The Absolute State Of It - It's The UK Politics Thread!

Exciting adventures IRL.
Wrathbone
Local

Re: The elephant in the room - Brexit

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:27 pm

This is a perfect example of the sort of media delusions we’re being fed:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46613609

Plenty there to imply that drug abuse and alcoholism are to blame, and not a single suggestion that the Conservative government driving people into poverty has anything to do with it. But obviously smear stories on the opposition are much more in the public interest.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:40 pm

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:16 pm

At one point the guy accuses Soubry, an MP calling for a second vote, of not being able to handle democracy. Just a terrifying lack of awareness.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:36 pm

Fascism has more of a grasp on parts of this country than people even care to think.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:42 pm

Huh. One of the guys in that video phoned in to LBC today to defend their actions.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/ ... itler-lbc/

He doesn't seem to understand that four men shouting at one woman in the street calling her a traitor and comparing her to Hitler could be seen as scary or threatening.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:11 pm

The scary thing is that a lot of people think his actions were perfectly acceptable too. I've been browsing through various Pro-Brexit Facebook groups like #Fight4Brexit and the Democratic Football Lads Alliance and some of the comments are just ridiculous.

At the end of the day, regardless of what your own personal opinions are or why you voted the way you did, backing the Leave vote means you've thrown your lot in with people like this. How that isn't enough to make people think that perhaps they're on the wrong side of the argument I'll never understand.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:44 am

Democratic Football Lads Alliance

:lol:

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:58 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:27 pm
This is a perfect example of the sort of media delusions we’re being fed:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46613609

Plenty there to imply that drug abuse and alcoholism are to blame, and not a single suggestion that the Conservative government driving people into poverty has anything to do with it. But obviously smear stories on the opposition are much more in the public interest.
Tbh I wonder whether Corbyn keeps more support if he’d just admitted he said stupid woman and explained why she’s a stupid woman. Because she is.

Kills the issue, those who think it’s PC gone mad are placated, and we can move on to actually important issues.

Strudel

Post by Strudel » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:51 am

I think it would be a rather silly thing for him to admit to something he didn't do. And I also don't believe the likes of the Daily Fail or the Torygraph would just let it pass.

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:58 am

Strudel wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:51 am
I think it would be a rather silly thing for him to admit to something he didn't do. And I also don't believe the likes of the Daily Fail or the Torygraph would just let it pass.
What makes you so certain he didn’t say it?

My first instinct watching the clip was that he didn’t but the more I watched the more I thought he said woman.

eny

Post by eny » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:30 am

He didn't.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:46 am

eny wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:30 am
He didn't.
Oh right, I hadn’t thought of it like that.

Strudel

Post by Strudel » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:49 am

Just watch the shape his mouth makes after the word stupid; he's clearly not creating the shape you need for "Wo" (tightening the lower lip and drawing in the cheeks) and then "Ma". The shape you need to enunciate "Pee" and "Ple" are the same, and his lips make the same lift on both syllables (and also when pronouncing the P in Stupid).

It's not entirely dissimilar to Woman, which is why it's easy to believe that that's what he said but there are clear, albeit small, differences.

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:05 pm

Strudel wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:49 am
Just watch the shape his mouth makes after the word stupid; he's clearly not creating the shape you need for "Wo" (tightening the lower lip and drawing in the cheeks) and then "Ma". The shape you need to enunciate "Pee" and "Ple" are the same, and his lips make the same lift on both syllables (and also when pronouncing the P in Stupid).

It's not entirely dissimilar to Woman, which is why it's easy to believe that that's what he said but there are clear, albeit small, differences.
:lol:

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:15 pm

I thought he said 'people'. He's glancing across the front benches of the Tories as he says it too.

I don't actually care though, he would have been right either way. What should have been news was that he was asking her questions about her disastrous Brexit strategy and that the Tories responded with a panto performance. Or that a homeless guy who worked as a kitchen assistant in central London died outside parliament on the same day.