Dragon Age 4: The Veilguard - out October 31st

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Dragon Age 4: The Veilguard - out October 31st

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Aug 15, 2024 9:30 am

Did we not already have a thread for this? Feels about right given the collective apathy for the release :lol:

Anyway, it's due out on Halloween:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/oops-t ... ours-early

Wrathbone
Local

Re: Dragon Age 4: The Purpleguard

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Aug 15, 2024 10:03 am

I get why a lot of people are dubious over another Dragon Age game, but I'm full beans ready for it. :D

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Thu Aug 15, 2024 10:13 am

Purpleguard sounds like s brand of hemorrhoid cream or sex toy lube.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Aug 15, 2024 10:17 am

Animalmother wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2024 10:13 am
Purpleguard sounds like s brand of hemorrhoid cream or sex toy lube.
So it's either arse or fucking good? Sounds about right :lol:

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Aug 15, 2024 10:18 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2024 10:03 am
I get why a lot of people are dubious over another Dragon Age game, but I'm full beans ready for it. :D
Will definitely look forward to your thoughts on it, have to say what I've seen so far of the combat is probably what I find most underwhelming, but if it's fun I'll probably get it.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Re: Dragon Age 4: The Purpleguard - out October 31st

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu Aug 15, 2024 2:55 pm

I'll probably get to it at some point but the combat looks boring and not my cup of tea and at this point I don't trust Bioware to tell a good story to make up for it. The emphasis some of the PR has been putting on relationships doesn't fill me with much confidence either.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu Aug 15, 2024 6:29 pm

Looks OK, shame about the combat.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:56 pm

Interesting vid:

Basically, Andy Farrant, a self-confessed DA casual, got his hands on the game for around 6 hours of play and enjoyed it, and talks about some of the changes to the series to DA-diehard Jane to gauge her reaction. I think she was largely positive about the differences.

I've seen a few positive reports coming out of this media hands-on session and I think my concerns are largely assuaged at this stage. Probably the thing that did that the most was Andy comparing stuff to Mass Effect. And I get that will totally put a lot of people's noses out of joint, but here's the thing: I absolutely adore the ME series, and if the maps, missions structure and combat mechanics are similar to ME, for me at least that sounds good. Frankly, the open world maps (particularly the Hinterlands) and combat were probably the two worst things about Inquisition (I still maintain rogue was a fun class to play in DAI, but mage and especially warrior were unbelievably tedious), so if they've scaled back the former and made the latter more interesting I'm up for that.

Only about 6 weeks to go... will probably buy day one, unless it's outrageously expensive.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Sep 20, 2024 5:46 am

I saw Eurogamer comparing the game structure to Mass Effect 2, which to me is a very exciting prospect. It’s not actually that different in structure to Dragon Age: Origins, really. Honestly, I’m invested in the story of DA rather than the game side of it - the combat wasn’t great in 2 or 3 and I’m not all that fussed what it’s like in Veilguard so long as you get an interesting party to interact with and the secrets of Thedas are unravelled some more.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: Dragon Age 4: The Veilguard - out October 31st

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:47 am

Probably this will be a bad idea, but the upcoming release of this has put me in the mood for a replay of Inquisition - something I've not done since 2019 apparently, looking at my EA account. I was playing DA2 recently but burned out a bit somewhere in the second act, but I really want to familiarise myself with the lore and story heading into Veilguard...

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:59 am

If you didn't play the Trespasser DLC before... play Trespasser. Hard to believe it wasn't part of the base game, given how fundamentally important it is to everything in Dragon Age.

The Descent DLC may become important too, but I don't think will be quite as big a deal.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:03 am

Pretty sure my last playthrough was with all the DLC, but like so much else about Inquisition I've basically forgotten everything about them :lol:

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:56 am

Just realised I've never played as a Qunari, and now I'm hurtling dangerously close to a replay myself.

Not sure how reactive the game would be to me RPing as a Qun zealot, but I remember playing as a surly dwarf and being impressed at how often the world was horrified that I'd been allowed to command one of the most powerful factions in the world. :lol: My decisions frequently resulted in eye-swivelling distress from Solas.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:13 am

:lol:

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:50 am

Sly Boots wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:47 am
Probably this will be a bad idea, but the upcoming release of this has put me in the mood for a replay of Inquisition - something I've not done since 2019 apparently, looking at my EA account. I was playing DA2 recently but burned out a bit somewhere in the second act, but I really want to familiarise myself with the lore and story heading into Veilguard...
That is a bad idea.