Steam, Deals & More.
Wrathbone
Local

Re: General Gaming News

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Oct 17, 2024 7:32 am

Sly Boots wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2024 7:25 am
Quite a lot of Steam reviews citing poor performance
My immediate thought reading that was "I bet it's using UE5", so I googled it. It's using UE5. Seems like every game running on it has performance issues or stutter for at least a few months until the devs address it. If it was just a case of devs getting to grips with the engine, I'd have thought they'd be comfortable with it by now.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Oct 17, 2024 7:42 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2024 7:32 am
Sly Boots wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2024 7:25 am
Quite a lot of Steam reviews citing poor performance
My immediate thought reading that was "I bet it's using UE5", so I googled it. It's using UE5. Seems like every game running on it has performance issues or stutter for at least a few months until the devs address it. If it was just a case of devs getting to grips with the engine, I'd have thought they'd be comfortable with it by now.
I'm not the least bit technically minded, so I had a quick google and it looks like people have been complaining about Unreal engine performance for years, or at least since UE4 lol. People saying it's something to do with the way shaders are compiled?

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Oct 17, 2024 8:28 am

I can't pretend to know the technical side of it, but I've also heard shaders as being the culprit for stuttering. Some quick reading up suggests there is also a skill issue in the sense that UE4 and UE5 work great if you know how to get the best out of them, but can easily result in poor performance if you don't organise assets properly, or just throw a bunch of 4k textures at the engine. So maybe studios are hiring a bunch of cheap, inexperienced devs who can make things look pretty but have no clue what will cause the engine to chug, and then the experienced devs come in later to tidy everything up.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Thu Oct 17, 2024 9:44 am

I gave it an extremely quick go on the Xbox earlier. Seems to run fine and looks nice. The character models look weird though, are they supposed to be clones or did they just use the same face 5 times? There's also a lot of clutter on the screen, I wonder if there's a way to remove some of the HUD icons.

Will try a bit more later and see how it goes. I've practically no experience with MechWarrior. I tried Mercenaries a while back but got bored of that very quickly.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Oct 17, 2024 12:05 pm

Clanners are genetically engineered descendants of the Inner Sphere's main military force, which fled to pastures new rather than be co-opted into another destructive war (see, I have been paying attention!). It's apparently appropriate that they all look a little messed up.

I was expecting a few performance issues just because it's UE5. Mercenaries was based on more mature UE4 tech so I'm not surprised if there's a few teething problems. The big downside to it is that it probably won't be useable in VR for a while.