I Just Watched (Films)

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Animalmother
Local

Re: I Just Watched (Films)

Post by Animalmother » Fri Oct 11, 2024 12:16 pm

Blink Twice
Really enjoyed that. A couple of girls end up blagging their way into a billionaires private island and shit isn't what it seems. Kind of meanders through the first while but that's all part of it. As Alan said I didn't like the last couple of minutes either, but apart from that it's worth a watch. First time I've seen Geena Davis in anything for a long time.

Was going to watch Borderlands but even the dodgy sites have taken it down :lol:

Alan

Post by Alan » Fri Oct 11, 2024 3:03 pm

A young me has such a thing for Gina in The Long Kiss Goodnight being a badass with her bleached hair. Now she’s 68 and still looking great!

Bringing Up Baby
Genuinely really funny. I put off watching it on my Cary Grant trip because I don’t like babies and I don’t much care for Katherine Hepburn. Turns out the baby in the title is a leopard and Hepburns overzealous line delivery works perfect here! Loads of laughs and it has Asta, the adorable dog from the Thin Man movies in it. Wins!
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri Oct 11, 2024 3:38 pm

When your saying The Thin Man I keep thinking of that fucker from Phantasm, who is actually The Tall Man. It's all very confusing anyway.

ManBearSquid

Post by ManBearSquid » Sun Oct 13, 2024 8:19 pm

The Substance

That. Was. Fucking. Wild.

I enjoyed it. Not for squeamish folk.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Mon Oct 14, 2024 6:39 am

I've been trying to steel myself to watch this. Body horror isn't my thing but... peer pressure and all that.
-- To be completed at some point --

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Oct 14, 2024 1:01 pm

I’m off work with covid, so I decided I may as well use the time to finally endure Madame Web and see what the fuss is about. In short, working would have been preferable.

This is the second worst Marvel film I’ve seen, with The Eternals being the absolute worst (mainly because it’s longer). Even the rightfully-buried, pre-MCU disaster that was Elektra was better. The writing and acting are at the level of a high school talent show skit, minus the talent. Dakota Johnson is dead behind the eyes, impossible to root for - I’ve seen sock puppets with more personality. The first half consists almost entirely of her having pre-cognitive visions and being confused about it in a variety of situations, like someone’s baby shower or a catastrophe at the docks. On a side note, I missed how she knows the pregnant woman or the relevance, but they keep coming back to her as though she’s somehow part of the story, when she’s not at all.

Anyway, eventually a doctor tells DJ to watch some old movies to fix it, so she watches A Christmas Carol (despite it not being Christmas time at any other point of the story) so she can scoff at Scrooge suggesting that his visions are only things that may be, not will be. Then immediately she has a vision of a pigeon hitting her window and she prevents its death by opening the window. Superpower established, it’s time to… spend more time being confused while kidnapping three teenagers, convincing them they’re in mortal danger, then abandoning them to said peril, only to return in the nick of time and berate them for being in peril.

I spaced out for the final third, which is a dreary CGI mess, and I lost track of what the deal is with the villain. He’s bad and something something spiders? If anything, his performance is worse than DJ’s - which is an impressive feat - with line deliveries that barely register as human. There’s a truly terrible scene early on where he’s in a bed with a character called Beautiful Woman (I checked), making insipid pleasantries, then without skipping a beat or changing tone he starts talking about jungle spiders and an NSA conspiracy. Because - would you believe it - Beautiful Woman works for the NSA! :lol: Incidentally, the NSA password he tortures out of her is only 8 characters long, which was the most entertaining moment of the film.

3/10

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Oct 14, 2024 1:18 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2024 1:01 pm
Incidentally, the NSA password he tortures out of her is only 8 characters long, which was the most entertaining moment of the film.
Did it have at least one number and one special character? I feel like this is probably more important than the plot given the rest of the review.

It's funny how Sony have published both the best and the worst Spiderman films. The first Venom film was exceedingly average, the second was worse, Morbius and Madame Web are both train wrecks (I've not seen the latter, but I haven't seen any dissenting reviews), and then the Spiderverse films are the superhero-genre's very best. Can they not just get the writers of their various studios in the same room?

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Oct 14, 2024 1:36 pm

Raid wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2024 1:18 pm
Wrathbone wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2024 1:01 pm
Incidentally, the NSA password he tortures out of her is only 8 characters long, which was the most entertaining moment of the film.
Did it have at least one number and one special character? I feel like this is probably more important than the plot given the rest of the review.
Numbers and letters (all lowercase, I assume as she never specified otherwise) and no special characters. Shambles.

If I was being extremely generous, the film is set in 2003, so perhaps it was subtle commentary on how password standards have changed in the last 21 years. Or maybe Sony’s writers are incredibly easy to hack.

Alan

Post by Alan » Thu Oct 17, 2024 12:47 pm

Deadpool & Wolverine
Laughed my arse off all the way through. Didn't look at my watch once and could have happily watched another hour, massive achievement for a Marvel joint. The story is utter Marvel dogshit that's not even worth thinking about but it doesn't matter when the moment to moment parts are just so damn great! Might be the best thing Marvel have done, definitely the best in a long long time.

Speak No Evil
We just randomly picked it to go see because McAvoy was in it and he's always entertaining. I didn't expect much because I kind of assumed it was a demonic possession thing from the title but its not. Two couples meet in Italy and hit it off. The Londoner couple are invited to stay for a weekend at the other couples Devon farmhouse. Things get a bit weird. Naturally its another film McAvoy carries and makes it a really good watch. Very pleasantly surprised.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.