Battlefield V [PC, PS4, XBone] - V is for Victory

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Mantis
Landlord

Re: Battlefield V [PC, PS4, XBone] - V is for Victory

Post by Mantis » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:15 pm

Watching it now and it seems his biggest gripe with the game is how much it feels more like a Call of Duty game than a Battlefield one due to the focus on arcadey infantry combat and lack of any real emphasis on vehicles.

The apparent "virtue signalling" he mentions from the campaign is going to be covered in a separate video. The campaign looks awful anyway, but then I don't think I've played a Battlefield single player mode since the first Bad Company.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:43 pm

Jez wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:31 pm
Your on PC aren't you Rusty? Animal is console iirc.
Yarp, none of this casual console lark :)
-- To be completed at some point --

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:58 pm

Ah man Mack has been really getting on my tits lately. There have been a few titles he has reviewed where he has let his politics surface, and they aren't very pleasant. He was banging on about the protests to Trump visiting the UK a while back abusing the protesters and being quite pro-Trump, and seeing him playing under the name MakeGamesGreat in this review left a pretty sour taste in my mouth. Nothing worse than a cock with a platform to crow from.

The review though, well actually I do agree with several points that he makes. Rewriting history in games is, for my money, disrespectful to those who actually fought. Having the operations in Norway carried out by a teenage girl for example, you just get the impression they are ticking the boxes on John Walker's HR list.

Put all that aside though, I can deal with all of that. What hit me most was that this isn't a leveraging of all that made BF1942 great lifted to a modern hardware level. Big shootybang levels of run around Deathmatch doesn't do it for me. Didn't with BF1 and has decided me against this. Where is Wake Island, Tobruk, El Alamein etc reimagined for today? BF1942 was made brilliant by the vehicles and aircraft. To not have them in any real force does, as Mack says, make it just another COD clone.

Not for me.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:01 pm

I'm only here for the battle royale (it does have that mode right?)

Snowy: Have you tried the ray tracing shizzle on it yet?
-- To be completed at some point --

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:00 pm

Rusty wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:01 pm
Not until February or March.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:12 pm

Rusty wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:01 pm

Snowy: Have you tried the ray tracing shizzle on it yet?
Won't happen mate, not shelling out £50 or thereabouts for the privelege on a game I am not going to like. Maybe downstream in the sales.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Jez

Post by Jez » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:30 pm

I don't understand what justifies people saying that this is a CoD a-like. It "seems" to be coming from a lack of sufficient carnage being created by a large amount of vehicles on every map?

Well if I had a fuckin pound for every time I read about people saying that vehicles were OP or too many or blah blah blah I'd be working part time.

There are many vehicles in this title already and maps that can use them effectively. I've been killed by and killed plenty. Here's the thing though, people are working together to destroy them, whether that's because people are using the Squad system much more effectively or just EA access n00bs driving them I can't really pick between.

Anyways as a player of many years of BF titles I can honestly say I don't feel a bit like I'm playing a CoD title. I tried that again recently and refunded after a few hours. This plays nothing like that. Is it infantry focussed ... yes probably but more vehicle massive maps are coming.

As for Mack I strongly think that he is projecting his Anti-SJW feelings into aspects of the game without trying to sound completely Far Right. The absolute easiest way to do that is to deride it by likening it to CoD. Just a flick through the comments shows nothing but that bilge in his supporters.....what's a youtuber to do eh?
19-10-2003
12072 :-({|=

Jez

Post by Jez » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:54 pm

This video is a fairly balanced perspective though I disagree with a some points he makes when you view the release as the start of a chronology through the war.

19-10-2003

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:25 pm

I could be wrong Jez but the maps didn't look to me anything like the maps of old - they are all very crafted to ensure hot infantry combat from all sides, where my favourite maps in 1942 were an open sprawl - El Alamein, Market Garden, Wake Island, Iwo Jima etc. Playing TDM against a team where several Panzers and a Tiger could make a joined up attack, where a well positioned artillery tank could cause chaos, and for each of those where a well placed bomb from a plane could end all their fun.

I think the world of FPS has moved on, and sadly left me behind in so doing.

EDIT: I agree, Mack is trying very hard not to come over as holding far right views, but I wonder. And his commenters mostly occupy that tiny-minded space no question.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:50 pm

Funnily enough the guy in that video has similar thoughts to me.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:37 pm

Snowy wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:58 pm
Ah man Mack has been really getting on my tits lately. There have been a few titles he has reviewed where he has let his politics surface, and they aren't very pleasant.
You weren't kidding. Honestly I've never understood why the guy's reviews are popular around here, I think there are better reviewers on Youtube, but after the BFV one I can't see myself watching any more of his.

Jez

Post by Jez » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:16 pm

I just honestly think he is very far from the mark here with BF5 and rightly or wrongly is making a big thing of the whole women in games piece.

Most of the maps are big and some are huge Ian. There are small ones and they are weaker maps for sure.

End of day I know you aren't much into MP games Ian so I'm not convincing you anytime soon, that's by the by really. but what I do want to do is clarify some things that appear to be coming out that are incorrect or at least overblown.

I played BFBC2 as my first BF game then 1942 then onto BF3 etc etc. I don't know what rose tints some people out there in net land are remembering about the older games but that gameplay is here in BF5 especially in the middle and large maps.
19-10-2003

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:57 am

I can understand why people might be a bit annoyed with the maps being more infantry focused. The problem is that in BF 1942 vehicles were not as powerful as they have been in recent BF games, especially with the introduction of unlockable perks. I've found myself going right off BF games because they can be so vehicle dominated and I much prefere infantry shooting. BF 1942 had it right from the start, vehicles could net you some kills but you could also blow up a tank with a few grenades.

Jez

Post by Jez » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:34 am

My experience here is that BF5 goes back to that. The tanks are pretty lethal but unless they are being tended to diligently they are quite squishy. I was part of a tank crew last night and I managed to keep a tank alive for the whole map. But it took clever positioning and constant effort to keep it up right.

Like you DJ I prefer infantry stuff as a choice but overall I'm enjoying the vehicles in this one.
19-10-2003

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:59 am

Rewriting history in games is, for my money, disrespectful to those who actually fought. Having the operations in Norway carried out by a teenage girl for example, you just get the impression they are ticking the boxes on John Walker's HR list.
If this has you playing as a resistance fighter then that is historically accurate as two of it's four leaders were young women.