Remand and ReConquer?

Steam, Deals & More.
Alan

Remand and ReConquer?

Post by Alan » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:01 am

EA are teasing possible C&C remasters. They'll fuck it up by either not doing enough or doing too much but I would love to be able to play some MP games again without mucking around with Tunngle and its brethern.

"we’ve been exploring some exciting ideas regarding remastering the classic PC games, and already have the ball rolling on our first effort to celebrate the upcoming 25th Year Anniversary"
https://www.pcgamer.com/ea-teases-comma ... _pcgamerfb

I'm a mechanical
I'm a mechanical
I'm a mechanical
Man.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Wrathbone
Local

Re: Remand and ReConquer?

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:10 pm

Alan wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:01 am
I'm a mechanical
I'm a mechanical
I'm a mechanical
Man.
It's like I've been swept back to 1995! :o

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:46 pm

I'm trying to think how they could squeeze microtransactions into a game from 1995. What content do you think they'll strip? Think the NOD campaign will be extra? Maybe the "EVA Ultimate" pack that comes with two "all new!" missions and gives NOD the dinosaur units?

I'm just a cynical,
I'm just a cynical,
I'm just a cynical
Man.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:45 pm

They already released new versions that let the originals run on Windows 10. I'm not really interested in them doing a big overhaul apart from possibly implementing new multiplayer servers for them all.

I'd rather they just made Generals 2 in the same style they originally marketed it as before randomly deciding to completely can it.

Strudel

Post by Strudel » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:05 pm

Interesting. I've been playing Red Alert 2 a bit recently with a friend. The maps are so much smaller when you're playing it at 3440x1440! You can nearly see the entire frigging map on screen at once. :P

Alan

Post by Alan » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:47 am

I wonder what resolution video files they have for the TibDawn stuff. :-k

“At least your mother tipped well!”

The Jackal

Post by The Jackal » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:36 pm

Warning: Nostalgia may depress the shit out of you.

Mighty Horse Rocks The Fat Ass.

Me

Post by Me » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:50 pm

Mantis wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:45 pm
They already released new versions that let the originals run on Windows 10.
Yeah this is what occurred to me, what can they do with with them now? Unless they rebuild them entirely the maps will still be small in high res's and other than that, what can you do, make them 3d and turn them shit? Well unless they re-make that FPS game again, though was pretty cool ¬_¬

The Jackal

Post by The Jackal » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:55 am

Me wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:50 pm
Mantis wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:45 pm
They already released new versions that let the originals run on Windows 10.
Yeah this is what occurred to me, what can they do with with them now? Unless they rebuild them entirely the maps will still be small in high res's and other than that, what can you do, make them 3d and turn them shit? Well unless they re-make that FPS game again, though was pretty cool ¬_¬
Renegade? I never played it but I read that it was better than the reviews made out. There was meant to be a sequel, but it got canned.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:21 am

I think the reviews were bad because they focused on the campaign where it was the multiplayer that made it really good.

As for the Win10 versions, they weren’t really good and had a fair share of problems. I think there’s a decent amount that could be done without redrawing sprites.

The Jackal

Post by The Jackal » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:43 am

...hang on a minute. I've just realised this is referring to Win10 - which means this isn't the 10th anniversary set, compatible with current OS, that came out while I was at uni (and that I can never think about without thinking also of my ex-gf's then ex-bf, and the curious thought that at least he had bought something to occupy his time with while I was banging his former missus...)

That took a tangent. What I meant was: They re-released it again for Win10??

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:10 am

The First Decade pack came out prior to Windows 10, I recall that it was very buggy. The Ultimate Edition that makes pretty much every game in the series compatible with Windows 10 has always worked fine for me. If you mod them with the CNC online tool you can even get multiplayer lobbies to work for them.

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:44 pm

EA partnering with Petroglyph for this. Pretty much best case scenario right there!

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:04 pm

Klepacki on board to do the music too. EA have done good here, and Petrogylph almost certainly needed a shot in the arm given their recent track record.

I'm curious as to whether the art team are just going to upscale everything to 4k and keep the original feel or do something a bit more drastic and totally rework the graphics.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:30 pm

I'm not sure how much they can really upscale the original game's visuals and keep the same feel; the game was designed for, what, 640x480? The units have practically zero detail. Infantry are maybe five pixels wide. I think there's a very good chance that it'll look completely wrong. You know the modern remasters of the 2D Final Fantasy games, where everything has been up-ressed and technically resembles the original sprite art, but just... wrong? That's what I'm expecting.

Which is not to say I'm not very keen on what they're doing. They've got the original people back, including the composer of one of the most memorable soundtracks in gaming history, and they've already said that they're not putting microtransactions in. I think they do need to modernise the interface and controls a bit; C&C is a bit painful to play once you're used to things like double-clicking to select all of that particular unit on screen, waypoints that newly created units will move to once built, that sort of thing.