I Just Watched (Films)

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Animalmother
Local

Re: I Just Watched (Films)

Post by Animalmother » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:02 pm

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

I really enjoyed it but fuck me is it grim in places.

Can't think of one

Post by Can't think of one » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:52 am

Star Wars: Last Jedi

Gave this film another try...I remember back in college someone in my IT class loved the Star Wars prequels and he argued that most fans hated them because it didn't match their vision of what they wanted the prequels to be and there wasn't enough fanservice for them etc. Of course, that argument is a load of bollocks but the one thing I really wanted from The Last Jedi was just to see Luke do something awesome or memorable...So what's the most memorable thing he does in The Last Jedi? Drink sea cow milk...Thanks, Rian Johnson!

Tichinde

Post by Tichinde » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:12 am

Can't think of one wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:52 am
the one thing I really wanted from The Last Jedi was just to see Luke do something awesome or memorable...So what's the most memorable thing he does in The Last Jedi?
Spoiler
Says goodbye to his sister, force projects himself across the galaxy (causing the rabid fans to melt the internet which is always fun), buys the resistance time to escape in arguably one of the coolest scenes in the recent episodes, has a cracking scene with Yoda to inject some comedy into his depression as the final torch holder of the jedi.....finally dies and becomes one with the force as both of his mentors did before him....
.....yeah, I'm ok with that as a list for memorable things for a character to do ;)

That's neatly put me in the mood to re-watch it actually :D
"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:14 pm

Yeah, whilst there were several problems with the film, I don't think that the most memorable thing Luke did was the milk scene!
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:48 pm

The prequels showed us what happens when you let powerful characters showboat to excess: spinny-flip CGI Yoda. Thank fuck they didn’t do that to Luke.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:13 pm

Escape Plan 2

Watched this whilst convalescing over Christmas and boy is it a bad film. The plot was stupid, the acting terrible and Stallone's car crash of a face gets worse every time I see it.

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:15 pm

The Favourite
I enjoyed that very much.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Can't think of one

Post by Can't think of one » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:16 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:13 pm
Escape Plan 2

Watched this whilst convalescing over Christmas and boy is it a bad film. The plot was stupid, the acting terrible and Stallone's car crash of a face gets worse every time I see it.
Same! Watch it on Netflix over Christmas and what a load of boring shite. I like that Sylvester Stallone and Dave Bautista are on the front cover... I knew Sylvester Stallone's screentime was gonna be about 15 minutes but I didn't know Dave Bautista's screen time was gonna be 5 minutes...

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:28 pm

What We Do In The Shadows

New Zealand mockumentary-style vampire movie, a bit like a mashup of Flight of the Conchords (and stars both Jermaine Clement and Rhys Darby), Interview With a Vampire and a few dollops of Spinal Tap.

Quite fun. On Prime at the moment and worth a watch.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:36 am

Sly Boots wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:28 pm

New Zealand mockumentary-style vampire movie, a bit like a mashup of Flight of the Conchords (and stars both Jermaine Clement and Rhys Darby), Interview With a Vampire and a few dollops of Spinal Tap.

It's a really good film. The director did Hunt for the Wilderpeople recently which is also really good. Also responsible for Thor Ragnarok.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:39 am

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:36 am
Sly Boots wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:28 pm

It's a really good film. The director did Hunt for the Wilderpeople recently which is also really good. Also responsible for Thor Ragnarok.
Yeah, that kind of Conchords/NZ-style humour is my kind of thing. I held back on my enthusiasm a little as I wasn't sure if the same would be true for everyone :lol:. But I did really like it.

HftW has been on my watch-list for a while, but the missus has been resistant so far.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:42 pm

What We Do In The Shadows used to be on Netflix. It's a great movie.

Being a vampire is shit. You can't eat chips.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:40 pm

one of the best comedies of the teens

see it !

Best joke ever about software analysts
Spoiler
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:00 pm

Stan & Ollie and The Favourite

Two biopics that could not be further different. One is sweet about friendship and love and comedy and the other is about people hating each other, vomiting and everyone is pretty much horrible. Of the two I would say I found The Favourite to be the better film only because the direction was original and the style of cinematography was different. Where The Favourite tried to do new things, Stan & Ollie was pretty much paint by numbers. The saving grace of Stan & Ollie was the acting by John C Reilly and Steve Coogan (who did a marvellous job). Where Stan & Ollie had the budget, the Favourite did not and it showed. It was a glorified TV production or theatre production with some solid acting but it lacked any degree of grandeur.

Of the two films (which I saw back to back) I would re-watch Stan & Ollie as they are much more comfortable to be with and, interesting, was more layered in character development than Olivier Coleman's Queen Ann. Olivier Coleman did do an fantastic job, but the film started in Queen Ann life when she was already suffering from depression and ill health. It was a case of going from bad to worse. A more interesting film, imo, would have been to see this woman slowly go mad after she lost 17 children. I do give The Favourite a lot of credit for showing all the pain and warts of history but other productions did it better (think Orlando,The Draughtsman's Contract or Amadeus).

Ironically I laughed out loud more in The Favourite (there are some very funny jokes) than I did in Stan & Ollie. Go figure.

Stan & Ollie 7

The Favourite 7
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Alan

Post by Alan » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:36 pm

Mary Queen Of Scots

I think Ronan and Robbie are two of the very best actresses around and they both give great performances. The films a big dud though. It’s fine if it’s on telly on a lazy Sunday but don’t waste your cinema time on this
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.