Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Snowy
Local

Re: Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Post by Snowy » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:53 pm

Just binged Season 3 of The Last Kingdom on Netflix. Absolutely brilliant serialisation of Bernard Cornwell's Saxon Chronicles, about the rise of Alfred the Great and his successors told from the viewpoint of Uhtred of Bebbanburg (Bamburgh), a Saxon captured and raised a Viking.

It really is a brilliant story, and does the Viking era in England so much more service than the show actually called Vikings, which quickly descended into googly-eyed protagonists and endless quasi-mystical bollocks rather than mine the rich veins of history that were there for the taking.

Season 3 done in 2 days. Now to wait another year for the next one!
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Pew-Pew

Post by Pew-Pew » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:53 pm

Been bingeing on Brooklyn nine-nine in the last day or so. I'm really enjoying it, though I think 10 episodes in one day might have been a bit much. In my defense, they're 22 mins long -_-

It felt a little forced at first, but I think it really settles into it after a few episodes.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:35 pm

Yeah, I started watching it recently too, already through to quite late in season 2. Nice, simple fun with some undertones of serious themes now and then. I even like the Family-Guy-style cutaways, bookended with police radio static! :D
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:38 pm

Sick Of It

If you like Karl Pilkington (which I do) than this is pretty funny. I do like his outlook on life as he often verbalises some classic thought processes. It also has pathos which is always good in a comedy

8/10
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:44 pm

Is that on one of the terrestrial channels, or Netflix, AE?

I do enjoy Pilkington's moan-rants.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:46 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:31 pm
On a recommendation from a friend, starting watching Inside No9 on Prime, written by and starring Reece Shearsmith and Steve Pemberton of League of Gentleman fame.

I know it's a few years old now, but not heard of it before. Enjoying it greatly, though - it's good watching short 30-minute one-off episodes, each with a dark twist of some kind. There is humour, but definitely of the black variety.

Favourite of the first season was the burglary gone wrong in A Quiet Night In (or whatever it's called, without looking it up), which despite having barely any dialogue was great fun to watch. Oddly the last episode of the season was probably the weakest, despite having a nice creepy buildup the ending was a bit of a damp squib and left you thinking 'was that it?'.

Looking forward to watching the second season.
No-one else seen this btw?

There was one episode in the second series that basically broke myself and my wife. We just sat stunned after watching it. It might be one of the finest, saddest, episodes of TV I've ever seen.

And it stars one of the girls from Two Pints! Whod've thunk?

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:46 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:44 pm

Sky - sorry mate

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:57 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:46 pm
Sly Boots wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:44 pm

Sky - sorry mate
Bah!

Alan

Post by Alan » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:59 pm

Sly we watched a few No9 and forgot about it. The silent one with the robbers (ep2 I think) was really good.

We’ve been watching Manhunt Unabomber and well.... it seems to be complete bullshit. It seems more like a fictional procedural that they’ve stuck a rough approximation of Ted into. I’m reasonably sure pretty much none of this happened at all which seems disrespectful to all involved.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:18 pm

Alan wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:59 pm
Sly we watched a few No9 and forgot about it. The silent one with the robbers (ep2 I think) was really good.

We’ve been watching Manhunt Unabomber and well.... it seems to be complete bullshit. It seems more like a fictional procedural that they’ve stuck a rough approximation of Ted into. I’m reasonably sure pretty much none of this happened at all which seems disrespectful to all involved.
Yeah, A Quiet Night In is that one you're talking about, probably in my top two or three of all the first three series we watched (only the first three seem to be on Netflix). But make sure you watch the Christmas themed episode in season 2, and let me know what you thought :)

We quite enjoyed the Unabomber series, but then I really know nothing about him or how he was captured, so I didn't really have a frame or reference for how realistic is it (or isn't).

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:48 am

Deutschland 83

Been wanting to see this for some time and finally caught it on Prime. Brilliant beginning and ending but it got lost with some silly subplot mid-season, like it lost its way between 3 to 5 than got back on track from 6. It did have several plot holes but overall it was worth a watch. The fact that it closely tied itself to Operation Able Archer and based itself around real events is cool (very much like Narcos) but its execution was a bit sloppy and if it stayed focused it would have been excellent. Never mind

Here's hoping Deutschland 86 is better

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Able_Archer_83
Spoiler
the sub-plot regards the Chinese assassin that was dropped as quickly as it came about was pretty sloppy writing
6/10

Alan

Post by Alan » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:29 am

Informant
BBC thing. We're 5 eps in and I really like the structure of the pre credits being a snapshot of the future before going back and telling the events up till then. Its a fine show but I dont feel they nail how human beings react in these situations. Then again, I have never been undercover with criminals so what do I know?
Sly Boots wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:18 pm
Alan wrote:

Yeah, A Quiet Night In is that one you're talking about, probably in my top two or three of all the first three series we watched (only the first three seem to be on Netflix). But make sure you watch the Christmas themed episode in season 2, and let me know what you thought :)

We quite enjoyed the Unabomber series, but then I really know nothing about him or how he was captured, so I didn't really have a frame or reference for how realistic is it (or isn't).
We went back to it and I think the ideas are all really excellent but I dont feel like they ever nail a decent ending. Each ep usually ends with the gf and I looking at each other and going "Hmmmmm". The xmas one was well done and nailed the thing as a whole much better than most of the rest but I feel like they hit a high bar with A Quiet Night and everything else has just been sauntering under it so far. Its a good show but I really just wish they would get that final landing to make it satisfying.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:27 am

Alan wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:29 am
Informant
BBC thing. We're 5 eps in and I really like the structure of the pre credits being a snapshot of the future before going back and telling the events up till then. Its a fine show but I dont feel they nail how human beings react in these situations. Then again, I have never been undercover with criminals so what do I know?
Sly Boots wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:18 pm
Alan wrote:

We went back to it and I think the ideas are all really excellent but I dont feel like they ever nail a decent ending. Each ep usually ends with the gf and I looking at each other and going "Hmmmmm". The xmas one was well done and nailed the thing as a whole much better than most of the rest but I feel like they hit a high bar with A Quiet Night and everything else has just been sauntering under it so far. Its a good show but I really just wish they would get that final landing to make it satisfying.
I feel that way about the ones where they go for straight horror - the one with the weird house the babysitter goes to, the seance-type one etc - the build-up being better than the pay-off. But overall very much enjoying the series as a whole. The whole 5 seasons is on iplayer, by the way, Netflix only has the first three. The Cheese & Crackers one had the wife tearing up again.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:21 pm

Ash v Evil Dead

Series 1 has just shown up on Netflix and it's a blast, made my way to episode 9 already. Shame it's just the first series, hopefully the others follow.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:27 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:21 pm
Ash v Evil Dead

Series 1 has just shown up on Netflix and it's a blast, made my way to episode 9 already. Shame it's just the first series, hopefully the others follow.
Have added to my list. We're just finishing up season 3 of Hannibal (didn't want two different things on the go at once), then we'll launch into it.