Football

Running around and stuff.
Mantis
Landlord

Football

Post by Mantis » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:25 pm

That one with the leather sphere thingy.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: Football

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:42 am

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:43 am

A good time to launch the new thread, as the new season kicks off today with Man United at home to Leicester.

I know we had the World Cup but this still felt like an oddly long summer to me, glad to see the return of 'proper' footy.

How are you feeling about Arsenal's rebirth under Emery, Dj?

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:57 am

Sly Boots wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:43 am
Pretty optimistic. I think we should make top four this year and possibly win a cup. It's nice going into a new season not knowing what to expect after 10 years of the same old same old under Wenger. It also means I can actually go back to watch the team live. Haven't been for about four years as I've been boycotting paying the club any money until Wenger left.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:58 am

This has crept up on me. I don't have either Sky Sports or BT Sports any more, so no means to watch live matches at home any more. Apart from sneaky means.

I've heard Sky are showing tonights match free on Sky1, so I might watch that.

Jaz

Post by Jaz » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:18 pm

Liverpool v Paris Saint-Germain earlier was sick, check out the late winner:

https://streamja.com/ob7Q

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:20 am

It was a cracker all right. His celebration was quality :lol:. Nice to see Sturridge have a good game as well.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:24 pm

Shit... it looks like the helicopter carrying the Leicester City owner crashed into the car park shortly after take-off from the ground earlier this evening. Doesn't look good.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-l ... e-46006470

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:49 pm

A genuine shocker. Just awful.

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:44 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:57 am
Sly Boots wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:43 am
Pretty optimistic. I think we should make top four this year and possibly win a cup. It's nice going into a new season not knowing what to expect after 10 years of the same old same old under Wenger. It also means I can actually go back to watch the team live. Haven't been for about four years as I've been boycotting paying the club any money until Wenger left.
Thoughts now?

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:19 pm

Pretty much the same. We have been pretty unlucky with injuries at the back so slightly concerned about the game against Liverpool. During our run people appear to have forgotten that we were written off after the Chelsea and City game with people saying it would take multiple transfer windows to get the club back to a competitive position. We still have areas we need to improve, but to be able to put together the run we did whilst the manager is still getting to grips with the team is very encouraging. I still full expect to have everyone write us off again if we lose to Liverpool.

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:42 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:19 pm
Pretty much the same. We have been pretty unlucky with injuries at the back so slightly concerned about the game against Liverpool. During our run people appear to have forgotten that we were written off after the Chelsea and City game with people saying it would take multiple transfer windows to get the club back to a competitive position. We still have areas we need to improve, but to be able to put together the run we did whilst the manager is still getting to grips with the team is very encouraging. I still full expect to have everyone write us off again if we lose to Liverpool.
I've only seen you once this season (vs Leicester) and I don't know if that's a fair representation of how you usually play. BUT if it is, I'd be concerned because it was a Jekyll & Hyde performance. That said, if you highs are as good as you were in the second half of that match maybe I wouldn't worry too much. The only reason I see for you to not get top four is how close it is at the top. I also don't know how much I fancy the depth of your squad across the busy period.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:51 pm

I've not watched Arsenal play this season (almost never watch MOTD these days, as I stream most of our matches), but they're doing better than I thought they would after a tough couple of opening games. From the sound of it, getting Torreira up to speed has been key, while their forwards are performing well (not sure how well Emery has managed to get PEA and Lacazette playing together though). By the sound of it the defence has been a bit wobbly, although I think injuries have probably played a part there.

Not sure what to expect this weekend. Historically I'd expect a really hard game and be pleased to take away a point but the result could be anything here. Their forwards have overall been better than ours, who are only just starting to find decent form, while in a weird reversal of the traditional norm our defence has been really strong while theirs *could* struggle.

It's going to be another 4-4, isn't it?

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:23 pm

Thought the second half was good but overall a bit of a disappointment.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:42 am

On balance of chances created a draw was probably fair, even though I'm convinced our 'offside' goal in fact should have counted (which the commentators and referee association seem to have confirmed).

All that said, was disappointed with our performance. Defence largely did well but midfield and forwards still yet to click, something that's becoming a pattern of our season.