in terms of character development and how things got from A to Z, this is heads and shoulders above anything I have watched before.

One day I will rewatch BCS and BB from start to finish and it will be like drinking the finest wine.

I have heard The Wire is one of the best TV shows made, I still have yet to see it, but for me the BB universe, as a whole, is the best TV I have watched.Obviously you have to get over the fact everyone in BCS looks older than their characters in BB, and it does feel a little jarring, but putting that reality aside, BCS is as damn perfect as you could hope for.

10/10
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:57 pm

It really is.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 π–‹π–Šπ–†π–— π•Ώπ–π–Š π•½π–Šπ–†π–•π–Šπ–—

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:56 am

Achtung Englander wrote: ↑
Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:10 pm
I have heard The Wire is one of the best TV shows made, I still have yet to see it, but for me the BB universe, as a whole, is the best TV I have watched.Obviously you have to get over the fact everyone in BCS looks older than their characters in BB, and it does feel a little jarring, but putting that reality aside, BCS is as damn perfect as you could hope for.
The Wire is perfection as well. Look forward to watching it the second you finish BCS (I am onto the last three B&W episodes of S6 myself).
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:10 am

I watched season 1 of The Wire and bounced off it completely. I just didn't find anything about it engaging or interesting, but then I'm not a fan of police dramas in general.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:17 am

For me, it hit its stride in S3 + 4.

S5 is weak, and the first 2 seasons I could see being a tad impenetrable for some. The subject matter can all be a bit depressing at times - I've never actually rewatched the show, despite its quality.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:29 am

I actually really enjoyed S2, once I got over the fact it featured an almost entirely different set of characters.

Maybe it's a bit marmite as a show, I loved it from the start, my wife thought it was trash :lol:

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:41 am

I thought it was better than The Bill but no as good as Collumbo. It was alright.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:07 am

There is an interesting Netflix documentary show called Captains. It follows numerous Football country captains on their way to the World Cup 22
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:01 pm

I'm trying to avoid having anything to do with this World Cup, as a (very minor) protest against all the human rights violations that went into its organisation and construction.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:20 pm

Avenue 5
Set on a spaceship luxury liner with Hugh Laurie as the captain. I never knew this existed until yesterday and it's got 2 seasons. Not watched much but it seems to be pretty good so far, cringe comedy in space is probably the best description. Starship Titanic was an influenced maybe.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:11 pm

Wrathbone wrote: ↑
Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:10 am
I watched season 1 of The Wire and bounced off it completely. I just didn't find anything about it engaging or interesting, but then I'm not a fan of police dramas in general.
I tend to feel the same way (my wife loves them) but The Wire just worked for me. It takes some work too, I will say - you have to get an ear for the Baltimore accent especially that of the black drug gangs, and even then some characters (Snoop for example) are almost incomprehensible at times. The interplay between the characters though, and the way the story takes you deeper and deeper each season as you 'follow the money', for me there is just nothing like it.

And as a police drama (which it becomes more than over time), it is not like any others. No flashes of inspiration, no car chases, just detective work as it would have been - everything about it feels authentic up to Season 5, where they stretch credulity a little with the McNulty storyline.

Absolutely brilliant show, I will start watching it again soon, been a year or two since I last did.

EDIT: Also it has Omar Little in it, one of the best characters in any show ever, RIP Michael K Williams
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:10 pm

Animalmother wrote: ↑
Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:20 pm
Avenue 5
Set on a spaceship luxury liner with Hugh Laurie as the captain. I never knew this existed until yesterday and it's got 2 seasons. Not watched much but it seems to be pretty good so far, cringe comedy in space is probably the best description. Starship Titanic was an influenced maybe.
Started watching it. Got 3 episodes in and couldn't watch any more. Not one likeable/relatable character. Everyone's an idiot. I thought I loved Armando Iannucci. Obviously not :)
-- To be completed at some point --

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:01 pm

I didn't know it was from Armando Iannucci, suppose he can't always make gold. I've only seen 2 episodes so maybe the 3rd will also be the end of it for me. I thought the engineer character (Billie?) was likeable.