Football

Running around and stuff.
DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Re: Football

Post by DjchunKfunK » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:04 am

Draw was a fair result. Thought Xhaka and Torerria were brilliant, especially as they were technically outnumbered in midfield. The team continues to improve and it's great that substitutes are able to have an impact, amazing what a bit of competition for places can do.

I'm more happy with all the humble pie pundits are going to have to eat after saying we were going to get stuffed. Collectively they continue to show that their grasp of football is severely lacking.

I think you could argue that the fact he was there he was effecting play as Leno had to account for both Mane and Firmino so he couldn't know who was going to take the shot. I know he wasn't offside in the 'second phase', but even ignoring that he was effecting play by being there if he hadn't been offside he might not have beaten the defender to the ball so he gained an advantage by being offside.

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:43 pm

Also, as a sidepoint for anybody who enjoys a laugh, the Netflix documentary on Sunderland's disastrous season in the Championship is availabe from next month. I've heard it's alright as far as football documentaries go, though obviously less entertaining to go through it all over again.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:14 pm

A switch in my brain just went *click* as you mentioned Sunderland... Tommy! :o (the name should have given it away, I know ¬_¬...)

You had like a furby for your avatar, or something like that, didn't you? How've you been keeping?

I must admit I kinda lost what's been going on at Sunderland after relegation, any sight of them turning it round?

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:34 am

Sir Jack of Ross is in there now. The boys the real deal. I hope they give him the time and I think they just might.

I'm sure Tommy will give us the inside scoop though. :)

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:03 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:14 pm
A switch in my brain just went *click* as you mentioned Sunderland... Tommy! :o (the name should have given it away, I know ¬_¬...)

You had like a furby for your avatar, or something like that, didn't you? How've you been keeping?

I must admit I kinda lost what's been going on at Sunderland after relegation, any sight of them turning it round?
I did! Changed it one Christmas and forgot to ever remove the Santa hat. Your memory is superior to mine, I'd never have remembered the furby.

I'm keeping well. Living up in the heady heights of Edinburgh now. Weird being the only considered a 'Southerner', but I'm adapting. Yourself?

Re. Sunderland - Last season was definitely the grimmest of my lifetime. When we were relegated from the Premier, it had been a long time coming and an opporutnity to clear out the 'deadwood' seemed like the best thing for us. But the club had reached the point where we were another QPR. Players weren't good enough or didn't have the right attitude to attract the same money elsewhere so why would they leave? Our new owners summarised it well when they bought the club; we were well known in football circles as a club where players could come and take the piss.

A mutual friend of mine knew a prominent player at during the Championship season and it had reached a point where he was doing extra physio while injured, went into the canteen to get something to eat afterwards and the chef just refused to make him food. 'Make it your fucking self'. Our record signing going AWOL this season and leaving for nothing sums us up nicely. Also, if you want a good laugh, look up Ricky Alvarez. We paid for a player who was never ours.

Things are on the up now though. The new owners, Stewart Donald and Charlie Methven (and Juan Sartori) seem to have done the impossible and really turned the ship around in a short space of time. Culture's entirely different now too. Had the fans involved in restoring the stadium, they sit in with the fans, do almost weekly or fortnightly podcasts and radio appearances to let people know what's going on. If you have a problem Donald (the majority shareholder) is reachable on twitter and replies to every message he receives.

We should've won at the weekend and finally taken the top spot from Portsmouth but only managed a draw. Promising times though. An anonymous fan is also donating a goat for every win we get in Jack Ross' name. So there's that.

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:10 pm

Sol Campbell, finally in management.

Anybody who hasn't watched his first press conference ought to. It's really something.

I find him to be odious (and a leech), but his sheer arrogance is astounding. I hope he backs it up.

The Jackal

Post by The Jackal » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:06 pm

This thread needs more war crimes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-46537561
Mighty Horse Rocks The Fat Ass.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:08 am

Oh noes, Mourinho's been sacked! :o

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:19 pm

It was always coming. No idea what United need but for whatever reason he wasn’t offering anything to facilitate it.

Also, shameless plug for the Sunderland documentary on Netflix. If you want to see what it’s like when a football club goes very very bad.

I’m not quite through them yet but some of the clips are outrageous.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:22 pm

Actually, yes, that does sound pretty interesting, might give it a watch tonight when the wife's working.

What period does it cover, Tommy? Does it cover the Adam Johnson & Margaret Byrne stuff?

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:36 pm

United ruining things for everyone else yet again.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:39 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:36 pm
United ruining things for everyone else yet again.
I know, right? I'm gutted!

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:42 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:22 pm
Actually, yes, that does sound pretty interesting, might give it a watch tonight when the wife's working.

What period does it cover, Tommy? Does it cover the Adam Johnson & Margaret Byrne stuff?
Nah. The first season covers our relegation onwards. The logic being that we might bounce back, and a transformation would be required.

Of course, in reality we already know what happened. I’ll not spoil it but certain players come off horrifically.

They’re currently filming a second season which covers the purchase of the club by the new owners and our (fingers crossed) comeback.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:56 pm

Tommy wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:42 pm
Sly Boots wrote:

Nah. The first season covers our relegation onwards. The logic being that we might bounce back, and a transformation would be required.

Of course, in reality we already know what happened. I’ll not spoil it but certain players come off horrifically.

They’re currently filming a second season which covers the purchase of the club by the new owners and our (fingers crossed) comeback.
Cool, cheers.

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:26 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:56 pm
Tommy wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:42 pm
Sly Boots wrote:

Cool, cheers.
If you do watch let me know your thoughts. Always keen to hear what outsiders think.