Planetside Arena

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Planetside Arena

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:46 pm

Daybreak just announced a new Planetside game. It will start out as a Battle Royale game with the headline being a massive 250 v250 mode but they plan to add more classic multiplayer modes over time. The map is based off Amerish and players will be able to spawn a Flash whenever they want. Players also have a shield and can pick from three classes. Apparently the time to kill is a lot slower than other BR games. Additionally weapons are on pedestals rather than the ground.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018 ... 00-players

The biggest issue I can see from the start is the addition of a battle pass which has a free and paid for track. You have to buy the battle pass each season and the free path unlocks weapon blueprints that you can take into battle and craft once you have gain enough in-game currency in a match. This means those with a battle pass have a leg up. So it feels a bit pay-to-win to me. On top of this you have to buy the game itself, although if you do you get the first battle pass for free.

Adding paid battle passes to games that you have to buy off the bat is a bad trend that I would like to see end.

Mantis
Landlord

Re: Planetside Arena

Post by Mantis » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:25 pm

Are you sure about this?

From the article:
The paid track of the battle pass, on the other hand, contains flashy cosmetics only.
That would imply no pay-to-win mechanics, right?

I'm feeling a bit lazy to read through and fully figure it out myself, but suffice to say that I won't be playing any games with pay to win systems. If that isn't the case with this one then I hope it gets off to a positive launch, I enjoyed Planetside 2 quite a lot and if there's any developer/franchise that would lend itself well to the 'battle royale' genre it is this one.

Here's the trailer:

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:35 pm

I'm a bit surprised it took them this long to introduce a BR mode. Most of the work's already done; large maps designed for hundreds of players, vehicles, plenty of different but relatively balanced weapons, and even the airdrop mechanic that every BR game seems to have.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:00 pm

Mantis wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:25 pm
Are you sure about this?

From the article:
The paid track of the battle pass, on the other hand, contains flashy cosmetics only.
That would imply no pay-to-win mechanics, right?
I put the details in my first post.
You have to buy the battle pass each season and the free path unlocks weapon blueprints that you can take into battle and craft once you have gained enough in-game currency from a match. This means those with a battle pass have a leg up.
Having a blueprint gives you access to a better weapon if you can get the money together in-game.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:19 pm

But it literally says right there that you unlock the weapon blueprints via the free path? That reads to me that you can pay for the pass each season and get the cosmetics whilst everyone has access to the free version with the weapons blueprints. I'm not sure what else it could possibly mean by 'free path', because it's not exactly free if you've paid upfront for the pass, no?

The brief stint that I played Fortnite on PS4 worked in a similar way. Each season had a series of rewards and it was clearly split between two ladders, one that was free for everyone and another that you only unlocked by purchasing the pass for the season. Though they were all cosmetics and emotes from what I remember, I don't think Fortnite has unlockable weapons.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:30 pm

You have to buy the pass each season so you need to buy the pass to access the 'free' path that unlocks the blueprints. So if you don't buy the pass you wont have access to the blueprints and the advantage they give. It's not the most heinous pay-to-win but it's not great either.

Alan

Post by Alan » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:52 pm

How can it be free if it’s paid? :-k
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:08 pm

So you buy the pass just to access the 'free' tier and then there is another paid tier on top of that which requires more money?

This is not clear at all. :lol:

Lee

Post by Lee » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:52 am

Isn't this the same way Fortnite handles the season passes as well? I might be wrong as I have long given up playing it before that was introduced.

Might give this a try though.
Mr Annoyed and Proud of it.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:50 pm

Aaaaand it's dead, after being online for just 3 months.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019 ... -franchise

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:00 am

I am quite pleased, had it been a success it would likely have spelled the end of the full game, which would have been an unbearable shame.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:37 am

Snowy wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:00 am
I am quite pleased, had it been a success it would likely have spelled the end of the full game, which would have been an unbearable shame.
They were planning to use Arena as a stepping stone to creating Planetside 3, so if anything it's massive failure makes Planetside 3 less likely as they will be short of funds.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:32 pm

Oh.

Bum.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=