Switch & Nintendo News/Discussion

Console Country!
Mantis
Landlord

Switch & Nintendo News/Discussion

Post by Mantis » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:15 pm

In place of the old Switch thread. In the same vein as the new Sony/Microsoft threads, can we get separate threads going for individual titles.

Cheers!

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Re: Switch & Nintendo News/Discussion

Post by Medicine Man » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:47 am

Nintendo Switch Online coming in the second half of September...

Oooooh look at that sweet Twitter integration. The future is now. :D

Pew-Pew

Post by Pew-Pew » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:48 am

Really hate the fact that they're going the PS/XB route of charging for playing games online. I know they've said this all along but it still stings. >_< I was interested in Splatoon 2, and this puts me off.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:50 am

Someone told me a while back that it's only going to be about £3 a month, which isn't too awful.

Not that keen on starting to pay for a service where I don't care about any of the extras though. I liked playing Mario Kart online for free and that's literally all I use my Switch online for, I couldn't care less about free NES games.

(And yeah, that Twitter integration is sexy)

Pew-Pew

Post by Pew-Pew » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:51 am

If they started supporting a virtual console that allows us to play N64 or even GC games (which I never played much of, as I didn't have one), I'd probably be more tempted to pay for it. Like you said, it's not that expensive. Just playing online though... Spoiled by PC. What other games do you have, Mantits?

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:57 am

Just Octopath, Zelda and Mario versus Rabbids at the minute. I've been trying to finish things before I go on spending sprees picking up new titles.

Zelda was my first game for it and I haven't finished it yet. -_-

Pew-Pew

Post by Pew-Pew » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:01 pm

Wait... you've not got Mario Odyssey? Get on that shit m8.

I've not finished Zelda either. I think I am a bit tired of it - it gets a bit repetitive once you've spent a while exploring and finding lots of shrines. I love the mechanisms in the game, it could just do with some more interesting stuff to do.

Is Octopath any good? The only JRPG I've really played is Pokemon. Not a fan of grinding a lot.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:12 pm

Not a fan of grinding a lot.
I'd probably avoid Octopath then.

I'm not too bothered about the cost of online as I don't play anything online so it wont be a miss. If the game service that comes with it is any good I'd possibly sub for that, but they are still being really vague about what that entails which is dumb as it's around a month from release.

I've had to restrain myself from picking up a load of indy titles that work really well on the Switch, like Dead Cells, Hollow Knight etc. Ended up just grabbing Hand of Fate 2 which is fun so far, but I've not played much.

Should be getting Sonic Mania and Captain Toad for my birthday at the end of the month. Looking forward to playing those two.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:05 am

I haven't really done any grinding in Octopath but it's pretty much a given that you'll have to do a bit at some point if you want to do everything the game has to offer. It is a fantastic little game though, very nostalgic whilst also spicing up certain mechanics to make for a very fresh and interesting experience. As a diehard JRPG fan it really strikes all the right chords for me.

Pew-Pew

Post by Pew-Pew » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:45 am

I mean I don't mind a bit of grinding, but a lot is just wasting your time, really. I might give the demo a go.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:44 am

My only real exposure to JRPGs is a handful of Final Fantasy games and yet Octopath Traveller is working really well for me. It's charming as hell. I've just started some of the chapter 2 stories and I've had to do a small amount of grinding to reach appropriate levels, but it's not that bad. It helps that the combat is fun and at times quite challenging.

I'd highly recommend the demo - you get three hours, can start with any of the eight characters and saves carry over to the main game. I was sold well before the 3 hour limit hit.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:37 pm

If you're going to play the demo I'd recommend either starting as Primrose or Olberic. Prim has the most unique and interesting, if rather dark, story out of all the characters and is probably the least conventional character. Olberic is a pretty traditional introduction with plenty of combat to show off the new system, he's also very solid as a main party member and has some hilariously epic lines. You have to question exactly how heroic you are when you leave a trail of unconscious townsfolk in your wake after Olberic has challenged them all to duel's. :lol:

I specced my Olberic as a secondary class Dancer for a while just to learn the passives and never really got tired of him bellowing "THE PEACOCK STRUT!" at people during battles. I love the little details in this game like how they took the time to record all the ability voice lines with each character even though realistically you're never going to use most of them as secondary classes.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:26 am

I feel like a terrible person for challenging so many random villagers with Olberic's ability. Like he'll crumple some old granny with a single strike in a 'fair' duel, then she'll be cowering semi-conscious on the ground going "Thankee kindly, noble sir!" while Olberic struts off to give an honourable concussion to the next child he finds.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:37 am

That's exactly why he's so brilliant. I picked Therion as my main, so our usual activities in any new town is to rob everyone blind and then beat them all unconscious.

He sort of reminds me of how South Park portrays Russell Crowe where he goes "fightin' round the world", or that Tom and Jerry episode where they're musketeers and Tom is constantly jumping out and shouting "En garde!".

Olberic is definitely my favourite character. Within five minutes of starting his questline there is a woman in town who's first reaction is "Oh wow, what a big strong man. You know... my son could do with a father figure since I lost my husband" and Olberic is just like " :-s ".

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:56 am

He really is brilliant. I can't tell if he's intended to be taken completely seriously or whether he's purposefully so overblown as to be funny. I think I may have crossed a line when he beat the crap out of an orphanage custodian though. :lol: To be fair, she put up a decent fight and there was precious treasure in that orphanage that I needed. For honour!

My main character is Cyrus, who is also a bit overblown in a wonderfully melodramatic way. He's kind of like if Sherlock Holmes was a wizard and also a teacher. The only character who I've not taken to so far is H'aanit, but that's mostly because the forced olde waye of talkingeth that baren no resembleth to Olde or Middle English doth graten so.