Mighty Horse Rocks The Fat Ass.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: Football

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:45 pm

The Jackal wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:26 pm
lol mackemz
Pretty much, watching episode 1 and they've just been humped 5-0 by Celtic in preseason, and one of their players was caught on film saying the rest of the players are shit :lol:

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:25 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:45 pm
The Jackal wrote:
lol mackemz
Pretty much, watching episode 1 and they've just been humped 5-0 by Celtic in preseason, and one of their players was caught on film saying the rest of the players are shit :lol:
Not even scratched the surface. It’s hilarious to think I thought that was as bad as it could get a the time.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:28 pm

Tommy wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:25 pm
Sly Boots wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
lol mackemz
Not even scratched the surface. It’s hilarious to think I thought that was as bad as it could get a the time.
Second episode now, enjoying this. George Honeyman coming across very well, and I see he's your skipper this season. Sounds like a nice local boy makes good story.

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:53 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:28 pm
Tommy wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:25 pm
Sly Boots wrote:

Second episode now, enjoying this. George Honeyman coming across very well, and I see he's your skipper this season. Sounds like a nice local boy makes good story.
Yeah he comes across well. Unsure if it’s been edited that way post-captaincy or what but he clearly has a better grasp on what the club needed to do than anybody else involved.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:01 pm

Fourth episode, and first sighting of Jack Rodwell (not on the pitch, though, obviously). I nearly fell off my chair... I'd forgotten he was still there. What an awful signing he turned out to be, shite on the pitch, then didn't even play, all while being a huge drain on resources.

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:26 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:01 pm
Fourth episode, and first sighting of Jack Rodwell (not on the pitch, though, obviously). I nearly fell off my chair... I'd forgotten he was still there. What an awful signing he turned out to be, shite on the pitch, then didn't even play, all while being a huge drain on resources.
You’re getting to the most infuriating part. In my opinion.

I hated him anyway, but seeing this particular clip I just wanted to attack him.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:04 pm

Finished up the series yesterday, thought it was a really interesting watch. Was clear from quite early on that it would have been very hard for anyone to keep that team up, lacking in so many areas. However I do think the fans didn't help early on, it could just be how the documentary portrayed them but right from the start they were on the teams back if they performed poorly. Speaking as an Arsenal fan I know how the atmosphere at a ground can stymie players. By getting on their backs so early I think they helped contribute to the early fall down the league.

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:08 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:04 pm
Finished up the series yesterday, thought it was a really interesting watch. Was clear from quite early on that it would have been very hard for anyone to keep that team up, lacking in so many areas. However I do think the fans didn't help early on, it could just be how the documentary portrayed them but right from the start they were on the teams back if they performed poorly. Speaking as an Arsenal fan I know how the atmosphere at a ground can stymie players. By getting on their backs so early I think they helped contribute to the early fall down the league.
I can’t speak too much on it because I wasn’t in Sunderland last year so didn’t go to the matches. But a complaint I have heard about the editing is how they’ve dramatised fairly unimportant stuff. Fans foaming at the mouth over misplaced passes, celebrating draws like we’d won the league. People claim it didn’t happen.

I imagine the truth is somewhere in between the series and the complaints. The producers are Sunderland fans so I doubt they were out to get anybody.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:52 pm

Watched a couple more... Grabban: total Edwin.

Also, there's something about Jonny Williams playing style that puts me in mind of the Saints Row mini-game where you're throwing yourself into traffic to try and win insurance payouts :lol:. Poor guy takes the hits, doesn't he?

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:01 pm

And done. It was nice to end on a bit of a positive note, I daresay the same was true for the fans at the time. Will look forward to the next series and a more hopeful type of documentary.

Feel a bit sorry for Coleman, he's a decent manager and the situation he was handed was unworkable really. I felt at the time, and still do, that he probably should have been kept on to lead the promotion campaign, but perhaps the new owners just wanted a new broom at all levels just to reset the club. The way it's going right now it's hard to argue against that being the right decision.

Looked up Josh Maja, seems to be banging them in regularly now in League One, looks like he could be a bit of a gem there, so maybe one positive to Grabban leaving when he did. Although the way he carried on after scoring for Villa and in his interview after was poor.

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:23 am

Sly Boots wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:01 pm
And done. It was nice to end on a bit of a positive note, I daresay the same was true for the fans at the time. Will look forward to the next series and a more hopeful type of documentary.

Feel a bit sorry for Coleman, he's a decent manager and the situation he was handed was unworkable really. I felt at the time, and still do, that he probably should have been kept on to lead the promotion campaign, but perhaps the new owners just wanted a new broom at all levels just to reset the club. The way it's going right now it's hard to argue against that being the right decision.

Looked up Josh Maja, seems to be banging them in regularly now in League One, looks like he could be a bit of a gem there, so maybe one positive to Grabban leaving when he did. Although the way he carried on after scoring for Villa and in his interview after was poor.
The story about Coleman basically goes that had they sacked him when they came in it would’ve cost them £1.7m straight from the get go, so Short got rid. Donald claims he never asked for Coleman to get the bullet but I’m unsure. The odd thing was he also admitted Coleman was on the shortlist for managers he might bring in. As it happens, Ross seems to have proved to be a better choice.

Coleman’s a lovely bloke but ultimately he was out of his depth. Maybe it was impossible, but we were so poor at times.

Why does nobody who watches it mention Jack Rodwell in the physio room?!

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:02 am

Was the bit where he's laughing about not playing at the weekend? On the one hand it wasn't his fault the club offered him that wage and messed up on the relegation clause, but on the other still shocking attitude from him. When does professional pride kick in?

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:05 am

Sly Boots wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:02 am
Was the bit where he's laughing about not playing at the weekend? On the one hand it wasn't his fault the club offered him that wage and messed up on the relegation clause, but on the other still shocking attitude from him. When does professional pride kick in?
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dail ... blame.html

“Thought you would’ve been playing at the weekend Jack”

*hands behind head laughing* “absolutely no chance!”