Tech assistance required!

Error 304, turn it on and off again.
Tommy
Posts: 352
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:46 pm

Re: Tech assistance required!

Post by Tommy » Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:32 pm

eny wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:13 pm
Do you have 2 strips? If so, remove one and test, then swap to see if both have gone...check the channel orientation for your mobo, as to which slot to use just one in. RAM posts before GFX so if it is faulty memory you wouldn't get video.
But would I get lights on my keyboard and mouse?

I only have one strip, so I’m probably just going to buy one.

User avatar
Raid
Local
Posts: 4745
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:07 am
Location: Keep of the Lead Lord

Re: Tech assistance required!

Post by Raid » Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:05 pm

Just make sure it's been re-seated properly if you've tried removing it.

Tommy
Posts: 352
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:46 pm

Re: Tech assistance required!

Post by Tommy » Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:30 pm

I am posting from my (previously bricked) PC!

I'm unsure what the problem was really. I unplugged everything again and replugged everything in, and it seems to have regained life.

Hopefully it stands the test of use...Assuming that it was something to do with the RAM, why would RAM suddenly need reseating?

Thanks for all the help people - I really appreciate it (it nearly met its end from a first floor window).

User avatar
Snowy
Posts: 2443
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:57 am
Location: Ballhang

Re: Tech assistance required!

Post by Snowy » Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:53 pm

Tommy wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:30 pm
Hopefully it stands the test of use...Assuming that it was something to do with the RAM, why would RAM suddenly need reseating?
Heat expansion used to be the reason. As the PC heats and cools during use and downtime, the RAM can incrementally creep out of the correct alignment. Most mobos have clips to hold them in place these days though which makes it more unlikely.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

User avatar
Wrathbone
Local
Posts: 3554
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:08 am

Re: Tech assistance required!

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:22 pm

Were the sticks re-seated in the same slots as before? I had an issue earlier this year with an old PC refurb where it was randomly crashing, and it ended with one of the RAM slots bursting into flame. I think it was the DDR controller at fault, though.

Tommy
Posts: 352
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:46 pm

Re: Tech assistance required!

Post by Tommy » Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:00 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:22 pm
Were the sticks re-seated in the same slots as before? I had an issue earlier this year with an old PC refurb where it was randomly crashing, and it ended with one of the RAM slots bursting into flame. I think it was the DDR controller at fault, though.
It’s reseated in the same one.

I think I’ll just accept it’s fixed until it breaks again. I think I’ll buy a second stick for the other slot and should it happen again, there’s a hopefully ready made solution!

Tommy
Posts: 352
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:46 pm

Re: Tech assistance required!

Post by Tommy » Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:00 pm

Snowy wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:53 pm
Tommy wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:30 pm
Hopefully it stands the test of use...Assuming that it was something to do with the RAM, why would RAM suddenly need reseating?
Heat expansion used to be the reason. As the PC heats and cools during use and downtime, the RAM can incrementally creep out of the correct alignment. Most mobos have clips to hold them in place these days though which makes it more unlikely.
Yeah this is clips. I didn’t realise that was a newer (relatively) thing. Every motherboard I think I’ve ever touched had clips!

User avatar
DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff
Posts: 2166
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:02 am

Re: Tech assistance required!

Post by DjchunKfunK » Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:20 pm

Tommy wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:30 pm
I am posting from my (previously bricked) PC!

I'm unsure what the problem was really. I unplugged everything again and replugged everything in, and it seems to have regained life.

Hopefully it stands the test of use...Assuming that it was something to do with the RAM, why would RAM suddenly need reseating?

Thanks for all the help people - I really appreciate it (it nearly met its end from a first floor window).
Worth running a memory test just to check the RAM is all OK.

Post Reply