Hatredsheart

How the Entertainment Industry Solved Piracy, Then Made It Popular Again

Post by Hatredsheart » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:37 pm

Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 π–‹π–Šπ–†π–— π•Ώπ–π–Š π•½π–Šπ–†π–•π–Šπ–—

elgaucho

Re: How the Entertainment Industry Solved Piracy, Then Made It Popular Again

Post by elgaucho » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:40 pm

Indeed. I've long said that there needs to be regulation in the entertainment industry that forces shows (after a "fair" exclusivity period) to be available on all platforms, with some kind of royalties model.

Consumers should be picking the best platform provider to watch shows on, not have to subscribe to 15 of them to be able to watch a gamut of shows.

And before you say it, yes I know it's unrealistic and not going to happen, but it doesn't change the fact that it probably ought to work that way.
Proud PW Member since 15/10/2003
A lurktastic 2678 posts!

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:14 pm

yep just as we suspected. Like the "live service" model in games, people cannot keep on shelling out more and more, something will give. Now ideally we do not actually need this content and that we should pay for it if and when we can, but the world does not work that way. This is internet age when we expect everything for free or paid for that delivers the most convenient and best value. People will just pirate content if they cannot afford to buy it or have no desire to. Given corporations just see as wallets anyway I do not lose any sleep over this.

Until my son begs me to sub to Disney, I will not get it. Unless BritBox expands its library of content I will not bother. With all the original stuff coming out from Netflix and Prime, that is good enough for me (for now).
Games playing : Assassin's Creed II / Just Cause 3 / The Messenger / One Finger Death Punch / Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:38 am

Just cancelled my Netflix account. I don't use it enough to warrant the monthly fee. Doesn't help that my girlfriend has zero interest in the stuff I like to watch and I only watch TV at hers. I always game at mine :)
-- To be completed at some point --