Currently Playing

Steam, Deals & More.
Raid
Local

Re: Currently Playing

Post by Raid » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:58 pm

Scratch my comments about the Necromancer being fun. I just can't find a build that's actually entertaining; it's too resource management heavy, and I too often found myself with either no corpses or no essence to spend. Maybe it gets better, but I'm level 35 and nothing's clicking.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:31 am

I tried for the seasonal achievment of playing the story through from start to finish in an hour... first try and I managed 1 hour 12 minutes. I reckon I could do it with a bit of luck and more planning.

Oh and my monk is now my favourite character. Especially a fan of his teleport, i can skip huge swathes of content by a judicious teleport.
-- To be completed at some point --

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:15 am

Sly Boots wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:50 am
Snowy wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:23 am
Sly Boots wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:51 am
Dying Light

Have eyed this up for a while after putting it off mainly for reasons of a) price and b) I'm a chicken when it comes to horror games. I've put a few hours in and it seems ok, I was shitting myself a bit when I dithered on one of the early missions that had me scooting back to a safe zone in pitch-blackness, which was interesting. I think it's a pretty long game so not sure if I'll ever complete it (see point b), but may keep putting in the odd hour here and there and eking my way through.
Dying Light is a brilliant title - and as with my request to DJ above if you want a co-op buddy to team up with just say the word as in co-op the game really shines.

The only thing with it is, it is best in the early stages when you have little gear and being caught by a pack of zoms is really tricky. As you progress and get some of the better custom weapons made up, you become a human blender, ripping through hordes like an avenging angel and one-shotting specials or picking them off from range. The grappling hook you can craft late-game virtually turns you into Spiderman too, which while fun does make traversal very easy.

Be prepared for one of the worst endings to a game ever for the main campaign by the way, but equally don't let that put you off what is a fantastic experience right up to that moment. The ending is a blip on what is otherwise a brilliant title.
Yeah, I'm certainly still in the 'feeling extremely vulnerable' phase :lol:

Although the toughest bit so far was trying to take down a compound of black market medicine dealers armed with only a couple of wrenches. That was the first (and to date only) time I've actually died, and took me a while to take them out while retreating and healing every few strikes.

I've become a bit paralysed with indecision after my recent spate of bargain-hunting, but sure I shall be returning to this one.
Seriously Alan, hit me up for some co-op on it, it transforms the game.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:39 am

Snowy wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:15 am
Sly Boots wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:50 am
Snowy wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:23 am

Dying Light is a brilliant title - and as with my request to DJ above if you want a co-op buddy to team up with just say the word as in co-op the game really shines.

The only thing with it is, it is best in the early stages when you have little gear and being caught by a pack of zoms is really tricky. As you progress and get some of the better custom weapons made up, you become a human blender, ripping through hordes like an avenging angel and one-shotting specials or picking them off from range. The grappling hook you can craft late-game virtually turns you into Spiderman too, which while fun does make traversal very easy.

Be prepared for one of the worst endings to a game ever for the main campaign by the way, but equally don't let that put you off what is a fantastic experience right up to that moment. The ending is a blip on what is otherwise a brilliant title.
Yeah, I'm certainly still in the 'feeling extremely vulnerable' phase :lol:

Although the toughest bit so far was trying to take down a compound of black market medicine dealers armed with only a couple of wrenches. That was the first (and to date only) time I've actually died, and took me a while to take them out while retreating and healing every few strikes.

I've become a bit paralysed with indecision after my recent spate of bargain-hunting, but sure I shall be returning to this one.
Seriously Alan, hit me up for some co-op on it, it transforms the game.
:lol: Okay, okay. If I'm a bit reticent it's because I've not really co-oped a game before and have an in-built fear of the unknown :lol:

But how would it work? Would you be cruising around mowing through zombies like a weed-whacker while I'm still thrashing away futilely with the chair-leg-with-nails I'm currently rocking?

I'll give it a go, though. My wife's working a few night shifts at the moment, so an evening next week when I've got the house to myself could work?

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:47 am

Starting from scratch would work better as if he joined your game he'd be much better levelled and geared.

I played to about half way through the second map with a friend and had an absolute blast with Dying Light. It was definitely better in the first few hours though where we had barely anything to fight with and there was still an element of scariness when you fell off a building and landed in a huge group of zombs. The first time the campaign is scripted to force you into a night time chase back to the tower is absolutely brilliant, it actually felt intense to play through.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:47 pm

Fairly sure there is a character editor knocking about I can grab - just tell me what level you are and will make a corresponding level toon.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:09 pm

Snowy wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:47 pm
Fairly sure there is a character editor knocking about I can grab - just tell me what level you are and will make a corresponding level toon.
Ok. I may play more over the next few nights, but once I know the good lady's schedule for next week and what level I am then (spoiler alert, this will almost certainly be single digits :lol:), I'll drop you a PM.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:34 am

Mrs Snowy off to NY on Weds, so my evenings are my own.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Alan

Post by Alan » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:15 pm

Been a bit bed ridden this week so Switch it is....

Captain Toad
What a shit game. Why are people saying this is good? Unless there’s going to be a revelation in mechanics at some point this is literally the worst game ive played this year. It’s cumbersome, it’s dull, it’s easy, it’s mindless. Well done Toad, you were worse are than Nier.

Octopath
I want to love this so much but I just can’t stand the combat, it’s so very boring. If this were on PC I would cheat engine everyone to max level and just enjoy wandering the world and story but when you are stuck in these awful battles for what feels like 15-20 mins only to walk twenty feet and have to do it again I have to say fuck this game.

At least Into athe Breach is still great even I feel the switch version has some questionable design choices. I keep falling back on that and sometimes Dead Cells.

Civ6 should be next, surely that can’t disappoint...... oh and Yokus, I should get round to playing that. I should probably pick up Disgaea 5 too.....
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Wizard Of Odd

Post by Wizard Of Odd » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:14 pm

Re: Dying Light, I played the main campaign earlier this year and loved it. The threat of night time was so real, I found myself panicking when it started getting dark, and always made a beeline for a safehouse. Never did any coop, bet that would be really fun. I've still got the add on I need to go through at some point.

eny

Post by eny » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:41 pm

I'm playing Dying Light atm too and I am thoroughly loving it! The peril of night-time is like nothing else, and the penalty of not taking that health-pack when you had the chance, and loosing valuable xp points is a killer element too, makes you really wary about getting lost in a kill frenzy. I love how you can get overwhelmed so quickly if you take too much of a chance. Fucking awesome game.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:52 pm

I've not had an enormous amount of time for games lately. But when I do, I tend to relax on Stardew Valley. I have a multiplayer save going with some friends and my own little solo farm. The multiplayer has helped a lot with my understanding of the game, so I've nearly finished the community centre already on my solo game and I've got a shed pumping out pale ale on a daily basis from the hops I've been growing in the greenhouse. Deluxe barn and coop with every type of animal. House upgraded enough so that next time it rains I can go buy the pendant off the mariner to propose to Abigail and get her to move onto the farm with me. All this and we haven't even finished our first winter yet.
Spoiler
As soon as spring comes around and I can reliably grow other crops outdoors I'm going to go all in on developing the south east side of the farm with mills, more sheds and a little pig farm.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:19 pm

Stardew is a lovely game. It's a shame I've played it so much I have very little appetite to go back to it any time soon, but it's wonderful while it lasts.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:44 am

Damn we have a full pack of 4 players for Dying Light, why are we not getting a co-op session going?

On the expansion by the way... I felt it was a miss. Taking you out of the city into the countryside, you lose all that parkour fun and instead just zoom about in buggies, which are less fun than they sound.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

The Jackal

Post by The Jackal » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:31 pm

Still playing Clear Sky - been away for a fortnight to the point where I'd forgotten what I was even doing on my last save...
Mighty Horse Rocks The Fat Ass.