The 'Look What the Postman Brought Me' Thread - Technology Edition

Error 304, turn it on and off again.
Pew-Pew

Re: The 'I Just Bought' Thread - Technology Edition

Post by Pew-Pew » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:31 pm

How's the camera on your new Mate 20, Mantis? That phone does seem pretty cool. I'm on an S8 from a year or so ago, but I keep getting a horrible itch to upgrade (I don't even know to what) despite having no real problems with it. >_<

I recently decided to purchase a Gigabyte Aero 15x laptop. I would normally not be one to spend lots of money on a thin and light gaming laptop, but I can't really bring my rig over to Spain from the UK, and don't really want to build a new one here. Instead I thought I'd replace my 4 year old laptop (Gigabyte P34g V2), which is still fine for everything except demanding modern games.

The market for thin and light 15.6" gaming laptops with decent battery life is a very small one, and every one I've seen has some sort of issue. It's basically between the Aero 15x, the Razer Blade 15, and the MSI GS65. The Aero 15x has some issues with unstable software and QC, the Razer Blade is more expensive and doesn't have a second slot for an SSD (and people always raise concerns about its longevity due to a poor track record from Razer), and the MSI GS65 has cheaper build quality and is difficult to upgrade (as well as looking too gamery for my tastes). Decided to risk the Aero 15x. I ended up getting one with bad screen bleed in the corners, so I'm sending it back. Not sure if I will try and get another - it's Amazon at least, so it's easy, and my parents have offered to pay for the laptop as a Christmas/birthday gift. I wish there was a perfect one. :x

The picture makes it look slightly worse than real life, but it is still very obvious at high brightness in a dark room. Not good enough for £1800.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:21 pm

So kinda tech - I bought a new seat for my PC desk.

My back is fucked, or to use the medical terminology I have Pars Interarticularis, where the part of one of my vertebra that limits movement didn't form when I was in the womb, which has led to a prolapsed lower back disc and much pain.

This is why I don't feel bad about spending nearly £300 on a chair. I have always bought decent, but this one is just fucking looooovely.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:39 am

Gah, why are chairs so expensive? Does look pretty good though, not sure it actually looks comfortable though, it looks the part for a pro gamer :)

And that back problem sounds awful, being tall I constantly tweak my back and it's a nightmare but to have something permamently there... jeez.
-- To be completed at some point --

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:09 am

I have been fixed surgically after the disc prolapse, although that did give me a year of pain and I still get really bad cramps and occasional twinges. The risk is that I can do it all again so I tend to be very careful when choosing pastimes - go-karting etc is out. Also have to be very careful in the gym.

It is a lot more comfy than it looks, but the main thing is how it gently cups your back in place when you sit in it - it is comfortable but firm at the same time. The lumbar pillow is great and I can almost hear my lower spine saying "Oh...yes...that's perfect" as I sit down. I work from home a couple of days minimum each week (that's before gaming time), so this is a necessity not a frivolous splash-out.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:53 pm

I'm hoping to be working from home 4 days a week in the near future, I hadn't considered the fact that my home chair is fucking shit. Not keen on the looks of that one, though. Some sort of throne is probably a sensible investment…
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:40 pm

It does look a bit boy-racer, but is comfy as all get out.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:32 pm

Does anywhere exist where I can go try out nice chairs anymore? Back in the day, Staples sold chairs and you could go try out a bunch to figure out which were comfortable.

I've got a bit of a shitty back, so I need support in the right places – it's not the kind of thing you can determine from a spec sheet or even recommendations.
Raid wrote:
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:46 pm

IKEA is the only place I can think of, even then your choice is pretty limited.

Although I've heard good things about the Markus however the lack of adjustable arm rest made it a no-go for me.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:55 pm

Do Staples not do that any more? I bought my chair from them, this was years ago though. I was going to suggest IKEA, but as MM says there isn't a huge range to choose from.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:36 pm

Honestly, I thought Staples had gone under years ago. Maybe it was just the one in my town that closed down, but I haven't seen any others in years.

I really don't like arm rests at all, so want a chair that either has detachable ones, or omits them entirely. I think I've already sat on every one that Ikea offer, and my current one is from there – not recommended. It feels like it's constantly leaning to one side for a start!
Raid wrote:

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:38 pm

Yeah, though Ikea do at least have the option of trying their chairs, I'm not sure why you'd want to as they're all awful (or at least they were the last time I went to the Warrington store, it's possible they didn't have the full range).

Alan

Post by Alan » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:50 pm

Pro tip, set an eBay list thingy to show collection only desk chairs (or whatever) within 20miles. Collection only stuff goes for pennies unless you live in London. Same for desks. I got an amazing massive desk for a tenner that sells for 200 and I got a chair that goes for 150 for 15. Both mint condition.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:07 pm

Drarok wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:36 pm
Honestly, I thought Staples had gone under years ago. Maybe it was just the one in my town that closed down, but I haven't seen any others in years.

I really don't like arm rests at all, so want a chair that either has detachable ones, or omits them entirely. I think I've already sat on every one that Ikea offer, and my current one is from there – not recommended. It feels like it's constantly leaning to one side for a start!
Staples definitely still a thing, I couldn't see a list of locations (though I didn't spend long looking), but they do do office & gaming chairs:

https://www.staples.co.uk/gaming-chairs/cbc/1444.html

Tichinde

Post by Tichinde » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:51 pm

The Wife's Nexus 5x has been on its last legs for a bit so it's a Huwawei P20 for the replacement.
Nice phone in fairness. Good screen, responsive, solid battery life (so far). Don't think she'd miss any of the bells and whistles on the Pro and a shade under £400 makes it affordable, assuming it lasts.
"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:42 pm

Upgrade time!
Late night for me tonight, going from Win 7 to Win 10 at the same time. Oh those updates..... :lol:
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗