Destiny 2: New Light

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Drarok

Destiny 2: New Light

Post by Drarok » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:20 pm

I feel like I'm basically the only person I know (apart from the guy that encouraged me in the first place) playing this game.

I never played the first one as I don't have an Xbone, and I've never really felt like I know WTF is going on, or what my goals are, or what the game mechanics are! Seems like they just expect you to know based on the first one, or other games of its ilk.

Anyone else playing? I don't really mind it, and it's fun to dip in and out of, but I reckon I'm missing out on a lot of stuff not being in a proper "clan" (I've never actually played with any other members apart from the previously-mentioned mate).
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Mantis
Landlord

Re: Destiny 2

Post by Mantis » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:07 pm

I unwittingly picked it up on Humble Bundle Monthly not long ago and have been trying to play through the campaign with a friend when we get the odd weekend. It's perfectly functional as a shooter but by god is it the most soulless game I've ever played. I switch my brain off almost entirely whilst I'm running through the maps blasting wave after wave of the same enemies.

It is rather pretty though. I really wish Bungie had never joined up with Microsoft so that they could have focused on making a new Halo.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:08 am

Not sure I'd agree there - the humour and (mostly from Nathan Fillion, naturally) is fun, and shooting the d̶u̶d̶e̶s aliens is fine... I just don't feel like they've gone to the effort of creating a difficulty curve.

I just dropped into some sort of 3-person matchmaking PvE thingy. I've got a power level of near 300 (nowhere near 9000 sadly), and some other random-ass numbers which should have made it easy for me. I figured I'd help out some lower-level folks and feel some sense of accomplishment.

Nope.

We did it as a 3-person team once (I think - I'm really not sure) with no fanfare, then it put us into orbit where the 3rd person left, so then me and the other remaining person were dumped back at the start of the thingy to try it alone. Given my power level or whatever the fuck it is (not explained clearly), we should have been fine but no. No.

After the second failed attempt I bailed out to see what loot my evening of mucking about had netted me. Basically fuck all. I presume I need to do the harder thingies more in line with my level in order to get good shit and level up, but I've really got no idea.

They've totally forgotten to include any directions in this game, and that's what fucks me off. Literally sometimes, in fact. I'll be following the compass and suddenly it'll change, or I'm directly where it tole me to be, but now I have to guess whether or not I should be aiming underground or up above somewhere whilst I can see neither... ARGH!

Tell you what though, it's fucking pretty. And the sense of scale they've managed to convey in the enormous caves and other giant structures is like nearly nothing else I've played.

Halo can fuck right off though. >_>
Raid wrote:
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:01 am

I tried a free weekend thing a while back as I was curious about it having also not played the first game, but I got bored of it really quickly, like about 45 minutes in. I think it was the soullessness Mantis mentioned, as well as the general sense of confusion that Drarok mentions as I agree it felt very much as if they assume everyone played the first one and is familiar with the mechanics.

I'm still curious enough about this kind of game though to be keeping a half-interested eye on Anthem.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:12 am

I've played it on and off since it got released on PC. Like everyone else I thought I had a handle on the upgrade path but now there seems to be no real direction. I'm stuck at around 350 power (and can only get to 400 without shelling out for the dlc whih would enable me to go to 600)

The difficulty curve is non existent. It takes me the same time to kill anything regardless of my level.

But it is quite relaxing to play as I don't really care about levelling. I'm just assuming tat's it. I just enjoy running about killing stuff.

Oh and I joined a clan but last night realised I'd been kicked. So if anyone wants to start a clan I'm up for joining
-- To be completed at some point --

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:12 am

Played a bit of the beta on PC and I just recently started a game on PS4 since it was part of Plus.

It's pretty dull so far and to be honest I cant see me continuing with it. Like others have said it's all perfectly functional if a little soulless. I think it's just not for me.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:24 am

I played through the base game and had a fairly good time, even tried the Raid. I think the shooting is some of the best around and for something you can plug away at whilst switching your brain off it's prefect, but it has multiple issues that prevent it from being a good game, not least of which is the fact that you are doing the same thing over and over. The Strikes are worth running through a couple of times, that's the 3 person PVE stuff you were talking about Darok. It's also a lot better if you have people to play with.

I actually started installing the PC version that I got through Humble the other day then had a sudden realisation that I had no desire to play through the same content again so stopped the install.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:45 am

I think the humour is way off the mark too. At no point did I find any of the banter between any of the characters remotely funny or engaging, which only added to the feeling of just blindly playing on autopilot. The writing treads this really awkward area where they want it to be zany and fun, but the tone of the overall game is meant to be based on some serious threat to the galaxy. Alongside being a big, unoriginal cliche; you can't have a dark main plot where all your characters can't stop making wisecracks, it's just cringeworthy.

I'm going to finish the campaign just so that I get my £10s worth (I forgot to pause my Humble account for that month -_-), but then it'll be uninstalled. It is pretty much the epitome of what I try to avoid in AAA gaming; all fur coat and no knickers, painfully clear that it is designed with the sole intent of making you pour hours into grinding the same content over and over whilst being subjected to the constant temptation of microtransactions.

I'll be avoiding Anthem for the same reason.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:03 am

So I found out I missed an entire DLC: Warmind. The latest update is basically like buying the whole fucking game again which I'm not about to do, but for not much money I added a whole bunch of new story. The adventures are still repetitive if you grind on those for some gear, but having some new story is good, even if Zavala is a douchebag.

Really enjoying actually feeling powerful for a change, too. I'm currently at max main level (~30 IIRC) and still have around 40 light levels to go before I'm fully maxed out, but I'm really smashing through public events and helping other people (I think???) gain some loot there.

The recent changes to having weekly/daily tasks that net you bigger loot have helped alleviate the "what the fuck am I meant to do" feeling, too.

I still wish I knew some people that played this on the regular to team up with though. Any takers? Only mate I have that's into it is way ahead of me in skill and levels, but waaaaay behind in time zone so we're rarely online at the same time.
Raid wrote:

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:07 pm

Last time I played I received a random invite from some dude to join a clan. Thought "why the fuck not" and accepted. The rest of the night he and I played through some weekly challenges, some halloween event stuff, and started working on unlocking some riddle thing for a weapon, and it was some of the most fun I've had in ages in any game, let alone just in D2.

Get yoself a clan, folks.
Raid wrote:

Jez

Post by Jez » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:17 pm

Yep. playing it as designed really :)
19-10-2003
12072 :-({|=

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:28 am

How hard is it to get into a clan though? It's so buried away in the menus. Badly thought out.

Plus, annoyingly I got kicked from mine with no idea why, apart from the fact I mentioned i didn't have the new DLC. Perhaps they were all try hards and didn't need a casual?
-- To be completed at some point --

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:16 pm

I think the start of a new season reset the clan thing. At least, that's what I'm telling myself since I was also booted around that time with no warning.
Raid wrote:

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:41 pm

Unless they changed it with the new expansion then that's not the case. It could be that they felt you were not contributing enough to the unlocks.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:49 pm

Could be – as evidenced by this thread, I have no idea what I'm doing so I doubt I was contributing.
Raid wrote: