Bar Staff

Re: Currently Playing

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:50 am

Snowy wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:23 am
Sly Boots wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:51 am
Dying Light

Have eyed this up for a while after putting it off mainly for reasons of a) price and b) I'm a chicken when it comes to horror games. I've put a few hours in and it seems ok, I was shitting myself a bit when I dithered on one of the early missions that had me scooting back to a safe zone in pitch-blackness, which was interesting. I think it's a pretty long game so not sure if I'll ever complete it (see point b), but may keep putting in the odd hour here and there and eking my way through.
Dying Light is a brilliant title - and as with my request to DJ above if you want a co-op buddy to team up with just say the word as in co-op the game really shines.

The only thing with it is, it is best in the early stages when you have little gear and being caught by a pack of zoms is really tricky. As you progress and get some of the better custom weapons made up, you become a human blender, ripping through hordes like an avenging angel and one-shotting specials or picking them off from range. The grappling hook you can craft late-game virtually turns you into Spiderman too, which while fun does make traversal very easy.

Be prepared for one of the worst endings to a game ever for the main campaign by the way, but equally don't let that put you off what is a fantastic experience right up to that moment. The ending is a blip on what is otherwise a brilliant title.
Yeah, I'm certainly still in the 'feeling extremely vulnerable' phase :lol:

Although the toughest bit so far was trying to take down a compound of black market medicine dealers armed with only a couple of wrenches. That was the first (and to date only) time I've actually died, and took me a while to take them out while retreating and healing every few strikes.

I've become a bit paralysed with indecision after my recent spate of bargain-hunting, but sure I shall be returning to this one.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:45 pm

Wizard is easily my favourite, but if you can stomach the totally boring first 20 levels of a Demon Hunter, they get to be quite fun too. I don't have a lot of experience with the Necromancer, but they seemed pretty fun too.

I think it's difficult for me to judge a class on their pre-endgame stuff these days, because so much of what makes me love a class comes from legendary items and the stupidly powerful set bonuses they frequently get as part of the season journey. The current season gives the Wizard my favourite of their sets, the one that calls down a free meteor for each damage type (fire, ice, lightning, arcane) when you hit with a spell of that element. The cooldown for each damage type is only 8 seconds, meaning you basically fill the screen with meteors constantly.

The Demon Hunter can get The Shadow's Mantle which gives a 1200% damage bonus when equipped with a melee weapon (so they can't use most ranged abilities), and grants a 50,000% damage bonus to one particular skill. Yes, 50,000%. You can see me one shot just about every major enemy, including the end boss, in a Greater Rift level 25 (equivalent to the Torment 6 difficulty level) here. Yes, those damage numbers are in the thousand-millions range.

I kinda feel like playing again actually, if you fancy some company.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:05 pm

Yeah the Wizard is the best (haven't played the Necromancer). Having played the game to death I think the classes are actually pretty weak. The melee ones especially don't have a lot of interesting skills and often feel fairly similar to play.

I don't think I will ever go back to Diablo 3, played it so much over the years that it just feels like I am going through the motions each time. I have been thinking of putting more time into Path of Exile, the next expansion that is due out soon is adding a Nemesis style system into it that sounds really cool.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:27 pm

Cool, thanks guys. I did hover over the wizard choice a bit on character creation, so as I'm only level 4 with barbarian I might go back and restart with a wizard in that case. :)

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:01 pm

Level 4? That's about two minutes play these days isn't it?

Crusader and Monk were pretty good I thought, though I think I have to be in the right frame of mind for the Crusader.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:04 pm

Raid wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:01 pm
Level 4? That's about two minutes play these days isn't it?

Crusader and Monk were pretty good I thought, though I think I have to be in the right frame of mind for the Crusader.
Yeah :lol:

I think it's more like half an hour tbf, but like I said, I only really just got started with it. I didn't want to get too far in unless I wanted to switch classes.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:24 pm

I actually wasn't kidding. This is one of the reasons I turn the difficulty up. Half of this time was the opening waffle.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:31 pm

Raid wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:24 pm
I actually wasn't kidding. This is one of the reasons I turn the difficulty up. Half of this time was the opening waffle.

True, there are a fair few cinematics... I looked up my time thus far and it's 23 minutes, but I guess a good part of that must have been sitting watching the cut-scenes!

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:32 pm

I hope you are playing adventure mode and not bothering with the story.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:38 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:32 pm
I hope you are playing adventure mode and not bothering with the story.
Uh, playing the campaign afaik. I just booted up the game and the box saying adventure mode is locked, I think you need the expansion? Like I said, I just bought the basic base game.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:54 pm

The story may not be a classic, but I really think you need to play through it at least once. It'd be weird doing Adventure mode without context.

And yeah, I got to level 12 in 30 minutes. The progression on the first difficulty level is glacial.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:46 pm

OK turns out this is just something they unlocked for the Switch version. Still have to complete the game for the other versions.
The story may not be a classic, but I really think you need to play through it at least once. It'd be weird doing Adventure mode without context.
I think the story is terrible and the cool loot you can get from Adventure Mode make it a much better way to play.

Alan

Post by Alan » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:48 pm

The triple Xp weekends should have been the standard xp gain. It’s impossibly dull at normal speed even on higher difficulties
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:28 pm

Nah, the triple XP events are great when you want to basically start at the endgame, but getting new runes and abilities every couple of minutes is overwhelmingly quick, and gear is replaced so quickly that you realise you're getting your arse kicked because everything is ten levels too old.

I think one time through the story should be enough to get you to 70. It's about 7 or 8 hours I think, not sure which difficulty setting is right for that. Adventure mode is a much better experience, I agree, but I think story mode is the best way to start.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:38 pm

I went back to D3 and played a few seasons of it around the time that the expansion came out. The story is generally slow and awful from start to finish, barring act 3 which I thought was quite cool for the most part. The extra act that came with the expansion pack is leagues better than the first four base game ones.

The difference between the game now and how it was at launch is pretty astounding, it was so dire back then. I'm not overly keen on a lot of the mechanic design but it's still a fun game and grinding for ridiculous legendary items in Adventure Mode is quite a good laugh if you play co-op. It's a toss up for me between Demon Hunter, Wizard and Crusader for most fun class to play as.